BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was having a discussion with a buddy of mine in regards to safety of the M6 vs something like an older Z06 Vette etc. I expressed that personally, I feel a lot safer and more confident behind the wheel of the M6 vs a lot of other high performance cars. Does anyone have any info to back that up? Any story's about people walking a way from what seemed to be like a bad crash? Just seems very logical seeing how these cars are built that they would stack up well compared to others. Of course, we pay for that in added weight :)

T

·
0 Posts
I have both a C6 Z06 and obviously M6 coupe & vert.

The m6 front end is mostly aluminum, so it is very soft. While it is "safe", it damaged easily and will become a total loss very quickly as if it were in comparison to an all steel frame car such as an E92 M3. The M3 will have a better chance in a front end collision because it is a steel frame and is stronger.

The Z06 is entirely an aluminum frame & it totals out very very easily. It is also lower to the ground, so that makes it just that much worse. I hit a lava rock in the road with my Z06 and it did $20k worth of damage to my drivers front wheel assembly and frame. Luckily I was able to get it fixed and not total out the car, but this is just one example as to how fragile the aluminum frame is.

The newer F12 and F13 M6 are back to a steel frame which is cheaper to build and stronger for BMW. I expect to see less total loss examples at salvage yards over the next ten years of these models because of the strength that their frames have.

This is also something I studied before starting my business. The e60 m5 and e63/e64 are a rare breed of bmws that damaged very easily in front end collisions due to the frame material. BMW has since moved away from this experiment in favor of lower production costs and a stronger frame.

In my opinion, the e63/e64 are equal in terms of safety in an accident aside from the rear end collision. I think the very will fare quite better than the coupe because it has so much reinforcement back there for the top, etc. There is a reason it is 500# heavier than the coupe. It is built like a completely different car from the a-pillar back.

Enjoy the car, but be careful in S6 mode. Most cars I bought that see crashed are victims of the S6 ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
There is a reason that not one of the many generations of corvettes have ever been offered up for crash testing.

The insurance institute does not need to spend money on doing their more severe testing since they already know what the results would be from their loss data which is also reflected in premiums.

I would argue if you know how to drive all you need to be concerned about is active safety rather than passive safety, the vette tops this category

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the good info! Truth is, I baby the @$#% out of my M6 just because I love it so much lovelove I do some spirited driving but rarely take to 8k or above. Only time I've been in S6 is a few times to show off the features of the cars but most of the time just in 5. Heck, my M mode is still in MDM (still don't know it as well as I should to be fully off). Just strolling around even in 400 mode tacking up the RPMs with the Meisterschaft Exhaust thats on it top down melts me so very much :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts