BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the wait probably varies from dealer to dealer. I put a deposit down @ a NJ dealership in July of 2003, at that time I was told that I would be number four in line. Whan I stopped in last number I was told that I am number fourteen.

Am I better off going out at this point putting an alternate deposit at a low volume dealership out of State somewhere? Is it possible to really verify ranking and translate that into a wait time once production starts?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Welcome.

How the heck did they move you DOWN the list from no.4 to no.14? As far as I understand, your deposit should stick you on your no.4 spot and no worse. In fact you move up if others drop off. How do they manage to put 10 others in front of you? You should point this out to them and keep pace at no.4

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
bob belle said:
I understand the wait probably varies from dealer to dealer. I put a deposit down @ a NJ dealership in July of 2003, at that time I was told that I would be number four in line. Whan I stopped in last number I was told that I am number fourteen.

Am I better off going out at this point putting an alternate deposit at a low volume dealership out of State somewhere? Is it possible to really verify ranking and translate that into a wait time once production starts?
It indeed sounds like it's time for another dealer. If your deposit is at a place that 'sells' higher spots in line, then you're screwed. It can only get worse from here, and who wants to reward such a business with your hard-earned dollars?

Your suggestion to find a low-volume dealership elsewhere makes quite good sense. Find a midwestern or south central dealership with few or no current takers, and get on their list. Their allocation will be filled at a much lower rate, but you'll still be better off in the end.

FWIW, I left a $500 deposit nearly three years ago (not that I was tremendously excited by the E60 M5; rather, I knew I'd never get rid of my E39 Beast before then!) at my dealer for the #1 slot. On my current car, I also left a $500 deposit nearly two years prior for the #6 spot on the list, and I took delivery in March, 2000.

Up until we spec out the actual vehicle, my deposit is fully refundable. And if I want to let others pass ahead of me (say, for the 6-spd manual tranny...) then I can do so and still maintain my priority.

I still don't know what I'm gonna do when the actual time comes. I'm still not 100% sold, and will need to see the new Beast in person.

-Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave,

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering what States would be lower in volume would a publication like Auto News rank volume or does BMW list sales numbers. Also ther are two factory owned stores inNY I remember in 2000 they had the largest selections.

Bob

Teutonaddict said:
It indeed sounds like it's time for another dealer. If your deposit is at a place that 'sells' higher spots in line, then you're screwed. It can only get worse from here, and who wants to reward such a business with your hard-earned dollars?

Your suggestion to find a low-volume dealership elsewhere makes quite good sense. Find a midwestern or south central dealership with few or no current takers, and get on their list. Their allocation will be filled at a much lower rate, but you'll still be better off in the end.

FWIW, I left a $500 deposit nearly three years ago (not that I was tremendously excited by the E60 M5; rather, I knew I'd never get rid of my E39 Beast before then!) at my dealer for the #1 slot. On my current car, I also left a $500 deposit nearly two years prior for the #6 spot on the list, and I took delivery in March, 2000.

Up until we spec out the actual vehicle, my deposit is fully refundable. And if I want to let others pass ahead of me (say, for the 6-spd manual tranny...) then I can do so and still maintain my priority.

I still don't know what I'm gonna do when the actual time comes. I'm still not 100% sold, and will need to see the new Beast in person.

-Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mentioned it initally they claim it was an administration error. I doubt it.

M6 Forever said:
Welcome.

How the heck did they move you DOWN the list from no.4 to no.14? As far as I understand, your deposit should stick you on your no.4 spot and no worse. In fact you move up if others drop off. How do they manage to put 10 others in front of you? You should point this out to them and keep pace at no.4

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
was it supposedly an administration error when you put the deposit down, or since that time?

Either way, I would tell them to keep the original agreement (number 4) or cut me a check for my deposit.

Going to a lower volume dealer might or might not work out. If you are far down their list, it might take forever. I think I would start out with mid to large dealers in other cities to see what the wait lists are like.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Bob --

When I called around several months ago, I found at least one dealer that was willing to put me first in line with a deposit. Although the dealer had a list with a number of people, none of them had placed a deposit. I was told that those who make actual deposits will be in line ahead of those who had not. (I chose to place a deposit with my local dealer because I am targeting an early 2006 purchase. I was initially #17 and, as of a few weeks ago, was up to #9.) Other dealers had lists so long (comprised of those who placed deposits) that they were not adding anyone to their lists. So, I suggest you call around and ask specific questions about each dealer's list. I also suggest that, when you call, you ask for whoever at the dealership maintains the list, since different salespeople's knowledge of the list and the dealership's policies differ.

I fully agree with others' comment that there is no apparent justification for you to have moved down your dealer's list if you had placed a deposit. I would be concerned that you will slide further still.

·
Registered
331 Posts
bob belle said:

Bob- what dealer in NJ are you talking about?

·
Registered
703 Posts
yes going down the rank is very unlikely, get out of there asap.

When I first ordered the M5 I was number 12 on the list, I am now 4th, my guess is many where expecting spring time delivery as a 05 model, but now it is fall time as a 06 model so I think some have bailed out because of this, putting this car brand new in the slush and in calcium is not very nice...

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts