BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer said spark plug changes are not at 37k miles and should come up in the CBS when due, is that true? I seen other post that say its a mileage interval item.

·
Registered
170 Posts
mine were replaced (to my surprise) somewhere b/w 20 and 25k?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Mine were replaced at 30k, what does your car say in the info service?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have 40k on my M and I just did the NGK laser platinum plugs yesterday.... runs like a charm.. just a pain to replace.

·
Registered
759 Posts
yes it should show in the I drive when it's time to change the plugs not necessary on certain mileage it depends on your driving behavior. you can ask for a plug replace anytime if your paying for it otherwise they wont replace it before it shows 3000 miles remaining to the change .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes it should show in the I drive when it's time to change the plugs not necessary on certain mileage it depends on your driving behavior. you can ask for a plug replace anytime if your paying for it otherwise they wont replace it before it shows 3000 miles remaining to the change .

thanks, so the dealer is correct. What service will show up on the system? Will it simply say change plugs or something like system check?

·
Registered
759 Posts
yeah it will appear there when time due or you can check the remaining mileage to change under the service menu. same where you check for engine oil and brakes .

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I just changed my plugs 2 weekends ago. Fairly straightforward procedure, bought the OE plugs on amazon.com for $10 each. I've heard some guys on the board paid close to $1k for the job. Yikes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can back up this claim - I was just quoted $845 for plugs from my dealer.

Does anybody have any good resources with a how-to on how to change your own plugs? at even $13 a pop for high end plugs I cannot imagine what the dealer is selling me that's worth 10 times that price!?

I'm running an SMG at 65k miles at this point.

Thanks!

FIRST POST!!!! (of many to be sure if things like these keep coming up!)

·
Registered
3,988 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Plugs are pretty straight forward. The hardest part is getting the coils off without damaging the locking mechanism.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Doing plugs this weekend, should be easy. Just swapped out my grungy air filters with just OEM ones and it was definitely choking up the beast, cheers to routine maintenance :cheers:

·
Registered
206 Posts
ok whats the best place to buy oem spark plugs? where are they on amazon for $10?

Also, is it worth it to go with aftermaket sparkplugs or better to stick to oem?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I got 10 of the LKR8AP from here. Not sure what the difference is between those and the 4471s though.

Autoplicity.com

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Read the DIY on subject and stick with OEM plugs. Does not mean you have to buy from dealer, but I would not put anything in the engine other then recommended plugs. Well unless you're smarter than the original engineer and know the exact performance the plug must meet to ensure engine performance.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_0703_spark_plug_guide/viewall.html

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I wish I did a write up on it. But its really easy. Just remove pollen filter boxes and the air filter boxes. Unbolt the mounting bolts of the coolant reservoir, the black plastic coil cover snaps off, I think. I vaguely remember, its been a few years. But trust me, just get it there, its very straightforward. If there's a part you can't figure out how to take out, post it here and we'll guide you. Its an easy 1-2 hour job to do on a Saturday morning.

·
Registered
99 Posts
10buks a plug are does the original ones that they sale at the dealer...? thats cheap if thats the og ones. I only put og parts when it comes to electrical stuff specially plugs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts