BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
7E6DB010-D49F-4BFC-94EB-D2098CA6380C.jpeg Was a bit of a pain. I took the entire side off with the buttons so I could do it under better lighting. If you look at the red button you can see it clips into those two holes on the side of the button so that’s where I pushed the black button from the back side. The whole thing shot out but the button came out of the frame when both shot out. I thought I broke it but its all made to come out. Then you push the frame back in and put the red button in from the top and it all clicks back together.

One thing is if you take the panel off be careful there are two little white T shaped inserts that flew out and I had no idea what it was from at first. They go in the holes of the up/down arrows on the back side of the button to make the button work. So make sure you don’t lose those.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
68 with tax and shipping for me. Overall not a terrible price. I wish there was a blue one to match the blue start button

think I got my start button for $20 on ebay. And got the M button for $20 on ebay before he raised the price. $40 shipped for both :devil

·
Registered
5,760 Posts

Removed the trim and drilled out the old one to make it easier:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had a quick look at the Start/Stop button but couldn't see how to remove it. Popped the housing that it sits in (with the headlight switch, its RHD) but couldn't see how to get it off without removing the entire button assembly. Quickly put it all back together lest I break something. What did I miss?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Had a quick look at the Start/Stop button but couldn't see how to remove it. Popped the housing that it sits in (with the headlight switch, its RHD) but couldn't see how to get it off without removing the entire button assembly. Quickly put it all back together lest I break something. What did I miss?
you have to pull out the entire assembly. then you'll see that the start/stop button assembly can be removed. once you remove it you simply pry off the black start/stop cap, snap the red one in place the put everything back together in reverse order.

·
Registered
28 Posts
you have to pull out the entire assembly. then you'll see that the start/stop button assembly can be removed. once you remove it you simply pry off the black start/stop cap, snap the red one in place the put everything back together in reverse order.
Many thanks. I thought that may have been the case but didnt want to start pulling it apart until I was certain.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I ended up using a trim removal tool and a small pick for the button. I only removed the outer ring and carefully picked the button off without breaking any of the little plastic tabs on the button. Took me like 5min to install.

Tools I used to remove outer ring and button.

Button removed

Button installed

Waiting to purchase a new steering wheel to install my red M button :grin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks mate. Of course my setup differs to yours.

On RHD cars the start/stop is mounted in the headlight switch area. So, I removed the panel containing the switch and start/stop. Then removed the button assembly, popped the black button off. Replaced it with the glorious red and reinstalled. Took 5 minutes once I had a T6 torx in hand. The steering wheel was as simple, but man when those little white rocker button things come flying out they are hard to find. Especially when they drop into a seat rail. Thank goodness for garden blower vacs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks mate. Of course my setup differs to yours.

On RHD cars the start/stop is mounted in the headlight switch area. So, I removed the panel containing the switch and start/stop. Then removed the button assembly, popped the black button off. Replaced it with the glorious red and reinstalled. Took 5 minutes once I had a T6 torx in hand. The steering wheel was as simple, but man when those little white rocker button things come flying out they are hard to find. Especially when they drop into a seat rail. Thank goodness for garden blower vacs.
Care to share some pictures? I'm curious now to see how it's mounted on RHD vehicles :grin

·
Registered
358 Posts
Fail!! I wish I looked at the red button a bit more careful before removing everything. Wrong size :( I think this was meant for a E90 M3. I reached out to Autotecknic about receiving the wrong size.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Fail!! I wish I looked at the red button a bit more careful before removing everything. Wrong size :( I think this was meant for a E90 M3. I reached out to Autotecknic about receiving the wrong size.

That sucks!

61 - 80 of 90 Posts
About this Discussion
89 Replies
25 Participants
horse86
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing