BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What range are those of you who've taken delivery seeing from a full tank - I'd love to get a sense of realistic range under various conditions.

Thanks,
Bill
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
866 Posts
Hi... I picked mine up on Friday and got about 250-300 miles from a tank on a long motorway journey, but around town I'm getting under 200. That's the only downside of the car that I have found so far, especially with the price of petrol here. It costs $100 to fill the tank!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,723 Posts
Filthy Monkey said:
Hi... I picked mine up on Friday and got about 250-300 miles from a tank on a long motorway journey, but around town I'm getting under 200. That's the only downside of the car that I have found so far, especially with the price of petrol here. It costs $100 to fill the tank!!
When the car is broken in this should improve 10-15%. You should get about 15-16 MPG on average city highway with them about equal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
Almost 15000km and getting 14.0 - 14.5 L / 100km in average driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Filthy Monkey said:
Hi... I picked mine up on Friday and got about 250-300 miles from a tank on a long motorway journey, but around town I'm getting under 200. That's the only downside of the car that I have found so far, especially with the price of petrol here. It costs $100 to fill the tank!!
That's like a full size SUV. A GAS guzzler. under 10.8 mpg in the city. The gas costs around $2.60 (premium) a gallon in NYC..... It will cost $48 to fill up...Ouch.... I guess it is all relative to what you are used to.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Filthy Monkey said:
Hi... I picked mine up on Friday and got about 250-300 miles from a tank on a long motorway journey, but around town I'm getting under 200. That's the only downside of the car that I have found so far, especially with the price of petrol here. It costs $100 to fill the tank!!
Thanks for the info - I have a fairly regular trip that is about 265 miles. My E39M5 can make it no problem, even with, ahem, spirited highweay driving. Usually a Friday night run with kids sleeping in the car, so having to stop midway and re-fuel would definitely be a negative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
cidair said:
Almost 15000km and getting 14.0 - 14.5 L / 100km in average driving.
hrm ok. Living in Australia, the petrol bowsers are sometimes few and far between... expecially between where I live and points south.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
cidair said:
Almost 15000km and getting 14.0 - 14.5 L / 100km in average driving.
Well from the average point of view similar to existing E39 M5. Not too bad comparing increase in power by more than 25%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
Jim Dolan said:
When the car is broken in this should improve 10-15%. You should get about 15-16 MPG on average city highway with them about equal.
Not sure that I follow you on that one. Highway mileage at crusing speed should be substantially better than in the city. I can eek out almost 22 mpg in my E39 on the highway. I suspect I'll be able to get at least 19 mpg, maybe even 20 mpg, cruising in p400 mode on the highway at US speeds in the E60. On the other hand, 10-12 mpg for the E60 in the city wouldn't surprise me.

Mileage will vary with driving style. If you play, you'll pay.

Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
The tank on E60s really is stupid small at 70l - my old E31 has a 95?l tank - much more like it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
hythe said:
The tank on E60s really is stupid small at 70l - my old E31 has a 95?l tank - much more like it...
mmm I wonder what the chances are of getting a bigger tank in next years "update" is... Or maybe just get it custom increased or something. It's a pain. Personally I like a tank that does about 700km at least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,723 Posts
rsteele said:
Not sure that I follow you on that one. Highway mileage at crusing speed should be substantially better than in the city. I can eek out almost 22 mpg in my E39 on the highway. I suspect I'll be able to get at least 19 mpg, maybe even 20 mpg, cruising in p400 mode on the highway at US speeds in the E60. On the other hand, 10-12 mpg for the E60 in the city wouldn't surprise me.

Mileage will vary with driving style. If you play, you'll pay.

Richard
My meter says 15.5mpg after thousands of miles. I drive about 50/50 city/highway. I don't drive slow. I would hope the E60 would be about the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Reminds me of the crazy Estonians in their E34 M5 on the Memorial Run. To increase the range they fitted some additional fuel tanks:





ouich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
Zenith said:
mmm I wonder what the chances are of getting a bigger tank in next years "update" is...
That would mean rehomologation, crash tests, etc.... ain't gonna happen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
Jim Dolan said:
My meter says 15.5mpg after thousands of miles. I drive about 50/50 city/highway. I don't drive slow. I would hope the E60 would be about the same.
I'm assuming that you just look at average mpg over an extended period of mixed driving. I really don't pay much attention to this number, feeling that one has little control over that. I do like to reset the mpg on the computer at the start of a trip and look at average gasoline consumption, not that I'll drive like a wimp in order to improve mileage by one or two mpg, but just because highway cruising is a fairly controllable and reproducible circumstance. However, I do think that efficient cruising can sometimes be a desirable goal given the small gas tank. In fact, I wish the M5 had a meter to register instantaneous gasoline consumption.

Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,723 Posts
rsteele said:
I'm assuming that you just look at average mpg over an extended period of mixed driving. I really don't pay much attention to this number, feeling that one has little control over that. I do like to reset the mpg on the computer at the start of a trip and look at average gasoline consumption, not that I'll drive like a wimp in order to improve mileage by one or two mpg, but just because highway cruising is a fairly controllable and reproducible circumstance. However, I do think that efficient cruising can sometimes be a desirable goal given the small gas tank. In fact, I wish the M5 had a meter to register instantaneous gasoline consumption.

Richard
They used to have instantaneous readings in the form of a anolog dial but most didn't think much of it.

The meaningful in not useful advantage of Av MPG is that you can easily compute what you will spend for gas. Miles/15.5 equals gallons X the cost per gallon or future cost equal total dollars. Just another decision model.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
866 Posts
rsteele said:
Not sure that I follow you on that one. Highway mileage at crusing speed should be substantially better than in the city. I can eek out almost 22 mpg in my E39 on the highway. I suspect I'll be able to get at least 19 mpg, maybe even 20 mpg, cruising in p400 mode on the highway at US speeds in the E60. On the other hand, 10-12 mpg for the E60 in the city wouldn't surprise me.

Mileage will vary with driving style. If you play, you'll pay.

Richard
From experience over the last week, I can assure you that you will not get close to 10-12 mpg in the city, unless it's deserted and all the lights are green! In London traffic (which is riduiculous!) I get about 6mpg. Out of town I get between 10 and 12. On the motorway I can squeeze it up to maybe 17/18 with a light foot, but averaging 90-95 mph will take that down to 16. It is simply not an economical car, but it is still awesome!!! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
Filthy Monkey said:
From experience over the last week, I can assure you that you will not get close to 10-12 mpg in the city, unless it's deserted and all the lights are green! In London traffic (which is riduiculous!) I get about 6mpg. Out of town I get between 10 and 12. On the motorway I can squeeze it up to maybe 17/18 with a light foot, but averaging 90-95 mph will take that down to 16. It is simply not an economical car, but it is still awesome!!! :cool:
I can only hope that London traffic rarely allows you to get out of the first two gears or that you are far more sporting than I. My location in Atlanta allows me the use of all six of my E39 M5's gears within the city. I get 14 mph in the city and routinely 20+ mph on the highway at speeds in the 80-90 mph range. My estimates for the E60 M5 are for what it SHOULD GET in my driving environment, assuming BMW engineered the car well. After all, the E60 seems fairly comparable in performance to the E39, if left in p400 mode, or if the higher rpm range is not employed. If I were to drive both M5's with enthusiasm, I can see paying as much as a 30% price in fuel cost in the E60, but no more. Beyond that BMW should be embarrassed. It will be interesting to see how the E60 fares in this respect in US magazine test reports compared to tests of potential competitors and to past tests of the E39 M5, or how the EPA rates the E60 M5. The two automotive choices with the greatest appeal to me are to 1) Buy the E60 M5 or 2) Keep my E39 M5 until something else with greater appeal comes along. It wouldn't take much to divert me to my second choice. For instance, the next M3 would be an interesting consideration.

Richard
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top