BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short I saw a E60 M5 for sale for crazy cheap and bought it sight unseen like an idiot 馃槀. The car had been sitting for like a year so the battery was way dead so I got that charged up and the car started right up. First thing I noticed was a really loud ticking noise coming from the engine so I shut if off right away and did some research and figured it could just be the vanos so I let the car warm up and the ticking did not go away. While it was warming up I got 4 engine codes for the camshaft position being retarded in bay 1 and 2. The ticking noice may have gotten a little quieter but definitely is still very loud. Is it possible that the two problems are related?

Registered

Registered
I hope it was really cheap, as it probably needs new engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Haha yeah it was really cheap with a new engine it would be at about how much I would have paid for one. I am going to drain the oil and see if there is anything in it in a minute.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I just drained the oil and put a thin screen over the oil pan and the screen which didn't have anything on it after I drained it. If it was a rod bearing I should be able to tell by draining the oil right?

Registered
Yes, unless oil was changed prior to you buying the car. Although rod bearing failure is way more common it's also possible that you struck gold and only the internal vanos line ruptured. Post a video to see how it sounds while idling and when you rev the engine too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
The oil looked fairly old so it must have been in there for at least a while. I will try to have a video in a bit

Registered
Take out the oil filter and cut it apart to see if it has metal shavings in it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry forgot to post the video.

I will check the oil filter first because that is just a bit easier that actually checking the bearings 馃槀

Registered
I have no idea what that sound is but I would not be starting let alone revving that engine. I can't wait to hear what the diagnosis for that is. That is the scariest thing I ever heard in October.

Registered
That鈥檚 s85 is knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door.

Registered
Sorry forgot to post the video.

I will check the oil filter first because that is just a bit easier that actually checking the bearings 馃槀
I think you should check the bearings ASAP. If that's con rod knock, I don't think there is any way the crankshaft isn't damaged. My guess would be knock, but could (very small chance) be Vanos. Check this video out and read the description, see what you think.

Registered
So just changing the bearings wont do it??? The whole engine is shot?
It needs a rebuild for sure. At the very least that's an engine pull to send the crank for repair and a new con rod. Upon internal inspection the list will quickly grow.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Haha sounds way better than mine 馃槀 I will check how bad the bearings are this weekend.

Registered
I think you should check the bearings ASAP. If that's con rod knock, I don't think there is any way the crankshaft isn't damaged. My guess would be knock, but could (very small chance) be Vanos. Check this video out and read the description, see what you think.
The second video is vanos ticking, rather than rod knock - it's ticking twice per revolution. Blubber's is definitely rod knock.

Registered
That is likely why it was "crazy cheap" - good luck.
Hopefully "crazy cheap" means you can fix or replace the engine and then have some fun - these are demons.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts