BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

E60 M5 Walbro Fuel pump DIY replacement

DIY: 
30K views 68 replies 15 participants last post by  o2sys 
#1 ·
Gentlemen, for those of you that would like to change your worn out, bad stock bosch pumps, upgrade to the Walbro 255 for more fueling if needed. There is a DIY on how to remove the fuel pump and filter. Here is how to replace your pumps.

https://youtu.be/6_Vupp1xOnY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#3 ·
Hi

Pls. share with us the result after fuel pump upgrade.

Did you test the fuel pressure after that?

:byee55amg

#5 ·
Thank you for your reply and we are waiting results. and you can check by road test.

#6 ·
if can touch red line in 4th gear without reduced power message it is will be fine.

#7 ·
Any update bro?!

#22 ·
How did you remove the spring loaded rod and also that white cover from the top of that housing in the picture? Are you planning to reuse the black fuel hoses? I saw a guy on youtube reusing those hoses by heating them up and pulling them while in the car - I wasn't about to do what he did what all that gasoline. I took mine out of the car since I am replacing the filter at the same time.

#16 ·
I was told by another board member who had a AFD E85 system that these AEM E85 fuel pumps work. Im in the process of installing them but ran into a dumb issue. Lets just say that I strongly advise using the proper tool to take off the fuel filter and pump.
Auto part Small appliance Kitchen appliance Machine

Reactions: ticat928
#18 ·
Request: Does someone has pictures of cracked open EKP fuel pump controller , or maybe have one on hand and possible to shoot one of the board, I am curious to see what are the ICs used. I think I have seen somewhere back in the time, but searched whole forum and google and couldn`t find anything this time.
Thanks in advance

#29 ·
You guys might not want to buy these Walbro fuel pumps on ebay or amazon for half the price of the real ones on their site

why? Well because the fake ones look pretty much identical To the real ones Except the pressure output isnt always the same, and im sure they wont last long. One of the ways to tell is by weight...

oh yea, and these fake ones are $10-20 on Aliexpress...

#31 ·
Got the new o-rings and seal collar in the mail today. Finished the install and its awake again!! Revved the heck out of it past 8k and no issues. Pumps are pretty quiet. One thing to watch out is when doing the zip tie to cap the housing make sure they dont stick out because it will be a pain in the butt install.. boy do they make this so tight! Only had 9 miles left in the tank. Filled it up with some good ol 93 octane..

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mid-size car

Reactions: ticat928
#37 ·
now that the twin walbro pumps are installed and working perfectly, can I run e20 in the car now or for that even do I need the ethanol kit?

if for e20 also ethanol kit is required which one do you guys recommend and any adverse effects of using ethanol.

We do not get more than 88 octane here ?

#41 ·
OK so just to update everyone. I got a mini heart attack today when i dropped off my car to get the rear bumper painted the car popped a reduced engine power error but no vibration of any sort on the way to the workshop. So i checked with the scanner at the workshop and it showed error 2788 and 2787. They removed the errors and all was good.

A little while later i get a call from the workshop saying that there were misfires on almost all the cylinders and the car was running rough.

When we were troubleshooting the fuel pressure was showing at 1.95 bar at idle which lead us to check the fuel pump. Opened the fuel pump to find one of the pipe had snapped off the clip. Put it back on and issues gone. Wanted to let my friends here with Walbros upgraded know that it is an issue to check if someone faces low fuel pressure.

I am just thinking that the clip was put on tight and snug and it has been done again. I am afraid that could it be coming off due to the extra pressure that the walbros are producing.

What are your thoughts.

#42 ·
OK so just to update everyone. I got a mini heart attack today when i dropped off my car to get the rear bumper painted the car popped a reduced engine power error but no vibration of any sort on the way to the workshop. So i checked with the scanner at the workshop and it showed error 2788 and 2787. They removed the errors and all was good.

A little while later i get a call from the workshop saying that there were misfires on almost all the cylinders and the car was running rough.

When we were troubleshooting the fuel pressure was showing at 1.95 bar at idle which lead us to check the fuel pump. Opened the fuel pump to find one of the pipe had snapped off the clip. Put it back on and issues gone. Wanted to let my friends here with Walbros upgraded know that it is an issue to check if someone faces low fuel pressure.

I am just thinking that the clip was put on tight and snug and it has been done again. I am afraid that could it be coming off due to the extra pressure that the walbros are producing.

What are your thoughts.
Which hoses you talking about? I used clamps that came with my AEM pumps..

Product Auto part Automotive fuel system

Reactions: sjsuM5
#44 ·
When you do the fuel pump you should do the filter at the same time. You're already there and it's coming off anyway. I did it in reverse, I replaced the filter and upgraded the pumps at the same time. I was very suprised mine had original fuel filter at 92k.. 32k miles overdue! Dirty fuel filters are known to cause injector issues which can mess up your motor. For less than 300 bucks for the oem filter, you avoid a potential catastrophic motor damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.