BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Troy mentioned to do the tank vent valves as well

you do not want the possibility of having pumps working against a vacuum at full load and rpm
I will look into that since I want to pull up the intake plenums anyway.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have decided to go that way. Currently in progress , but I am pretty busy lately so it will take some time. Will report back or open new thread on this.
View attachment 934820
How did you remove the spring loaded rod and also that white cover from the top of that housing in the picture? Are you planning to reuse the black fuel hoses? I saw a guy on youtube reusing those hoses by heating them up and pulling them while in the car - I wasn't about to do what he did what all that gasoline. I took mine out of the car since I am replacing the filter at the same time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How did you remove the spring loaded rod
By gently taping on the free side of the rods end with screwdriver and small hammer
also that white cover from the top of that housing in the picture
you stick a flat screwdriver in between and twist bit by bit, there are 4 points which seems to be glued/melted to each other -top and basket
Are you planning to reuse the black fuel hoses? I saw a guy on youtube reusing those hoses by heating them up and pulling them while in the car - I wasn't about to do what he did what all that gasoline. I took mine out of the car since I am replacing the filter at the same time.
WOW yep that was extreme there, I was also "what da...." :D :D anyway, I used just a hairdryer because I didn`t have hot air gun at that moment, and I managed to remove them from the old pumps with the help of flat screwdriver. I plan either to use the same black hoses , just cut a bit of them like in the utube video, or buy new ones. Problem is - it is hard to find them where I live. One is ID 8mm , L= 100mm , second one ID 8mm L= 200mm.You can check here since I believe you are based in US - Auto Performance Engineering - Walbro fuel pumps and more , they have very close lengths to what we need, or just use the old ones.

·
Registered
471 Posts
By gently taping on the free side of the rods end with screwdriver and small hammer

you stick a flat screwdriver in between and twist bit by bit, there are 4 points which seems to be glued/melted to each other -top and basket

WOW yep that was extreme there, I was also "what da...." :D :D anyway, I used just a hairdryer because I didn`t have hot air gun at that moment, and I managed to remove them from the old pumps with the help of flat screwdriver. I plan either to use the same black hoses , just cut a bit of them like in the utube video, or buy new ones. Problem is - it is hard to find them where I live. One is ID 8mm , L= 100mm , second one ID 8mm L= 200mm.You can check here since I believe you are based in US - Auto Performance Engineering - Walbro fuel pumps and more , they have very close lengths to what we need, or just use the old ones.
So how do you plan to seal the top hat of the assy? The video from the OP did it by punching holes and wrapping it with zip ties.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So how do you plan to seal the top hat of the assy? The video from the OP did it by punching holes and wrapping it with zip ties.
I am not big fan of zip ties, but also saw other diy videos, for example of n54 platform , they also use zip ties there to secure the top parts to the basket. I am thinking of other solutions with angle brackets ,but if it gets too hard to fabricate, I guess will just take the easy way

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am not big fan of zip ties, but also saw other diy videos, for example of n54 platform , they also use zip ties there to secure the top parts to the basket. I am thinking of other solutions with angle brackets ,but if it gets too hard to fabricate, I guess will just take the easy way
Well, I did mine. Even managed to crack the housing but it wont matter. This was probably the most pain in my butt to build and modify, with the wife calling me out for dinner the whole time. I freakin hate it. I was cussing the whole freakin time but I got it done. The wire harness just plugs in. Just waiting for big o-rings. And the damn hose keeps spilling fuel out.. thought I drained the crap out of it by then. Im inside my work room cuz its cold in the garage and I wanted a table to work on. Dont know how I got it done but I did. Hopefully it works. I strongly suggest to make sure that it is totally empty of fuel before working on it. Or just get a new one and drop the bigger pumps in there. I reused the hoses and freaked out because fuel spilled while I was heating them up to remove them.

I noticed the AEM is a little longer and thicker.
20200128_181154.jpg

I had to modify the holder inside the housing to make them fit.

20200128_181209.jpg

I actually strapped the pumps closer to each other with a ziptie (not in the pic)

20200128_182250.jpg

Then stuffed them in the housing.

20200128_182231.jpg

Installed the hoses and then capped it using zipties.

20200128_203018.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I did mine. Even managed to crack the housing but it wont matter. This was probably the most pain in my butt to build and modify, with the wife calling me out for dinner the whole time. I freakin hate it. I was cussing the whole freakin time but I got it done. The wire harness just plugs in. Just waiting for big o-rings. And the damn hose keeps spilling fuel out.. thought I drained the crap out of it by then. Im inside my work room cuz its cold in the garage and I wanted a table to work on. Dont know how I got it done but I did. Hopefully it works. I strongly suggest to make sure that it is totally empty of fuel before working on it. Or just get a new one and drop the bigger pumps in there. I reused the hoses and freaked out because fuel spilled while I was heating them up to remove them.

I noticed the AEM is a little longer and thicker. View attachment 934920

I had to modify the holder inside the housing to make them fit.

View attachment 934922

I actually strapped the pumps closer to each other with a ziptie (not in the pic)

View attachment 934923

Then stuffed them in the housing.

View attachment 934925

Installed the hoses and then capped it using zipties.

View attachment 934927
Here is my progress until now.. I am using walbro 255lph pumps.

Let's all share our results once installed. I hope it gets the dreaded low fuel pressure error resolved..

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
You guys might not want to buy these Walbro fuel pumps on ebay or amazon for half the price of the real ones on their site

why? Well because the fake ones look pretty much identical To the real ones Except the pressure output isnt always the same, and im sure they wont last long. One of the ways to tell is by weight...

oh yea, and these fake ones are $10-20 on Aliexpress...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Here is my progress until now.. I am using walbro 255lph pumps.

Let's all share our results once installed. I hope it gets the dreaded low fuel pressure error resolved..
Im gonna install mine tomorrow after work. My o-rings are taking too long so Im picking some up at a nearby stealership..didnt know they had them. Hopefully I put it together right cuz that gasoline smell made disoriented a bit.. lol. Im gonna finish up on a few other mods and then I will get the AFD system for some E85 action.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Got the new o-rings and seal collar in the mail today. Finished the install and its awake again!! Revved the heck out of it past 8k and no issues. Pumps are pretty quiet. One thing to watch out is when doing the zip tie to cap the housing make sure they dont stick out because it will be a pain in the butt install.. boy do they make this so tight! Only had 9 miles left in the tank. Filled it up with some good ol 93 octane..

20200130_180512.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
Driving with 91 or 93 octane — do you or anyone else notice any differences in overall responsiveness, performance, or anything like that with the Walbro pumps compared to the OEM ones?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Driving with 91 or 93 octane — do you or anyone else notice any differences in overall responsiveness, performance, or anything like that with the Walbro pumps compared to the OEM ones?
Nope.. Im running 93 because I chose to have my FAMS tune for it. No butt dyno difference with the AEM pumps either even with the new filter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok quick update. Got the twin walbro pumps installed and went for a drive and 2-3 4th gear runs to the redline and no check engine. Cars getting new brake pads. Will do proper runs on Saturday and report back.

Attaching a picture to show how I closed the assembly. Did not use zip ties.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nope.. Im running 93 because I chose to have my FAMS tune for it. No butt dyno difference with the AEM pumps either even with the new filter.
Thinking to get the FAMS tune after i gut my cats. Do you think its worth it? How does the car run after you got it? I’ve never done a tune of any kind before. I’ve had everything stock up until now...

at the very moment, im trying to figure out ways of improving MPG... as its been hovering around 6-9 mpg. Gonna start by replacing o2 sensors, cleaning intake valves, replace oil with redline 5w-50, and viper thermostat. I’ll maybe make some DiY intake scoops...hopefully that helps a tad. Anything else i should look at?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thinking to get the FAMS tune after i gut my cats. Do you think its worth it? How does the car run after you got it? I’ve never done a tune of any kind before. I’ve had everything stock up until now...

at the very moment, im trying to figure out ways of improving MPG... as its been hovering around 6-9 mpg. Gonna start by replacing o2 sensors, cleaning intake valves, replace oil with redline 5w-50, and viper thermostat. I’ll maybe make some DiY intake scoops...hopefully that helps a tad. Anything else i should look at?
The RMS decatted headers and FAMS tune definitely transformed the car. The MPG on this car is definitely the last item of my concerns.. mine does 6-9 mpg as well cuz I hammer the M5 whenever possible. My car runs great before I replaced the fuel pump. NO SMG worries here.. its a 2008 E60 M5 LCI 6 speed manual! Only reason I did the fuel pump upgrade is in preparation for the AFD flex fuel for E85. Anything else to look at? I would probably focus on maintenance items rather than air filters and scoops as they will never yield the results you are expecting. I spent a little over 5k on rod bearings and monoball thrust bushings, etc., etc.. Little things you can do are the fuel filter and spark plugs if you haven't done so. You can find the whole list of maintenance items here on the board and tons of other info. Good luck (y)..

·
Registered
28 Posts
now that the twin walbro pumps are installed and working perfectly, can I run e20 in the car now or for that even do I need the ethanol kit?

if for e20 also ethanol kit is required which one do you guys recommend and any adverse effects of using ethanol.

We do not get more than 88 octane here 😣

·
Registered
471 Posts
now that the twin walbro pumps are installed and working perfectly, can I run e20 in the car now or for that even do I need the ethanol kit?

if for e20 also ethanol kit is required which one do you guys recommend and any adverse effects of using ethanol.

We do not get more than 88 octane here 😣
You can run full E85 or E85 mix with gas. They have posts about them online and here on the board.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Without flex fuel kit?

I think e10 or e20 might be possible only without flex fuel
From what I have been reading in this forum you can run a full blown E85 tune from Gintani or maybe use the AFD flex fuel kit for full E85. I wouldn't try running it without a tune or a controller of some sort. I dont have the time to blow up my motor right now.. 🤣.. I will be running that AFD kit as soon as the dust settles after my suspension tuning.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts