BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sense of humor required :haha:

Best average of 3 back to back pulls wins. :M5rev:

The contenders:

In one corner we have a stock E60 M5, with a rated horsepower of 507 at the crank (413 whp), certified by BMW's ///M division.

In the other corner we have a heavily modded E46 M3 with a VF Engineering Stage 2 Supercharger kit, CSL headers, CSL cats and Agency Power Exhaust, with a rated horsepower of 570 at the crank (470 whp), certified by VF Engineering.

Please revisit the thread often, as uploading the terabytes of data we have collected takes time to upload to, and have certified as accurate by youtube.

Enjoy.

p.s. to those following Darren's latest project, his beast put down 450 whp on a Dyno Dynamics at Classic BMW, the highest whp recorded on their dyno to date. :thumbsup:

Part 1 -
Part 2 -
Part 3 -
Part 4 -

The first dyno pull for the M5 is done in 6th gear, we know we will find the oem top speed limiter before we find peak rpm and peak whp. Notice what the rear wheel does as the car cuts the power. There are several aftermarket options for having the top speed limiter removed. Darren's M5 for example has an ecu flash by Active Autowerke, which deletes the TSL. First pull at approx 7k rpm shows 432.2 whp.
Part 5 -

Pull two for the M5 (5th gear) = 425.9 whp
Part 6 -

Pull three for the M5 (5th gear) = 424.9 whp
Part 7 -

Pull one for the VF SC'd M3 = 453.05
Part 8 -

Pull two for the VF SC'd M3 = Scott displaying his ignorance about heat soak
Part 9 -

Commentary on Run 2, sorry darren has left the building
Part 10 -

Part 11 -
3rd pull for the M3 = 425.2

This concludes the video portion of M5 vs SC'd M3 dyno challenge. Copies of comparative Dyno plots will be posted later as a Reply in the thread.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
updated

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Thanks for posting the videos. Looking forward to seeing the rest once they are uploaded.

[Techie Note - Even if you are uploading terabytes of video, YouTube is going to compress the videos to be tens of MBs and the video's sit in a queue waiting to be compressed which also contributes to the delay from upload to going live. If you have software that will allow you to reduce the video file size before uploading it could save you some time and compress them prior to uploading]

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Hey scoopz, where are you in the UK? I'm in Frimley for the next two weeks, just landed this morning. Any M5 meets coming up?

Cheers,

Darren

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Can't watch the videos at work...Hey Darren. Can you tell
us what this custom exhaust is all about?
Absolutely...nothing radically custom. I just had a good portion of the section 2 exhaust removed and new piping built with new high-flow race cats and O2 sensors. The install is beautiful and I picked up 25rwhp on the dyno dynamics dynometer at my dealer.

I can't wait to get back and drive it!

Regards,

Darren

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
By the way, please watch these videos with a good sense of humor. I was just playing along and having fun with my commentary ;) Everything I said was in jest helping Scott make light of a tough situation for him.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Absolutely...nothing radically custom. I just had a good portion of the section 2 exhaust removed and new piping built with new high-flow race cats and O2 sensors. The install is beautiful and I picked up 25rwhp on the dyno dynamics dynometer at my dealer.

I can't wait to get back and drive it!

Regards,

Darren
That's cool. What cats are you running now? Do you have any
pics of your new section 2?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Darren, I'll be happy to swing by Classic and run your beast over to the Dynojet for a couple of pulls. :thumbsup: I'm planning to put my M3 back on today with race fuel. We can do this comparo if you're not afraid to lose to an M3.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how long ago were these runs? Darren your car looks different
Jeff, the dynos were done on Wednesday. The M5 is mine, not Darren's.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Is the 413 rwhp that you reported the SAE corrected number? Because all the other numbers that are shown are higher. I assume those are uncorrected. Correct?

On a side not, I thought the E46 M3 was more than 400 lbs lighter than the E60 M5. Even a fully loaded M3 apporaches but is less than 3500 lbs, max, give or take a few.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is the 413 rwhp that you reported the SAE corrected number? Because all the other numbers that are shown are higher. I assume those are uncorrected. Correct?

On a side not, I thought the E46 M3 was more than 400 lbs lighter than the E60 M5. Even a fully loaded M3 apporaches but is less than 3500 lbs, max, give or take a few.
The numbers for all of the dyno's are indeed SAE. Is my stock M5 making 430+ whp? I doubt it. Dyno's can vary from one brand to another and I've been told Dynojet is not on the conservative side. Also it's not unusual for someone to get two different numbers from two of the same brand of dyno, at different locations and under different conditions. I dyno'd my M5 (same car) last summer at another Dynojet and the SAE corrected number was 407 whp. I will have to check the weights of the cars, I think 400 is close.

·
Registered
335 Posts
lol, I guess there's some humor in there. :D If we ever meet up Scott, remind me not to piss Darren off too much, that dude is yoked!!! lmao.

I'm purely saying this based on observations and questions, not accusing anyone of anything or being a smart ***. :)

1. How were you able to dyno in 6th gear on the DD's and not the DJ?
2. You made about the same popwer on the DD's?
3. Your M3 made more peak power, anyway you can overlay the plots so we can compare P-bands.
4. Did Darren dyno his car there yet? Love to see what his mods did for him on a DJ.
5. Wouldn't 5th gear pulls on the dyno be sufficient, as you're well over 140 in that gear?

A few of us in socal are going to do a dyno day, hopefully a group of different cars, and we'll be sure to post it all up, if there's M5's or M6's there we'll post up here as well.

Good info guys.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
lol, I guess there's some humor in there. :D If we ever meet up Scott, remind me not to piss Darren off too much, that dude is yoked!!! lmao.

I'm purely saying this based on observations and questions, not accusing anyone of anything or being a smart ***. :)

1. How were you able to dyno in 6th gear on the DD's and not the DJ?

The Dyno Dynamics does not require that the pull be done at 1:1 gear ratio, as the Dynojet does. In fact the max speed of the rollers is 150 mph. Keep in mind I'm not an expert on this stuff (as I have eloquently illustrated, but I can learn) I've been told that gear selection on the DD is irrelevant. I believe all of the pulls at Classic were done in 3rd gear on all of the cars.

2. You made about the same popwer on the DD's?

Yes, the Dynojet was very close. I blame operator error/inconsistency on the DD. The placement of the air temp sensor is very critical (as discussed on the M3 Forum) Quinntin's car did 411 on the DD and mine did 428. I think Quinntin's number is more accurate. Darren's car did 434 on the same day mine did 428, and road comparisons suggest Darren has a much higher advantage than 6 whp over my stock car. Being able to analyze the intake temp data at 50 rpm increments, along with all of the other data, plus dynoing 12 cars in one day and comparing every variable for each car and each run allows for inconsistency's, such as with my high 428 number, to be disqualified pretty easily.

3. Your M3 made more peak power, anyway you can overlay the plots so we can compare P-bands.

Drew, PM me an email address and I will send you my Dynojet files. Oh never mind, I have it. lol. You got mail.

4. Did Darren dyno his car there yet? Love to see what his mods did for him on a DJ.

He did 450 on the DD, he has not dyno'd yet on the Dynojet but I'm sure he will when he gets back in town.

5. Wouldn't 5th gear pulls on the dyno be sufficient, as you're well over 140 in that gear?

Again I don't know as much, just what they tell me.. If you look at the plots for my M5 pulls the second two pulls clearly lag the first, but not by much.

A few of us in socal are going to do a dyno day, hopefully a group of different cars, and we'll be sure to post it all up, if there's M5's or M6's there we'll post up here as well.

Ok, you should give some notice and post here when and where and you will probably get a few to join you.

Good info guys.
Thanks, Drew.

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bump.. Final dyno vid has been posted. Comparative Dyno charts will follow as a reply.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Scott, impressive numbers from your SC M3, heat soak or not, plus lighter weight should beat a stock M5 even if its a strong one like mine!! (416 whp SAE) Will definitely have to get some runs in soon. W

1 - 20 of 23 Posts