BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok..I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a M5..however, I cannot get the 996 porsche turbo out of my mind...I'm still fairly young, single bachelor type, professional...what do you guys think??

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
At the end of the day it's a decision only you can make. Like you, I'm "the young batchelor type" and opted for the M5 for its practical reasons and have had some great track days from it too. I have found I've needed to transport items that have required me to fold the back seats of the M5 down about 10 times already this year, didn't think I'd ever need to but I have.

Much as I love the 996 Porsche I couldn't bring myself to buy a model that has already been superseeded. My heart would skip a beat everytime I saw a new 997 Turbo pull up next to me, whereas the M5 is still fresh-faced, even the standard new shape 5-series isn't on the roads yet.

If you can live with the lack of rear doors and boot space, and would like a 2 door coupe why not look at the new M3 (wait until DCT gearbox though!) or an M6?

I love my M5, it's my only car, the daily driver, motorway cruiser and track car. Ideally I'd love to have sechsgang's setup with the M5 for daily use and 996 TT for track only....maybe one day!

Just my 2cents....

·
Registered
285 Posts
well, Im selling my class leading 996tt..haha...so someone here can have my setup as well!

·
Registered
994 Posts
At the end of the day it's a decision only you can make. Like you, I'm "the young batchelor type" and opted for the M5 for its practical reasons and have had some great track days from it too. I have found I've needed to transport items that have required me to fold the back seats of the M5 down about 10 times already this year, didn't think I'd ever need to but I have.

Much as I love the 996 Porsche I couldn't bring myself to buy a model that has already been superseeded. My heart would skip a beat everytime I saw a new 997 Turbo pull up next to me, whereas the M5 is still fresh-faced, even the standard new shape 5-series isn't on the roads yet.

If you can live with the lack of rear doors and boot space, and would like a 2 door coupe why not look at the new M3 (wait until DCT gearbox though!) or an M6?

I love my M5, it's my only car, the daily driver, motorway cruiser and track car. Ideally I'd love to have sechsgang's setup with the M5 for daily use and 996 TT for track only....maybe one day!

Just my 2cents....
Excellent summary and I'm in my late twenties too.:cheers:

I came from an 02 996TT to my M5 (Audi in between) and haven't regretted the decision for a minute. The only bad point is our terrible mileage but other than that this S85 engine is a masterpiece and the overall package without equal.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
996 doesnt havea backseat. Go figure :7:

ok..I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a M5..however, I cannot get the 996 porsche turbo out of my mind...I'm still fairly young, single bachelor type, professional...what do you guys think??

·
Registered
907 Posts
996 DOES have a back seat.......I can fit little kids in them.....but not much else......:)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hahaha.....no doubt....don't know WHAT they were thinking when they put that back there......

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm going to echo what the others have said. I'm fortunate enough to own both as well and my 996TT is not set up as pure track car. Both cars are stock. If you like technology and practicality get the M5. It's hard to compare the two cars as they're very different. With that said. I find myself driving the M5 mostly and then thinking I better drive the 911 since I haven't started it in awhile. I will soon be parting with the 911 as I can't justify having these two cars when I can only drive one at a time. Additionally, I miss the ventilated seats, bluetooth, multifunction seats, HUD, etc when I drive the 911. My only complaint with the M5(very common) is that the gas tank is just too small. The fuel consumption sucks but I knew that going in and don't have a problem with that but boy I wish there were an extra 6-8 gallons in the tank.

Bottom line is until you experience both you won't be sure. But you cannot go wrong with the M5.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm going to echo what the others have said. I'm fortunate enough to own both as well and my 996TT is not set up as pure track car. Both cars are stock. If you like technology and practicality get the M5. It's hard to compare the two cars as they're very different. With that said. I find myself driving the M5 mostly and then thinking I better drive the 911 since I haven't started it in awhile. I will soon be parting with the 911 as I can't justify having these two cars when I can only drive one at a time. Additionally, I miss the ventilated seats, bluetooth, multifunction seats, HUD, etc when I drive the 911. My only complaint with the M5(very common) is that the gas tank is just too small. The fuel consumption sucks but I knew that going in and don't have a problem with that but boy I wish there were an extra 6-8 gallons in the tank.

Bottom line is until you experience both you won't be sure. But you cannot go wrong with the M5.

agree

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just to take a contrary view, if you have never owned a 911 and you don't need the space of a 5-series, I would go for the 996TT.

The M5 is a special car, for sure, and I would take it in a heartbeat as my only car-- but I am pushing 40 and have two kids.

The HUD and ventilated seats can wait. Get the Turbo. You won't regret it.

-Chris

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 996 and backseat is just for show--My kids never go in-- thats part of the reason im choosing the m5--

Mike

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Well........

I've commented about this exact subject/question in other recent threads; so 'guess I'll participate here, too.

1) Basic questions: Do you like/want a high performance sports car, or a high performance sedan?? I own both and, trust me, there is a considerable difference between the two. Very important - Have you driven both (not just around the block)?? Really, that's the only way you can make a decision about which one is for you!!

2) I could wax eloquently about either type of car; and I often get asked which one I like best. I really can't answer the question, definatively; as I enjoy both for their unique driving characteristics. I have no need for a 4-door sedan; but I've always been partial to limited production, high performance versions, just on a subjective basis. On the other hand, there's no better/fun driving experience (even on long, multi-day road trips "hot foot'n" back country 2-laners for many hours, each day) than a high performance sports car; which I consider the purest of "drivers cars".

3) At this time in your life, where the "fun" factor is probably more important than compromising fun with practicality, you're obviously giving serious consideration to maximum "fun". Drive both, then decide.

4) 'Plenty of info here about "M"'s. But, if you haven't already done so, thoroughly peruse www.6speedonline.com (their forum dedicated to 996TT's/GT2's). 'Don't have to join or register; just use search feature and read through threads about peformance/durability/reliability/mod capability of 996 turbo's. 'Suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Have fun and good luck!!:)

Reactions: Gabe and keang24

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Two different animals. From your personal description I'd say get the 996 TT.

I have the M5 and both GT3 and GT3RS. Love them all but the M5 is just special to me. I love the power with all that comfort and room.
My M5 is very modded and I call it "luxury on steroids".

Get the 996 TT and you can mod it into a monster killer.

Good luck, M5Ranger

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Hey!!

I'm asking those questions myself, too. Don't need to drive, just a ride from you, Dan.:thumbsup:
No problem, Kenny. 'Be happy to demonstrate "The Predator":blink: to you anytime. I'll bring her to our next meet; or feel free to come by my place and we'll take her up on my favorite, nearby road (heh, heh).

Reactions: keang24

·
Registered
696 Posts
I agree with the guys recommending the 996TT....

I always dreamed about driving P and when my X5 was stolen i decided to give it a shot. I opted for the 9964S which was a fabulous experience.
I went from the 4S to the M5 less then 1 year later but I lived my dream.

If owning a P-car has been a dream of yours then go for it..... the M5 is a fantastic car. But a Porsche is a Porsche :)

Good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think DRMs post is incredibly true. I cannot answer the question of which I like best when asked. Apples and oranges. If I were still single, I'd probably get the 996TT. I'm only 35 but my wife whines about the suspension in the 996 and I tend to drive long distances.

Best advice is find a way to do some extended test drives.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts