BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Tell us more about this larger tank that you speak about... What is the part number?
For the e30? Nothing special, just a fuel cell.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oh I thought you meant for the e60. I was hoping that there might have been a higher capacity tank that BMW made for some other e60 model that has been proven to work in the M5. Sometimes there are parts like that for certain markets, like the H&K MP5 holder for the Polezi option.

·
Registered
440 Posts
-2.4 up front.

964 video:

Awesome.. what about the rear? Is it -2.5 still?? My rims might arrive 2 weeks early and car will be dropped off the shop immediately for install and suspension settings.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Awesome.. what about the rear? Is it -2.5 still?? My rims might arrive 2 weeks early and car will be dropped off the shop immediately for install and suspension settings.
-2.4F/-2.1R

Specs in the signature are off...can’t change them. Latest forum update messed up my Sig.

·
Registered
440 Posts
-2.4F/-2.1R

Specs in the signature are off...can’t change them. Latest forum update messed up my Sig.
Sweet.. thanks.. exactly how mines are gonna be set 😁.. btw, Im in the same time zone as you are. Wish I can meet up where you at but you know how family vacations go. Gonna be in Sta. Clarita the whole time though till the 2nd and fly out the 3rd..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
So I'm going to be in the bay area in the spring March/April. Rather than fly I thought I would take a road trip and get in an early season track day. Thunder hill and Sanoma are doable, I think Laguna Seca is too far out of the way. Has anyone been to these tracks recently that can give me some feedback? My apportionment is in Oakland so I could stay there and go to Sanoma for the day. Thunder hill is so far north that I may just spend the night in that area on the day I visit the track.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Well I performed a little homeboy workshop upgrade, gimme some more camber! After seeing people hack up there strut towers for the Dinan camber plates I thought I could do better. I started by pulling the stupid alignment pins and then I thought why stop there. I dropped the struts down and used a rotary file to open the hole even further. Eventually the nut hit the ribs on the strut tower but those can also be removed. My target is -2.5 so we will see if I made it?

I'm road tripping to Thunder hill March 7th with my brother in his Focus ST. We are going to rip through the Northern California mountains on the way down. I am registered with Hooked on Driving, they have Sunday on the schedule as well. They put on a great event, a bit of coaching, some time on the track and then some more coaching. It really helps you push your skills. Maybe I'll see another M5 their?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well I performed a little homeboy workshop upgrade, gimme some more camber! After seeing people hack up there strut towers for the Dinan camber plates I thought I could do better. I started by pulling the stupid alignment pins and then I thought why stop there. I dropped the struts down and used a rotary file to open the hole even further. Eventually the nut hit the ribs on the strut tower but those can also be removed. My target is -2.5 so we will see if I made it?
View attachment 935256
View attachment 935257
I'm road tripping to Thunder hill March 7th with my brother in his Focus ST. We are going to rip through the Northern California mountains on the way down. I am registered with Hooked on Driving, they have Sunday on the schedule as well. They put on a great event, a bit of coaching, some time on the track and then some more coaching. It really helps you push your skills. Maybe I'll see another M5 their?
Got my -2.5 front and -2.1 rear without hacking the shock mount.

20200207_192642.jpg

20200207_192653.jpg

Screenshot_20200207-173956_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
190 Posts
So I'm going to be in the bay area in the spring March/April. Rather than fly I thought I would take a road trip and get in an early season track day. Thunder hill and Sanoma are doable, I think Laguna Seca is too far out of the way. Has anyone been to these tracks recently that can give me some feedback? My apportionment is in Oakland so I could stay there and go to Sanoma for the day. Thunder hill is so far north that I may just spend the night in that area on the day I visit the track.
Thunderhill is my favorite of the three, it is in the middle of nowhere (Willows, CA) the hotel/motel choices are very limited. It is the only NorCal track that has not come under heavy attack by the wealthy new to the area neighbors and forced ridiculous noise ordinances. Great for high power high speed, lots of run off room in the grass and concrete barriers are not a big consideration. This is absolutely not the case for Sonoma or LS,where early or excessive throttle coming out of a few corners regularly eat up noobs with lots of RWD power. Thill has the East course and the West Course, and then one where it is combined. They are quite different, so when or if you can do combined, try to do so. East Course is the original and is long and flowing with lots of nice high speed sweepers. West is lower speed and quite abit more technical. There is a relatively new Walmart right off the highway exit which is a GODSEND compared to when it wasn't there.

Sound is the most important thing to be aware of if you go to Laguna Seca or Sonoma, but LS specifically. If you are running an aftermarket exhaust you will blow sound and get meat balled. Your only hope is to be off throttle but by doing so you are losing alot of time since that is the exit of a left sweeper going up hill. I and dozens others at every track day have been meat balled running stock systems on late model american V-8 cars. Many people go through the trouble of making a "Laguna pipes" which are elbows to direct the sound in field. Laguna is also very hard on the brakes. Quite a bit of elevation change the most of all three.

I've only done Sonoma on my Ducati, never at real speed in a car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I plan on coilovers at some point but like taking small steps and seeing what happens. I was putting bronze bushings in the calipers so other than pulling the sway bar end link it was pretty short work. I,m taking the low road on tires so I'm already leaving a lot on the table there. Trying to budget for track days over parts. On a good day you drop a couple of hundred on fuel as well.

The track will be the three mile version, they also have a two mile. They do have a db for noise but I believe it above 100 like Portland. LS is 98 or 95 and that was a concern, I still want to get on that track even if for just a few laps. I'm really looking forward to an early track day and a new track. If I leave in early April that will kill most of the early season. We got a air B&B in Yuba city about an hour away.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I plan on coilovers at some point but like taking small steps and seeing what happens. I was putting bronze bushings in the calipers so other than pulling the sway bar end link it was pretty short work. I,m taking the low road on tires so I'm already leaving a lot on the table there. Trying to budget for track days over parts. On a good day you drop a couple of hundred on fuel as well.

The track will be the three mile version, they also have a two mile. They do have a db for noise but I believe it above 100 like Portland. LS is 98 or 95 and that was a concern, I still want to get on that track even if for just a few laps. I'm really looking forward to an early track day and a new track. If I leave in early April that will kill most of the early season. We got a air B&B in Yuba city about an hour away.
I'll be up at Thill this 22nd for their 3 mile.You can see it's the only M5 on the list haha.

·
Registered
190 Posts
3 mile is the original East course. This is a great course for high RPM high HP cars, in my opinion the best on the west coast, the only better one would be the 5 mile combined. The weather should be perfect also. Another tip. There is a coin operated car wash right across from O'Reily's Auto parts. That comes in handy to hose off your wheels afterwards also if you take an unexpected detour.

Regarding Laguna, it is of course iconic and you have to do it. But I prefer Thill. You guys running exhausts will need elbows and that might not even cut it for the S85. The best I ever managed in my buddies C7 Grand Sport (no mods, stock exhaust, 7 speed manual, stock carbon brakes) was 1:39. This was second to last run on worn pilot sport cup 2s. I can't left foot brake well on manual cars and that car will blow 95 db sound at the station. You have to compromise on the exit and take an inside line and lift as you go by or be in too low of a gear. This is where I'd much prefer the SMG for setting faster times.

I tend to agree with what people say about the same driver in the same car will be faster with stock exhaust vs. modified because stock you can take the proper line which offsets any power gains with a modified exhaust. There are a few days in the year where you can run LS with 100+ db, but those are rare and sell out very quickly. The whole sound management thing is such a scam. I'm sure there are some old threads on this but what is the best E60 M5 times at LS and Thill?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I didn't have any gopros or anything set up for the last time I was on East. But my fastest on West was a 1:25.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I got bored with Gingerman after just a couple track days , had more challenging driving on KY back roads, thus never wasted money on track days since

fast forward 20 years , i looked at the track lay out for the 23 turn Grand Full course at
20200210_162426.jpg
the new corvette museum track and I thought have to drive it, 3 attempts to convince Chin to let me drive failed, they told me it is a highly technical track thus i need more experience.

I had the thrill of a life time driving a track for the first time in 20 years, after tires warm i let loose , in the past my strategy was to over cook the first lap in order to find the limits at each corner, what a ride , four wheel drifted in a few of the slower corners and briefly lost the back end on off camber turn 16. see above link why turn 16 is diabolical
I do this because an under tired car (even the 60 compound Corsas) quickly over heats, i slowly back off on subsequent laps in order to gain smoothness, probably better lap times as well thus when my tires suddenly went off on the 5th lap there were no surprises.

I was happy since on my 928s4 the R1 tires only lasted 2 laps 20 years earlier at Gingerman

pcoty-part2-big2-1542505107.png

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Well I took it to a shop that I work part time at to check the alignment. The rear camber was 2.1% so I left it, toe was in a bit so I got it pretty close to zero. Front toe on the left was way out but I brought it in to almost zero. So the homeboy camber mod got me 1.9 on the right and 1.6 on the left. I backed off on the right to match the left. I will have to do a little more work with the rotary file on both sides to get the -2 that I want.

Hey Fifty didn't your MCS set come out a little weird? Like one side was in a different place in the shock mount than the other?

Now I nee to get the Powerflex in the front strut arms before I head south.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Well I took it to a shop that I work part time at to check the alignment. The rear camber was 2.1% so I left it, toe was in a bit so I got it pretty close to zero. Front toe on the left was way out but I brought it in to almost zero. So the homeboy camber mod got me 1.9 on the right and 1.6 on the left. I backed off on the right to match the left. I will have to do a little more work with the rotary file on both sides to get the -2 that I want.

Hey Fifty didn't your MCS set come out a little weird? Like one side was in a different place in the shock mount than the other?

Now I nee to get the Powerflex in the front strut arms before I head south.
Yeah...it did come off weird but everything is spot on and corner balanced.
7CE6A31F-AAD5-42F7-A4B9-6574FF3EB698.jpeg
50EFB82E-B16D-4474-95CD-1808D179EA93.jpeg

Even checked again after my last track day...still spot on.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Went to a T&T with the BSCC, Auotcross practice for tomorrows event. It was all day and I got seven runs at about one minute each. You shag cones and then get to run the course. It's very challenging to read the cones and stay fast in a large car. I started at 69 seconds(a good number) and ended the day in the low 63's. The morning was cold and wet and the afternoon was cold.

If you are thinking about getting more out of your M5 this is a good start. It only last about a minute so it is pretty easy on the car. For the whole day I burned 1/4 tank including travel. I good track day will burn two full tanks of fuel just at the track.

I almost forgot, I used my phone with ear buds laying in the back seat. Way better than all that wind noise.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Found a couple old videos with CCA. No stopwatches allowed and not really pushing it. I was short shifting at 6500ish because there was no need to go all the way to 8000 with HPDE. Pardon the wind noise in the first video.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I hate that wind noise and love that V10 noise, I think mine sounds better;).
For future reference what track is that? It's nice to see the driver and what they are doing in relation to the track and car. You are looking ahead much better than I do, it is one of my weak points. The Autocross really helps with that because if you are not looking three or four cones ahead you will not have the car set up in time.
I have been working on over steer to build my confidence with the power. It's much better to practice at the slower speeds on an autocross course.
Check out Harry's lap timer, all you need is the petrol head version. The OBD/BT is about $30. I upgraded to the Grand Prix version to use a remote camera but getting the video linked is a PITA.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts