BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
1,743 Posts
Nice story. What was the goal of swapping front and rear tires? Car balance changed to oversteer (obviously) and you confirmed that the hard way.

Good to hear the DTC60s worked out for you too. Another recommendation I will make again is to try the E64 swaybars. You'd be surprised.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I guess the goal of swapping the wheels was just to see if it would work. An added bonus was that the front side walls were almost toast.They will be square in the future so that I can rotate and flip them to get the most out of the tires. The spin was due to oil on the track. If you listen close the spin starts quiet and then the tires start to make noise when they hit clean pavement.

I may try an track down some sway bars but I really think the big difference will come from coilovers.

·
Registered
215 Posts
What square set up are you eyeing?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
265/30. The 285 fits the 9.5" wheel on the front with a 15mm spacer almost;). 255 is supposed to be the limit on a 8.5" wheel. I have read people fitting 275 on a 8.5" wheel. It really comes down to what tire to do want to run and is it available in the size you want. The cup 2's are the last step before slicks but I think I'm going to try R888's. If I can get a little extra grip for braking and power that would be the next step. Then it will be coilovers, from what I have read in this thread that's pretty much full out without stripping the car and putting a cage in.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Are you planning on running 265/30 on stock wheels? I'm just a bit confused. Are you going to be running a dedicated track set?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
They are not stock wheels but they are stock size. 19x8.5& 19x9.5 The 265 will be a bit smaller in the rear and larger in the front. It should take out some of the understeer and help balance the car. I only really track the car so I guess the Beyern's are my track wheels

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Thought I’d post here..

Saw this advert for “arrive and drive” in my IG feed. Screenshot of video — more of a peeve on how he’s about to hold the wheel.

C1D65E99-FFB0-4BEA-AA0E-C53C4885F35D.png

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
The fundamentals are so important. In this age of being able to buy a fast car with computers to manage most of the control there is a lot left on the table in the drivers seat.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Made it out to Pacific raceway today. It was cold and damp but mostly cold. Ran at P500 without TC and had no problems, with the car that is.
OOppps!
The tires just would not heat up. You would be driving around just fine and then you would get a little off your line or hit a patch of uneven tarmac and the car would be all over the place.I went off three times but no damage. The last time was coming onto the front straight on my way too 100mph. I apexed late and went wide on the exit. The pavement is broken and uneven and when the car started jumping around it just let go. I was headed straight for the wall but counter steered and got the car to come around. Then it was headed for the other wall and I counter steered again. I ended up spinning off into some gravel with no harm to the car. My wife was in the grandstands watching the whole event unfold. I wish I had my camera running! There was a Porsche GT3 that was faster but I was passing everyone else. The car is a beast and so much fun to drive full out.

Down in the lower section out of turn three it goes uphill with a bump and then downhill with a bump. If I wasn't careful with the throttle the car would get pretty squirrely. I tried to work on looking ahead most of the day. They had novices out there to slow things down and give me a chance to work on my lines and sighting. I get a new hip on Monday and then when I get back on my feet I will be at a CCC with the Porsche club on Jan 26th. I may try and get down to Thunder hill in the spring?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Made it out to Pacific raceway today. It was cold and damp but mostly cold. Ran at P500 without TC and had no problems, with the car that is.
OOppps!
The tires just would not heat up. You would be driving around just fine and then you would get a little off your line or hit a patch of uneven tarmac and the car would be all over the place.I went off three times but no damage. The last time was coming onto the front straight on my way too 100mph. I apexed late and went wide on the exit. The pavement is broken and uneven and when the car started jumping around it just let go. I was headed straight for the wall but counter steered and got the car to come around. Then it was headed for the other wall and I counter steered again. I ended up spinning off into some gravel with no harm to the car. My wife was in the grandstands watching the whole event unfold. I wish I had my camera running! There was a Porsche GT3 that was faster but I was passing everyone else. The car is a beast and so much fun to drive full out.

Down in the lower section out of turn three it goes uphill with a bump and then downhill with a bump. If I wasn't careful with the throttle the car would get pretty squirrely. I tried to work on looking ahead most of the day. They had novices out there to slow things down and give me a chance to work on my lines and sighting. I get a new hip on Monday and then when I get back on my feet I will be at a CCC with the Porsche club on Jan 26th. I may try and get down to Thunder hill in the spring?
Is it me, or was the front end plowing to the outside at around 28 sec?

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Ran the e30 this morning. About to run the e60 this afternoon.
37F0851B-F3C6-47D7-8118-95BCB5891E2D.jpeg
69721942-78D5-424C-9AA6-0C852EAFA0B5.jpeg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Is it me, or was the front end plowing to the outside at around 28 sec?
It looks normal to me and didn't really feel any problem, maybe it was the camera angle? I know on that event I was trying to unload the wheel and push out to the exit cone. The surface changes there because of new tarmac. After an inspection off track I went back out and with a different line up and was able to get the car to push out to the exit cone. Of course it was my mistake trying to change my line after I was committed. That is the great thing about damp/wet days, you will pay for little mistakes. On a dry day at higher speeds the results could have been much worse.

On a tire note, I put Michelin pilot super sports on the front. I would say the grip is about the same as the Conti's but the sidewall is more square. I think this will keep the edge from rolling over. I'll need a good dry day to get them hot and really see if there is a difference. I do know this, 255/35 is too small with 285/35 on the back, the CC will not work.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Waiting for the report on the E30, looks like a fun ride!
E30 was great. Still have to trouble shoot a fuel issue — random power loss at 5000ish rpm. Switched relays and swapped back to stock ECUs, still experiencing the random power loss. Could be fuel starvation, but we ran the tank dry earlier in the day, without starvation. Going to install a larger tank (two hour capacity) before the first 6 hour enduro race.

Had a bolt on the brake caliper back out, when I came into the pits — could’ve been ugly on track.
6B9DBEF3-366B-4C22-ADBB-CF90338AD478.jpeg
2D4C9643-6B46-45C0-AA0C-F8762D711E84.jpeg
E3CEEF74-3114-4AD0-9ABD-BBA9A401A360.jpeg

E60 was a monster with the MCS. Ate a Beetle running in the open group. I’ll post the video later. Imma Shark! Imma Shark! Outta my way Beetle!

7879B72A-3931-4E28-AFD4-A6CE3B8AA3DC.jpeg
DDBE5921-3F8B-43E2-BEB5-A974A8CADEC4.jpeg
B91CB730-92EE-4E9A-A217-DA84C9ADA325.jpeg
E74F6198-7F44-43BF-AC0D-C3F9D8424E36.jpeg
7DBE48BB-C2E3-4D42-A595-79BDF3B3899A.jpeg

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Oh...tire check...the right front takes a TON of abuse at Chuckwalla.

The irony, I never checked/forgot to check the pressures before heading out. Running the e60 wasn’t planned, but she was sitting lonely at the track. I’m usually at 35#. We ran the e30 at 36# hot. The e46 guys were at the same pressure. One of the guys ran 45# on sticker Hankook slicks, by mistake — he was sliding everywhere, until he took the air out.

B0C35608-85F3-495D-AE23-F9ED446C4E11.jpeg

Edit: You can really see how far my tires were pushed in these close-ups.

Screenshot 2019-12-30 08.59.17.png

Screenshot 2019-12-30 09.04.27.png

·
Registered
440 Posts
Oh...tire check...the right front takes a TON of abuse at Chuckwalla.

The irony, I never checked/forgot to check the pressures before heading out. Running the e60 wasn’t planned, but she was sitting lonely at the track. I’m usually at 35#. We ran the e30 at 36# hot. The e46 guys were at the same pressure. One of the guys ran 45# on sticker Hankook slicks, by mistake — he was sliding everywhere, until he took the air out.

View attachment 933995
Woody, just to clarify again - what are your final camber settings?

·
Registered
5,959 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just saw this thread. Glad I'm not the only one who tracks an e60 M. I usually only bring it when my clown shoe is unavailable.

So, my experience. Tires are the biggest must. R888r were alright, re71 were better. I couldn't fathom anything but an R compound on these heavy cars. The r888s still give way after 8-10 hard laps on a hot day.

Camber and caster is a must as well. I have BC coils with dinan plates, and drilled the slots out a bit more as well. I Run a 30mm rear sway and dinan reconfigured front ends, with 265 front and 295 rear tires On e92 comp rims. Hot tire pressure usually ends up best around 35-37psi. Car is very neutral now. Almost no understeer and will rotate when asked.

All in all, I run advanced groups with it and I have 0 qualms with it. It's not a true track car, but I keep up with almost everything. It's understanding what you're driving. Bit more mass so it requires you to be steady.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts