Registered
1,177 Posts
Okay here we go! Blew out the street Powerflex bushings that are two piece,
View attachment 954370
These turner mono-balls should solve that problem,
View attachment 954371
And then I put in coil-overs from Megan Racing,
View attachment 954372
I will review in the existing thread. No camber plates for now but they are on the way. I think the tire was rubbing the old strut?
View attachment 954373
And some weight reduction that will ease adjustment of the coil-over,
View attachment 954374
View attachment 954375
And a little fresh oil and a new filter,
View attachment 954376
Tight and right! Ready for the track today and then?????? Misfire on Cyl #4, WTF!!!!!! one quick coil change and we are ready. So I have new tires, Mono-balls, coil overs and some not so fresh instruction. Wish me luck today last time I did not even get one hot lap in. The weather looks great as long as it does not rain.
Got the same blue balls 😂😂😂

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #702 ·
Well it was a successful track day, mostly. The car went into limp mode in the first session, I only missed about one lap. I must be crazy to own two V10's. Misfire on Cyl #4 and 10, poking around before the second session I saw this, WTF!
Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire

I noticed that the intake plenums were a bit uneven and as you can see #4 & 5 are not seated all the way. What is wrong with people? All the effort to get in and tighten the clamps and they can't even make sure the boots are seated! Investigating the misfire the day before I pulled a spark plug and it looks like it have never been changed. Come on, sparks plugs! So now the intakes will come off for inspection as well as the plug change and TA's. I may pull the injectors for a look as well.

Onward to the rest of the day, no more problems with the engine. It started sunny and then cooled off with a few rain drops but everything stayed dry. I started with the coilovers on setting 10 and tire pressure at 40psi cold. Up until the misfire the first session was good, I working new lines based on some instruction. My best lap was a 2:02 and change,
Let's see if I can talk through the changes,
Turn 1 is about the same other than braking sooner and softer to bring the speed down
Turn2 enter in the middle of the track where there is some camber to help the car turn, you can hear that I hit it just right.
Turn 3 is about the same
Turn 4 enter mid track and let the car track out and come back into 5 onto the straight
Turn 6 double apex, you can see the initial turn in and apex. Then the car tracks out and you use lift over over steer to rotate the car back into the second apex.
Turn 7 is about the same
Turn 8a&b early entry with one smooth steering input to apex 8b and onto the uphill after turn 9. I have to lift on the corner exit or I will fly right off the track.
Turn 10,11 and 12 about the same only yesterday there was a big cross wind that was throwing me off and I struggled with the exit all day as you can hear. Oversteer is fun but slow.
Turn 13 early entry to get most of the turn done before you lose the camber in the track.
The rest is call the complex and most of it is throw away, it's just slow. Mid-track to pick up the camber in the track and then back onto the front straight.

I went off in 12 once, I just did not get on the brakes hard enough and sometimes its better to drive straight off that to fight it and spin off. I had the coilovers down to 4 by the end of the day and if we had not lost a session to one of the group A guys dumping oil on the track I would have kept going. For the monoballs and coilovers I would say that overall the car feels tighter. Due to the fact that I was running different, tighter lines its hard to notice a big difference. Looking at the video the G's were higher and held for longer.

I was working on my heal/toe which you can hear a little of. That made consistent braking difficult but that's why I am out there. The tires are okay, not on par with Michelin but respectable when the get some heat in them. They did start to get loose at the end of a 20min session. What is troubling is the right front,
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

I did not notice until the end of the day. I had been dropping the hot pressure from 45, 40 and then 38 because the tires were looking good. The left front,
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

And the rear,
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Purple Arthropod Art

Basically it's shot after one day. I know there is a camber difference from side to side for a given setting. I have camber plates in the mail. It could also be a weight balance issue with the coilovers. I could have just been over driving the car through the carousel(turn 6) or the thumb(turn 12) but I doubt it because I'm the best driver on the track so it must be the equipment? All joking aside if you guys have some feedback I'm listening. I'll flip the tire and put it on the rear to get a few more laps out of it.

After the feedback from the last video I moved the camera to the front windshield so you can't criticize me anymore. No really I did do a much better job of shifting and getting my hand back on the steering wheel. I have been practicing on the street for a month. More good news, as you can hear my son came out to ride along. That's what makes turn2 the best, passengers. I talked the instructor into taking Matthew out in his 318Ti. I just bought him some new tires for his birthday, not that he noticed :LOL: . He really had a blast seeing how fast his car is on the track. The instructor could not say enough good things about the car. Matthew also went out in the instructors S2000 and was really impressed with how fast he was. The one thing the instructor did say was for Matthew to raise the car up a little:cry:, I have been telling him that for weeks. He wants it slammed of course.

That's about it, another great day at the Ridge. The BMW club will be there on Saturday and they are great for getting instruction. I would be there but I have to get my wife from the airport. The misfire details will end up in that thread and a more detailed review of the Megan coilovers will end up in that thread. Out for now I have some intakes to pull off. Here's the end of the day when I slowed down and tired to run clean lines.
You can see the floor dry in turn one form the oil spill.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #703 ·
Well I got these in compliments of ECS
Automotive tire Gadget Audio equipment Font Auto part

I wasn't sure I was going to get them in before my track day on the 28th. The AMX was suppose to get the love. What the heck, I went for it and found this
Automotive tire Coil Finger Wood Household hardware

What a bummer! And then I got notice that my track day was canceled due to low driver count and weather, double bummer. I was going to get Matthew out for the first time in his car. Well that's is for me, off to the ship for two months. From the sounds of the weather winter is coming early. Got my son at his track this weekend,
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motocross

·
Registered
33 Posts
I couldnt really find any times to compare to but I got to take my M6 out to the track at Chuckwalla Valley. I got to admit it was quite a bit of fun. The car did pretty well I did over heat but Im sure the 104 f weather didnt help and the fact that I need to take a look at my coolant the car was a beater M6 that I bought just to mess with it and learn more about the limits of these cars it has 182k miles at the moment.

The tires I was running were Kumho PS91s Im on H and R lowering springs. Control Arms in the front have been refreshed. I am quite surprised with these cars and how they handle you can definitely feel the weight is a ton lower compared to the E60 M5. The car did great for original struts on it is well. The Kumho tires have already seen 3-4 Track Days prior to this on this car so they were already pretty badly heat cycled and produced a ton of noise and I was having a lot of understeer throughout the day.

It would be awesome if anyone in socal wants to come with to some Track Days. I would love to see more S85s being used for what they are designed to do.

2007 BMW M6 SMG Coupe 182k miles
Setup: Tires 255/35 R19
285/30 R19
Engine: No Mods
Suspension: H and R Lowering Springs
Weight Reduction: - 120 lbs approx.

Sky Vehicle Wheel Car Tire
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,826 Posts
Nice! The set up of my cars are in my signature.

Love Chuckwalla. Have done some endurance races there. Took 2nd place, the last time we were there. Drivers were taking IVs to stay hydrated, in between the 2 hour stints. It’s always hot as balls there! 111 degrees in December!!

I’ll run a 2:10 with my SpecE30. I’ve had my 6speed e60m5 on there for recon laps during testing days, but never ran any timing with the e60.

Lots of track activity on the e60 side:
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood

And it’s fun to beat up on 964s in a 4door grocery getter on street tires:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice! The set up of my cars are in my signature.

Love Chuckwalla. Have done some endurance races there. Took 2nd place, the last time we were there. Drivers were taking IVs to stay hydrated, in between the 2 hour stints. It’s always hot as balls there! 111 degrees in December!!

I’ll run a 2:10 with my SpecE30. I’ve had my 6speed e60m5 on there for recon laps during testing days, but never ran any timing with the e60.

Lots of track activity on the e60 side:

Ill probably have to post over there I saw quite a bit but then it was the e60 side so I didnt really know if I should post over there. lol 111 in december thats wild I though 104-106 was bad. I brought my E60 over there I didnt like the gearing and the 6 speed for that track but I think my tires were just doe when I took it so I couldn't exit with the right amount of speed and end up in that awkward place between 2nd and 3rd. I wish I had a higher ratio final drive in my E60 haha

I definitely love chuckwalla though its an amazing track.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know this isnt an E60 but I got the 2 door coupe version got to admit I am really starting to enjoy tracking it. There is a lot more track stuff here than on the e63 side so Ill just post over here as well. I attended an event held by Touge2Track at Chuckwalla Valley it was pretty awesome and a good deal it was 150 for the day and tacos included.
My current setup is weight reduction I have about I would say 120 lbs out of the car or so maybe a little more or less I removed the front seats and have a fixed back OMP Race Seat installed I know when I originally weighed the car with everything besides a muffler delete it weighed in at 3850 without the driver. I definitely notice while driving it the lower center of gravity in it. Other mods are H and R springs as well Carbotech XP20 pads in the front and Xp12 pads in the rear running ATE brake fluid ( Im a budget kind of guy) and Kumho PS91 tires with a reduced profile compared to OEM Specs. 35 profile in front and 30 profile in rear the car has 182k on it and is my beater now.

I managed to get 2:11.818 according to my time on a app. HotLap ambient temps were around 104 degrees farenheit and Im sure I could have gone faster but I think my tires were done and heat cycled out since they have been to autoclub about 3-4 times prior.

Im going again on October 8th it says ambients are going to be pretty good around 85 high.

I put a link to my fastest lap and you can hear the tires screaming or at least I think they were

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Grille
Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Sky

·
Administrator
3,310 Posts
I have the XP20s and XP12s but the car is mostly used on the track and they have performed great at autoclub on the roval. I didnt experience any brake fade that circuit is pretty hard on the brakes as well. The OEM Textars couldnt hold up and would fade quite easily.
Thanks. Not long ago the only track pad for stock calipers was hawk dtc60. Which I've used quite a bit, as has @Alan Arnesen. Oh and there's the euro brand that escapes me atm but they're ridiculous expensive. Yes stock pads are crap for track duty. As is ATE fluid once you start pushing it... You haven't tried dtc60s by any chance have you?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks. Not long ago the only track pad for stock calipers was hawk dtc60. Which I've used quite a bit, as has @Alan Arnesen. Oh and there's the euro brand that escapes me atm but they're ridiculous expensive. Yes stock pads are crap for track duty. As is ATE fluid once you start pushing it... You haven't tried dtc60s by any chance have you?
I haven't had much of an issue with the fluid but it's still pretty fresh and the dry boiling point is about 68 degrees different. I could see if it had the time for moisture to build up it becoming pretty trashy though. Yeah the stock pads weren't great thats for sure they can hold up for a little though but then again with street tires I'm not putting insane load on my brakes haha. When I get sur4g tires which are decently more aggressive I could see the stresses starting to put a test on things. I haven't tried the dtc60s personally.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anybody going to the Doghouse garage event this Friday at Chuckwalla its $180 includes timing and lunch I am going to be going.

·
Registered
93 Posts
does anyone know of a good 4 point harness that fits the e60 M5? It would be nice to not have to brace myself while I"m on the track.

·
Administrator
3,310 Posts
does anyone know of a good 4 point harness that fits the e60 M5? It would be nice to not have to brace myself while I"m on the track.
Here, best entry level belt:

I upgraded to the quick fit pro to use a hans.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Factory comfort seats, would be nice to find something dosnt require me to remove seats.
[/QUOTE]

Ah I get you yeah those things are heavy to remove too. But plus side to removing them would be a lot of weight removed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got another track day in at chuckwalla this time with a fresher set of Kumho PS91s which I ended up messing up when I went off. Man these cars can take a beating. Drove there went off twice and drove home about 300 miles round trip. The car now has pretty much 183k on it and its going like a champ although I do think it is time for Diff bushings Im starting to hear a clunk. Im excited to put some sur4g tires on it next and see how it does. My buddy in his e92 m3 was able to get a 2:09 flat pretty much so I definitely want to beat that on street tires haha. I also have been running with no wheel speed sensor signal from the front right so I am sure its slowing me down a bit throughout the track. Also caused me to lock up and go off towards the end of the day.

I managed a 2:09.8
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky
Wheel Cloud Tire Car Sky

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,826 Posts
Nice. No Chuckwalla for me this week. I have a NASA Endruo night race next weekend at Buttonwillow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How did you come up with this conclusion?.
Well I have a code for that sensor and seen it during driving drop to 0 value while rolling and causing the abs dsc and smg faults to all appear it just shifts slower though can still drive at full speed

701 - 720 of 731 Posts