BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
681 - 700 of 702 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #681 ·
Fender liners are still in. We'll see how it goes tomorrow? I took the slicks for a spin yesterday just to try them out and they are about the same as the Pilot Super Sports, need some heat to stick. I am really interested to see how they do under braking? I can engage the ABS will all of my previous tire choices.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,785 Posts
Uploaded the video. I get passed by an e36 running aero and catch a c5 running aero. Aero makes a huge difference in the sweepers at Big Willow.
Ran across this video of "Driver Battles C7 Z06 vs. Evo X" at Big Willow. The video should start at the 9:40 mark; these guys are hitting 150+ on the front and back.

I went back and looked at my data, I can only hit 128 on the front and 126 on the back. Crazy what hp can do for a slow driver. Their times should be much faster than mine.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 ·
Well my first track day is in the books, again what a great experience the M5's never disappoint.
While it was the Goodtimes event to give guest rides to kids with cancer and their parents I found that I had enough guest rides of my own. My son and daughter came out for rides, my daughter leaves in a week for collage and has been working tons. My son brought my SMG car with all the track supplies(late of course) and he had to leave also to go to work. Enjoy them while they are young!

My brother brought his Focus ST and his 40' diesel pusher with A/C, thank the lord. His son and girlfriend came out as well. His son has a 450hp Dodge SRT4 that we have been trying to get on the track. He went out with me and could not believe the power and grip that my car has, he's not so sure now that he would beat me in a race? My brothers ST was on the line all day long, he has old brakes and old tires. He does most of his track time on his GSXR so that is where most of his money goes. It was a hot day so his car was going into limp mode all day because the turbo oil temp was too high.

Two of my sisters showed up with their families. I was able to take my bother in-law out and I think he had a good time,
I also took two more of my nephews out. The big surprise was my sister(I have five and six brothers) not only did she go for a ride I let her take the grey car and fill it up with fuel.

She was really psyched about driving in such a nice powerful car, a little different than her grocery getter. Her daughter on the left was telling her to slow down the whole time.

As for me I was really pushing the grey car hard, or so I thought. The data doesn't show that there was a ton more grip out of the slicks but it sure felt like there was. They were old and free so I can't really complain. Overall even with the heat the grey car did not miss a beat. I was short shifting to take it easier on the trans, the trans shield came apart and is almost completely gone now. The tires did not make it to the end of the day,

One is obvious but the bottom one was also coming apart inside. It is amazing how these things hold together when they are coming apart. I was just heading out with an instructor and we pulled back in to have a look at why the car was shaking so badly. I always bring spare wheels and tires so I was able to get home just fine.

Fortunately he took me out in his S2000 and showed me a whole new track to drive. When I return we will go back out in my car and see if I can learn anything. The biggest difference is that he showed me how to use the track to get through the corners, of course the track is not flat if you look hard enough. I did much better at shifting and getting my hand back on the wheel, thanks for the tip!

The story was not so great for the SMG car. In the middle of the second session it had a misfire on cyl #7. The car feels so much different than the manual car. I don't know if it is the FAMS tune or the gearing but it pulls way harder from 4000rpm to the redline. It is so much fun to drive I just don't know if I can let it go? The problem is that I already have too many cars and boats to drive and I just don't drive them enough.

Many people stopped buy to check out the cars and could not believe that I have two.

Next on the list is tires of course. I have a set of wheels with 4S tires on them already so I can return to the track anytime. The instructor recommended Hankook RS4's as a really tough tire that has a stiff sidewall to handle the weight. They run them in Lucky Dog events and get good performance. The 4S tires are great, they turn on by the first corner and there is no better wet tire. The problem is the soft rounded side wall. The PSS has a stiff square sidewall but they need to be hot so it takes a lap or two on a good day and you can forget it if there is water.

For now it is fishing and boating, salmon and halibut are open and the sun is out. So the cars will get the back burner for awhile. In the end a fantastic day with my family and if it had not been for the strong attendance my wife said she was even going to go for a ride!

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
What a great time with the family at the track!! The smiles tell the story! A 40’ pusher with A/C, trackside, is heaven sent. How did the 6speed shifter feel? We’re you able to use my old parts?

The RS4 is a good enduro tire. And yes, it’s the official tire for Lucky Dog. The RS4s held up in 130 degree desert heat at Chuckwalla for 8 hours straight, at my last Lucky Dog. We only swapped on a new set the next day for the next 7 hours of endurance racing. You give up a couple seconds over an NT01 or RR, but the tire can take the abuse for lapping days. No diesel pusher, but a full rack of RS4s from a cold and wet Buttonwillow:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #685 ·
I have not had a chance to get the shifter and DSSR in yet, if I didn't have to drop the exhaust it would be done already. The last half of the day I had to stand under the A/C to cool off enough to keep going.

I almost forgot something new I learned about my M5. If you put your soda in the cup holder it will keep it cool.

Then when you get where you are going you can have a cool drink, or if you get stuck behind a diesel pusher with a tow car and realize that they are not the slowest vehicle. I was a beautiful drive down hood canal on hwy 101 but very slow.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 ·
Well after much review I went with, BRIDGESTONEPOTENZA SPORT 275 /35 R18 99Y XL BSW. Just to try something different. I was close on slicks, Yokohama and the safe bet would have been PSS. This tire is new for this year and just edged out the 4S on a dry track. I expect it to be a bit slippery when cold and/or wet but sticky when hot and dry. The Goodyears lost out due to the SL load rating. I hope to have them on by Tuesday for my next track day but I doubt it. As I now have two sets of wheel and one has the 4S tires these will be my dry tires. I did not go with slicks due to the unpredictable weather where I live.

·
Administrator
3,230 Posts
Just signed up for timed runs at road america this weekend. Since I'm running TW 100 tires and engine is > 3L I belong to the unlimited class. Basically the fastest SCCA TT class. I mean no way I'll be competitive but hey at least I won't have traffic in front of me lol...

·
Administrator
3,230 Posts
So timed track runs were supposed to be 3x 20min sessions. Open track (no time sprint single hot lap bs). 11 cars total, which in road america means little traffic. Except we (fastest cars) were lapping the slowest cars by the end of the sessions. Oh well...

At the end of second session I noticed a weird pattern on the front rotors. Took the tire out and pads were gone. 4 events this year and the new front set of Hawks is gone. RA is hard on brakes...

Then rain hit before the third session. I was curious to see how the RC1s performed. Last year I used NT01s in the wet and they were pretty good, as long as they didn't meet any standing water. But with no pads I just went home.

The m5 was the second fastest car by only half a second. On the second session the z06 went 2s faster but I was only able to improve half a second. I'm sure a more talented driver would've caught the z06 times. Second session wasn't my cleanest runs (braked too late on a turn or two) yet times were better regardless.

Pic is first session results.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
Put my new skins on,

I have always liked Bridgestone since I had them on my Saleen Mustang. They seem pretty sticky cold and my first driving impression is that they are short of a 4S but have better cold grip than a PSS. I'm hoping for a stiff sidewall that won't rollover like a 4S does. Time will tell but for now the shifter is in, the tires are on and I am ready for the track.

I think the red lugs will have to go at some point.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Really fun weekend at Mid Ohio. This is my first outing with the Bilstein B16 damptronics installed. It definitely held the car flat and improved my lap time about 5 seconds. I need to figure out how to do this more than once a year. The front tires looked pretty good after two days and 8 20 minute sessions (I ran this last August at this event as well). 82 degrees in Lexington, OH and I ran it at 35PSI cold.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #694 ·
Nice! I was just watching an IMSA race there and recognized the track. Great to see another member stretching the legs of the mighty M5 V10, such a great sound.

On another note, what is the preferred view over the hood or from behind the driver? My son prefers over the hood but I prefer behind the driver so I can see the driver movements.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice! I was just watching an IMSA race there and recognized the track. Great to see another member stretching the legs of the mighty M5 V10, such a great sound.

On another note, what is the preferred view over the hood or from behind the driver? My son prefers over the hood but I prefer behind the driver so I can see the driver movements.
Hi, I ran two cameras, my go pro attached to my helmet (that's where the picture came from), which I prefer to review, and trackaddict via my iphone, which is what I posted to youtube.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #698 ·
Okay here we go! Blew out the street Powerflex bushings that are two piece,
Automotive fuel system Gas Auto part Engineering Machine

These turner mono-balls should solve that problem,
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Headgear Gas

And then I put in coil-overs from Megan Racing,
Automotive tire Gas Rim Motor vehicle Machine

I will review in the existing thread. No camber plates for now but they are on the way. I think the tire was rubbing the old strut?
Tire Automotive tire Wood Wheel Automotive wheel system

And some weight reduction that will ease adjustment of the coil-over,
Automotive design Automotive tire Grey Floor Luggage and bags

Car Vehicle Hood Light Motor vehicle

And a little fresh oil and a new filter,
Hood Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tight and right! Ready for the track today and then?????? Misfire on Cyl #4, WTF!!!!!! one quick coil change and we are ready. So I have new tires, Mono-balls, coil overs and some not so fresh instruction. Wish me luck today last time I did not even get one hot lap in. The weather looks great as long as it does not rain.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
681 - 700 of 702 Posts