BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
661 - 680 of 702 Posts

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,785 Posts
So what is the consensus on E60 M5 track setup? Mine is a 2010 that I've had since 2013 and I've not modded it. I've done about 7 or 8 track sessions at VIR and Mid Ohio it since 2016. Last year I put on a new set of the PS4s and wow what a difference that made. I'm thinking of getting the Bilstien B16 coilover kit. My car has about 65K miles on it.
How did your tires look after your track days?

If you want to track the e60 more, the best bet are mono balls, camber plates, and and corner balance — which means coilovers.

I’d also include RBF 660 or Castrol SRF and SS lines and track pads.

I’ve tracked my e60 a bunch. With that said, I’ve been tracking my e30 race car and my e28m5 track car much much more than my e60. But it’s nice having my e60 at the track, ready to give rides.

·
Administrator
3,230 Posts
So what is the consensus on E60 M5 track setup? Mine is a 2010 that I've had since 2013 and I've not modded it. I've done about 7 or 8 track sessions at VIR and Mid Ohio it since 2016. Last year I put on a new set of the PS4s and wow what a difference that made. I'm thinking of getting the Bilstien B16 coilover kit. My car has about 65K miles on it.
As the 2 prev posts said it depends on your goals. If you want to track the m5 regardless of weight, etc. then yeah the b16 are fine for track use. In my experience you'll fall within the 911 crowd with this setup and square sticky tires.

I've never tried kw V3s but I'm sure they're comparable. And also @Fiftytwoeighty mcs coilovers.

Stock brakes work fine as long as you upgrade to proper pads (dtc60, pagid or there's a third option which name escapes me, @Alan Arnesen?) and just as important properly flush with high temp fluid. Srf gets my vote as it's as good also when 'wet'. Depending on how aggressive you drive you may crack the stock cross drilled rotors more often than not so that's the one reason to go aftermarket imo.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I have the 2way MCS coilovers on both my e28m5 and e60m5.

For me, one of best benefits about MCS is their location. They are located in Alpharetta, GA; everything is machined on-site — which means the factory support is US based. Servicing/rebuilding, etc…does not require shipping to Germany, Holland, or Sweden.

My e60m5 MCS thread:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow thank you great information, I have definitely thought of getting a lighter car after past HPDE events, but honestly I just love the V10 and I’ve always thought the car handled really well for the weight. I was thinking of getting an M4 (last generation) but when I test drove one, honestly it felt a little disconnected from the road. Maybe you get use to the electric steering. It also seems like all the low weight M cars are way over priced right now, so I figure I will just invest in the E60. I moved to Ohio about 4 years ago and two years ago I packed my wife and two boys in the M5 and we drove 8 hours to VIR. They visited with friends while I did the HPDE, so to me that is what an M5 is about.
Sorry I said no mods, but I do have upgraded pads, race brake fluid and wheel spacers. Correct me if I misunderstood, but I thought I understood that mono balls were for feel for than handling. My OEM suspension parts seem to check out OK during my track inspections. My new tires seemed to hold up pretty well during my last track session last Aug.
Also anyone know who would have the best deal on the B16s?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Wow thank you great information, I have definitely thought of getting a lighter car after past HPDE events, but honestly I just love the V10 and I’ve always thought the car handled really well for the weight. I was thinking of getting an M4 (last generation) but when I test drove one, honestly it felt a little disconnected from the road. Maybe you get use to the electric steering. It also seems like all the low weight M cars are way over priced right now, so I figure I will just invest in the E60. I moved to Ohio about 4 years ago and two years ago I packed my wife and two boys in the M5 and we drove 8 hours to VIR. They visited with friends while I did the HPDE, so to me that is what an M5 is about.
Sorry I said no mods, but I do have upgraded pads, race brake fluid and wheel spacers. Correct me if I misunderstood, but I thought I understood that mono balls were for feel for than handling. My OEM suspension parts seem to check out OK during my track inspections. My new tires seemed to hold up pretty well during my last track session last Aug.
Also anyone know who would have the best deal on the B16s?

View attachment 952398 View attachment 952399
Ahh

Nice Indianapolis red!

I went to an E46 M3. After just finishing it and taking it to track I beat my best in the M5 after just two sessions at thunder hill West in California.

There's more suspension modification, but still cheaper than if I had just done a good set of coilovers on the M5.

Subframe reinforcement with solid subframe bushings. Poly 95A diff bushings. Monoballs, replaced the ball joints and rest of bushings. PSS10 coilovers with vorshlag camber plates. SPC rear camber arms. 3.2 front and 2.2 rear with slight toe in on rear.

If you're there just to enjoy it, I think that's awesome. But if you think you'll go time attack. Find something lighter with better and cheaper aftermarket support.

A bunch more. Like a bucket seat with garagtistic floor mounts and side brackets along with shcroth harnesses. Square set up with some stickies, and pads. In the end it's still cheaper than if I started modding the M5.

But if you have deep pockets! Go for gold!

I love the M5, but, my pockets aren't that deep, or at least I'm too frugal/cheap to spend that much. Also the E46 M3 is stupid easy to work on.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Correct me if I misunderstood, but I thought I understood that mono balls were for feel for than handling.
Yes and yes. Mono balls help with turn-in feel. They also prevent your LCA from getting chewed up and spit out, from track duty. I was blowing through mine, replaced under my shops warranty every 12,000ish miles, until I swapped to mono balls. Early on Dinan was the only game in town. In subsequent years, Dinan released a v2, GAS, and Turner came out with their versions.

My Balls(mono) are harder than yours! | BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums (m5board.com)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you flacoramos, great price at Rockauto. Ordered, now to find someone to install them (or debate on installing them myself) and I ordered the Dinan exaust from another site that should sound nice, and save some weight. I try to go out on the grid with no more than half a tank to save on weight as well. The track event I'm attending is at the end of August.

·
Administrator
3,230 Posts
Stock front hats? I use dinan fixed plates and max them out to get to around 3deg camber if memory is right. Height set to max high.

Stock sways?

·
Registered
83 Posts
yep on Stock hats and stock Sways. Did I read that the M6 front sway is a good upgrade? My B16's should be in next week. Looks like a big enough job to pay someone to do them. Spring compressors make me nervous. A local shop gave me a random verbal of about $1,000 to install them.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you're going to spend the money to have a shop install them, you might as well get the car corner balanced at the same time. Food for thought.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
yep on Stock hats and stock Sways. Did I read that the M6 front sway is a good upgrade? My B16's should be in next week. Looks like a big enough job to pay someone to do them. Spring compressors make me nervous. A local shop gave me a random verbal of about $1,000 to install them.
I was quoted 1 hour labor to take my rear struts to a shop and fit my new b6

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #673 ·
Carbotech is the other pad that can handle track duty. The Hawk DTC60 is the best bang for your buck, I can still engage the ABS with PS4 tires. You could pull your struts and just pay the shop to swap the tops.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #674 ·
Getting ready for tomorrow, going to let the beast out of the cage with the lighter wheels and slicks.

I had to do some funky double spacer to get the fronts to fit, the correct spacers are on order.
The slicks are on the manual, I put the Spartans and the 4S tires on the SMG and I have a spare set of rims with 4S tires for the manual because there is rain in the forecast.

Both cars are running well and I can't believe that I have two for my track day!

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Getting ready for tomorrow, going to let the beast out of the cage with the lighter wheels and slicks.
View attachment 953015
View attachment 953016
I had to do some funky double spacer to get the fronts to fit, the correct spacers are on order.
The slicks are on the manual, I put the Spartans and the 4S tires on the SMG and I have a spare set of rims with 4S tires for the manual because there is rain in the forecast.
View attachment 953017
Both cars are running well and I can't believe that I have two for my track day!
Alan is balling hard with, not one, but TWO v10s at the track!!!!!! :love:

·
Administrator
3,230 Posts
Nice!

Wheel specs (width&offset)? What spacers did you need to run the fronts? Nothing on rear? Tire I assume 275/35/18?

And stock suspension right? You have H&R springs on the smg I think...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #677 ·
You are correct on tire size and suspension. The offset for the wheels is 30mm width is 9", I will have 25mm spacers up front and 15mm in the rear to make them work. I hope I am not balling by the end of tomorrow, going to be warm for us NW'ers.

·
Administrator
3,230 Posts
Interesting - we both ended up with the same front offset: my 18x10 et25 wheels with a 20mm spacer give effective offset of 5. Yours et30 with 25mm spacer also end up being 5. For comparison (and if memory is right) @Fiftytwoeighty setup is less aggressive.

I don't think my setup has room for rear spacers but should take another look. Your effective tire width is lower due to the 9" wheel 'pinching' the tires so that prob helps. Still got fender liners (I do) or not anymore?

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
For comparison (and if memory is right) @Fiftytwoeighty setup is less aggressive.
I had to look...DINAN LTW 19x9 ET18, 19x10 ET25, Yoko AD08R 275/35/19 and 305/30/19, Macht Schnell 15mm spacers (front) . I'm not running a spacer in the rear.

661 - 680 of 702 Posts