BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
641 - 660 of 702 Posts

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,785 Posts
Only thing I can say is try to keep both hands on the wheel as much as possible. Btw, how did the trans temp go with yours? Mine popped a high temp warning on my last session. It was only around 70 degrees as I recall.
Agreed with the 2 hands. Didn't notice until I watched on a larger screen.

Also, I keep forgetting that I'm running different gear oil in my 6MT: Redline ShockProof Lightweight 75w140.

Alan -- I think your hand is "hovering" over the stick, as you figure out your shift points.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #642 ·
I just changed the oil in the transmission(MTL) and rear differential(shockproof) Monday. The only time the trans overheated is when I was going almost to the redline on the straights instead of short shifting.

If I can get back down to 2:00 like I was in the SMG that's pretty good. Two hands on the wheel is a good tip, my left arm was getting tired. Hand hovering is a good way to put it, I need to move back and forth to the steering wheel. I quicker shift would help, also I liked leaving it in higher gears and using the torque to bring me out of the apex.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Open test days are always fun. My e30 is “down” so not racing NASA this weekend; instead more testing on the e28.

Closing down on two spec Miatas, with an LMP filling my mirrors:

The LMP is getting bigger! This should be fun going into 7, 8, and 9:

Three wide in 7 going into 8:

Tucking in behind the LMP, one Miata in the mirror and the other to my left, in Turn 8. The LMP is gone!

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Uploaded the video. I get passed by an e36 running aero and catch a c5 running aero. Aero makes a huge difference in the sweepers at Big Willow.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #645 ·
Love the sound of the S38, now that I am aware my shifter hovering was terrible. Looking forward to the three pedal June 1 if I get it done? But I have a spare;).

Big Willow looks so much different than the tracks I run, big fast sweepers. Nice overtake behind the LMP.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Nice overtake behind the LMP.
I passed the LMP on his outlap, so I knew he was coming — eventually!

Really big sweepers that eat up DS front tires. Definitely need more Cowbell! Going to dial in -.5 more Cowbell, I mean camber!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #647 ·
I myself am beginning to wonder if more camber is in order for my M5. -2.5 is widely accepted as a good limit for a street setup to conserve tires. At the rate that I go through tires and the limited street driving I do does it really matter? I quit switching out my brake pads long ago unless it is a rain day and the DCT60's will not get up to temp.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
At the rate that I go through tires and the limited street driving I do does it really matter?
Not really. Why not try -3.0?

I’m -3.0 going to -3.5 on the e28 BECAUSE I’m driving at 9/10s and 10/10s the track — that is until I run out of talent 🤣😂🤣.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #649 ·
I think as you have pointed out there are limits to the weight and shape of a platform. At that point as always the track will tell you what is needed, downforce. As we all know the key to going fast in an F1 car is going fast enough to get the aero working because there is little weight to do that work.

As far a talent there is only so much you can do with a certain platform. Again we all know we can go get a GT3RS and turn a faster lap what where is the fun in that. We take are rare to the track sedans and constantly try to squeeze every bit we can out of it, now that's fun! Awesome to see the e28 out there tearing it up, a surprise to many I'm sure.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
This is what it looks like to be lost on my outlap.

My third time at Big Willow, but only my second day of lapping. The first time was running drills for Comp School. Here, I'm going out of Turn 8 and into Turn 9. I'm not really sure where I need to be. I should be a couple car widths over to the left. Instead, I've over-slowed and tightened up the radius of the curve, which is going to effect my exit and top speed on the front straightaway.

You can see, I'm already downshifting and looking for the apex, but I never tracked out far enough in 8 and have an early/tight entry into 9.

The irony, this was the first time they put out braking cones. I saw them, which threw me off :ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #651 ·
Getting ready for Thursday, new brake lines

I also found a tire down to the chords, must be an alignment issue on the new car?

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Getting ready for Thursday, new brake lines
View attachment 951442
I also found a tire down to the chords, must be an alignment issue on the new car?
Inners? Could be from highway driving. Can you get an alignment done, to baseline, before you hit the track? How are the rest of the bits in the suspension?

·
Registered
6,785 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #655 ·
Inners? Could be from highway driving. Can you get an alignment done, to baseline, before you hit the track? How are the rest of the bits in the suspension?
I am pretty good with a string and a camber gauge. The rear looks good which is were the bad tire is, the front strut arms are shot. I'll be looking closely at the tow which will fry a tire in short order.

·
Administrator
3,230 Posts
Nice. I've never run an AutoX in a car that I own. 82.625 is almost a lap at some tracks.
Yep that's exactly what it was: one lap around the track (standing start). Maybe 5 or so cars spun or crashed on the first run due to cold tires, etc. I bumped up pressures before starting and still drifted on one of the faster turns. Second run was my only decent run. I'm guessing I can shave a second off with only half a tank and something to keep tires warm. Oh and assuming I don't run out of talent :).

·
Registered
6,785 Posts

·
Administrator
3,230 Posts
The RC-1s performed well?
AX not so much as they can't get up to temp, hence me drifting, etc. But on longer runs absolutely. Have used them for 3 events and from/to track. One event was 3hrs open track. Waaay better than NT01s. Only question is how long they'll last. Based on wear they should be as good as NT01s.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So what is the consensus on E60 M5 track setup? Mine is a 2010 that I've had since 2013 and I've not modded it. I've done about 7 or 8 track sessions at VIR and Mid Ohio it since 2016. Last year I put on a new set of the PS4s and wow what a difference that made. I'm thinking of getting the Bilstien B16 coilover kit. My car has about 65K miles on it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
So what is the consensus on E60 M5 track setup? Mine is a 2010 that I've had since 2013 and I've not modded it. I've done about 7 or 8 track sessions at VIR and Mid Ohio it since 2016. Last year I put on a new set of the PS4s and wow what a difference that made. I'm thinking of getting the Bilstien B16 coilover kit. My car has about 65K miles on it.
She's a boat. While fun occasionally. And handles surprisingly well for the weight. If you're getting more serious. Invest in a track car. Much cheaper in the long run. And you won't mind tearing into the interior. Because you should eventually get into a cage.

As most instructors say, not if you'll crash. But when.

It doesn't answer your question. Sorry. Focus on renewing suspension bushings and such, and a square set up with some sticky tires. Then some coilovers and give her a nice camber set up.

641 - 660 of 702 Posts