BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

601 - 620 of 642 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #601 ·
Yes in a sense, the transmission has an oil pump and cooler that I run manually. When I speak of the SMG I mean the hydraulic or control system for the transmission. The theory is that if the trans is cooler and the SMG system is mounted to the trans it will run cooler. This is of course just one big band-aid for the SMG which needs overhaul or replacement. All of my problems(codes) are hydraulic(SMG) related. I have yet to read of a problem with the transmission/gearbox.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,594 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Nice! 35 is better than 110 at Willow Springs!!!
Yup, up to 125 back in my day in mid June. But it wasnt that bad once you were going over 60 in a leather suit! Yup but it did get up to 42 degrees later on. My tire pressure I left it 36.5. Didnt really get hot. Could probably benefit with extra traction? The instructor wanted to not focus on those but just fundamentals of course. Traction control goes nuts sometimes on those cold tires, a little more challenging in an E60 with extra ponies and GO juice (E85).. very handy when passing lol.

My damn GoPro ran out of battery.. rookie mistake. All I have is this grainy Rexing dash cam video for today.. smh..

·
Registered
6,594 Posts

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Added a retro logo to my seat for a little bit of bling bling.

·
2,907 Posts
Got some prepping done for next weekend. Took a risk and got lucky to find that 18x10 et25 fit up front with 20mm spacers. Maxxis RC-1 275/35/18 inner sidewall lettering just kisses the strut. Note I've B16 coilovers and dinan camber plates set to max. Doubt this setup fits if running stock camber.

RC1 275 vs. pilot A/S 3+ 255:

Compared to last year's NT01 275 on 9.5 wheels, the 18x10 maxxis are 3/4" wider:

Bad news is caliper boots are gone, suspect most of our cars are like this given their age. Bmw boots are $$$. Had bought raybestos from rockauto and they fit but not too well. As rears were in same (sad) shape bought more seals&boots from centric and acdelco to compare.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts

·
2,907 Posts
Nice wheels!

So Alan PM'd me and I feel it'd be good to have this info out here too.

Last year I used NT01's which are 'R' rated 100 TW tires on 9.5" wheels. This year I got something from the same category: maxxis rc1 DOT 100tw rated, so not really slicks. They're XL rated tho and supposedly have a stiffer sidewall which should help with front shoulder wear. I haven't been to the track yet but can tell on the street that the car follows steering inputs much quicker. Whether that's the result of the XL tires or the new 10" wheels I don't know.

Slicks were tempting tho (used ones that is). There's a shop selling used race tires nearby and they're $400-600 for a set depending on their condition. Last year I test fit some pirelli DH 285 true slicks on apex 18x10 wheels from a guy at the track and they fit just fine with only 18mm spacers (maxxis won't fit with anything less than 20mm fyi). Again this is with my coilover setup, etc. There is the question of load rating for slicks - our cars are heavy.

Wish I had tested the NT01's with 10" wheels so they'll sit more square to the wheel / slightly stretched which is supposedly ideal. The 9.5 wheels pinch the 275 NT01's a bit so hopefully shoulder wear will be better this year. As a side note tire official width (i.e. 275, 285, etc) is useless. From the tires I've used I can tell that 275 BFG R1s on 9.5" were as wide or wider than the maxxis RC1 275 on 10", which are wider than the 275 nitto NT01s on 9.5" and least wide were the 285 pirellis on 10".

I feel there is a significant gap between street tires and the NT01/RC1s. How much is due to having a 275 tire up front vs. rubber formula I don't know as it's not really apples to apples.

·
2,907 Posts
First session and the maxxis are a big improvement over nt01. Not apples to apples as wheels are 0.5" wider now. Where the nittos would 'roll over' their shoulder the maxxis just slide predictably. It's 50 right now tho we'll see later when it gets into the 80s.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 ·
Well now I'm back over here, I guess?
The winter prep is complete, fresh oil in the engine, trans, diff, brakes and SMG. Put on new brakes rotors as the old ones were below the minimum and had cracks almost through to the edge. The tires have a few days on them but are pretty fresh as well. I think this will be the freshest setup if I make it, got to fix the prop axle CV joint.

If I make it will be be at the RMP in Shelton on the 4th from 2-8pm. I asked for a check ride to get signed off for group A with Turn2. Tom's standards are pretty high as these events have some of the best drivers. 1:55 lap time, lines that don't deviate more than 2", good heal tow shifting and track awareness for passing. The third one should be easy;)

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Where the nittos would 'roll over' their shoulder
You mean like this:

Driver’s front takes a beating atBig Willow. I’m still trying to dial in my pressures for the e28. Got up into the 90s yesterday, so pressures were up, and I kept on taking air away.

My rear NT01 looked better:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 ·
Driveshaft is kuput! I have one coming from Drivelines NW overnight but it will not ship until Monday. The current plan is to put some pads and DOT4 in the 750 and take that. Any track day is better than none.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
A couple laps from testing. Not e60 content, but certainly m5! You guys get a good look at my seating position and eye movements — which is why I think HUD is gimmicky on our e60s.

·
2,907 Posts
Haven't had time to write but here's a short summary: the RC1 is the best tire I've tried yet. Def an improvement over the NT01. They most definitely have a stiffer sidewall which makes turn in A LOT more responsive. For the first time I didn't feel the extra weight our cars have. It wasn't until the afternoon sessions when it got into the 80s that they got greasy at 45psi after many hard laps - and I was still playing with pressure. The sweet spot seemed low 40s. First time I've felt a tire get into it's window and how fun that was. There was a GT4 that I was pushing for a few laps when the guy decided to let me by. Exiting turns the GT4 is faster (torquier) but by the end of the straight I was right behind him. I could outbrake him but that's beyond HPDE tactics. Next session I lined up first and guy was right behind me. After a warmup lap I let the guy by and followed him for a couple laps. Got a 'level 1' temp warning so I eased off. Car cooled down in half a lap or so (thanks RPI cooler and also running heater at full blast). Waited to see if anyone would catch up but nope, we pulled away from everyone else.

Unknown is how they'll hold up over a season. Visually they seem fine. I plan to drive them to/from the track (same as the NT01s).

Put on new brakes rotors as the old ones were below the minimum and had cracks almost through to the edge.
Post pics of the old rotors. Curious to see how far you took them. I had non-cracked rotors in prety good shape at the beginning of the day and now cracks have started to form. Seriously considering installing the rotor backing plates to slow down rotor cooling. And maybe getting a set from FCP lol...

You mean like this:
Maybe? When taken beyond their limit the NT01s feel like the shoulders start rolling / skipping / jumping. No one will keep the tire doing that so it's more of a feeling rather than a wear pattern. I suspect it may be related to them being pinched a bit on 9.5 wheels. What wheel width are you running? I see your fronts wearing all the way to a line on the sidewall (same as mine) instead of the TWIs as your rears.

601 - 620 of 642 Posts