BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

581 - 600 of 642 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #581 ·
For anyone interested, the BMW club uses all the same instructors as Porsche and Audi. It is $300 for a full day of instruction and they are excellent. I will be on the ship until May but I believe that we had discussed getting a group together? Find and event and if I'm off the ship I'm there.

Save the Date for 2021 Track Days
Are you longing to get out on the track again? You are not the only one, trust me! Luckily, we have the solution. Here are the 2021 Puget Sound BMW CCA track dates and locations for the High Performance Driving Education days and the Car Control Clinic:
April 16: Friday at Pacific Raceways, HPDE and CCC
May 7: Friday at Pacific Raceways, HPDE and CCC
June 18: Friday at Pacific Raceways, HPDE and CCC
July 8: Thursday at Pacific Raceways, HPDE for solo drivers only, no CCC
August 20: Friday at Pacific Raceways, HPDE and CCC

September 18: Saturday at The Ridge, HPDE and CCC*

Please note that the July 8 event will be for solo-qualified drivers only and there will be no Car Control Clinic. We want to give all of the instructors a chance to drive their brains out!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 ·
Heading out this Saturday to Pacific with Proformance, me my brother and a friend from work. No changes to the set up, I did find a thread where Jim suggested to a member to unplug the exhaust cam sensor, that person was having vanos troubles. The result should only be an increased emissions warning. Anyone in the area come on out and say hi, we need some more M5's at these events. Just drive in past the gate and park no one really regulates who comes and goes from the pit area.

I did buy a new mount so my phone won't got flying but I will still use my phone for videos. Last one before I go back to sea.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,594 Posts
^ROAD TRIP!

Seriously, have fun. I’m not getting back out until next weekend. Open session with the e28 on Friday, then school with the e30 on Saturday and Sunday. My e60 is sitting the weekend out.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You just need two asses, four hands and feet. Any day is a good track day regardless of what you are driving.
Agree. As a young fella in my 20s I always wanted more power, bigger brakes etc. then one day had amazing fun driving a totally standard s15 Silvia I’d just imported for a friend. It wasn’t slow (sr20, turbo, 6speed) but it certainly wasn’t fast and it changed my thinking about track toys.

The really fast cars are fun but it’s a never ending cycle of upgrading the weakest link and enjoying the laws of diminishing returns until you realise you spend more time and money ‘fixing’ the car than driving the car.

The last time I had my evo6RS at the track there was a guy in a Mazda RX8 that he bought for practically nothing (had been wrecked and was unregisterable). He ripped out all the interior, straight piped it, some cooling mods, brake pads and decent tyres. He lapped the thing all day and was cutting better times than a bunch of much more powerful cars. At the end of the day the only 2 guys still out there were me in the evo and him in the rx8. We had a ball following each other and dicing a little with the track to ourselves. I had a lighter/faster car but I had to drive it home, he had no such worries and plenty of skill so we were pretty close in lap time. One of my favorite track memories.

I’d say he had the most fun out of anyone there that day and his car probably owed him $10k including the trailer he towed it on.

On the other hand driving an LFA on track was pretty f$&cking amazing too. lol

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #586 ·
My brother and the instructor were impressed in my ability get get the monster around the track. I started in a E38 740 and as all BMW's I have driven it was easy to get around the track. My brother really thinks the car is holding me back but I don't see it that way. I'm going fast and having fun, I'm not racing. I enjoy the process of driving and then upgrading and driving again. In the bang for your buck the E60 M5 is at the top of the list, just save some money for repairs.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #588 ·
What a blast I can't believe it's legal to do that $hit! Why isn't everyone going to the track with such an awesome car?

Well the day started out cold and wet. Chuck, Tom and I got there early and had some time to discuss our goals for the day. What vastly different cars, BMW M5, Corvette Z51 and Ford Focus St. Chuck is still getting comfortable as a new driver with a new car(he raced shifter carts for years), I'm squeezing every bit I can out of my M5 and Tom is fighting the limits of the ST and trying not to over drive the car(he races motorcycles and it takes quite a bit of risk to get his blood flowing in a car).

We had some good warm up laps drying the track out. The 4S's are just awesome, they turn on quickly and continue to hold on as they get hot. Tom and Chuck had trouble getting heat in there tires and getting them to stick. By the end of the day everyone's tires were working at there limits. I kept pressing my tires trying to get them to let go but the more I pressed the more they held. Between the extra camber and the tires my best lap time was 1:40.

We had fun doing some lead follow and everyone is within a second of each other. My brother struggled all day until the end when he got some open track to just drive on his own. We all admit that when a car is anywhere nears us the competitive nature causes us to push, when I see a GT3 with a good driver behind the wheel I just point them by. At a certain point holding back gets old and I just fly by and drive away. I was hitting 130 by the crossover and 155 by the end of the straight. The power of this car is hard to match when you are up the the rev range.

Overall the car is performing well and I always get complements at the track. There was another E60 M5 but he was just smoking tires in the parking lot and the he went home and got his Porsche to go out on the track. I did have the trans fail once, I pulled off and let the car cool and went back out with no other failures. It seems like about twenty minutes is the limit and that session was about thirty. Maintenance is the order of the day, I have a vacation coming and then back on the ship for two months.

I have some video but I think I have posted enough laps. I will try and find something a little more interesting to post. O, I almost forgot to review the driving gloves. They worked great, I was able to relax my grip on the wheel. My hands did not get all sweaty and tense as a result. Very comfortable and a nice addition to the gear. I also picked up a QuickFit for my passengers. The last time I went out I looked over and saw them with a three point and it just didn't feel right.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
How does your tire look??

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #590 ·
Like it should, wear is on the tread. 38psi rear, 40 front. I was having so much fun I didn't even check until late in the day. I can post photos if you like. They look like yours that I have seen in my early days.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Maiden voyage for the e28. My first time at the fastest road in the West. And my first shakedown out lap with her and learning the track at the same time.

Then we put on my track wheels and Neil, the owner of Oceanside Motorsports, really shakes her down at 8/10s. Need to address the rubbing on left turns. Felt bumpsteer on the 110+mph sweepers. Need to connect the RSB and fab front strut bar that fits over the larger carbon plenum. Think we need to add more camber up front. Forgot to run race pads upfront. Want to rebuild a tighter steering box.

I love how he pats her dashboard after his testing. He built her and he knows her!

Overall, a successful maiden outing for her.

His clinic:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #592 ·
I LOVE IT! How many of those do you see at the track? That engine sounds like a symphony of cylinders, you don't have to pop and spit flames to make power. I always tell my kids cars run on love.

That track looks incredible, road trip!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I LOVE IT! How many of those do you see at the track? That engine sounds like a symphony of cylinders, you don't have to pop and spit flames to make power. I always tell my kids cars run on love.

That track looks incredible, road trip!
Lol, I can totally relate. I know that track very well. Ran it countless times in my SoCal days..

Screenshot_20181108-214728.jpg

Screenshot_20181108-214342.jpg

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I LOVE IT! How many of those do you see at the track?
ZERO! People were stopping us in the paddock asking about the car. I was in Competition School all day Sat and Sunday and only drove the e28 on Friday afternoon. I’d take a couple laps, come in, and let someone else on our team take her out for testing. In one of testing sessions, Neil was chasing down a GT3 but ran out of time before the track went cold for the night. You can really see the sun dropping into turn 1, 2, and 9.

Some pics in the e30 running drills in Comp School...and yes, I passed!

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Lol, I can totally relate. I know that track very well. Ran it countless times in my SoCal days..

View attachment 948120

View attachment 948121
My first times going through 8 and 9, I kept on getting lost. No amount of watching track guides can replace actual seat time going through 6, 7, 8, and 9. There is a crazy amount of grip in 2, 8, and 9. Passing on the inside of 5, the rear gets light and tightens up the run into 6. I finally had enough courage to pass under braking in 9 and 1 by the end of the weekend.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #596 ·
One last Hoorah! I was supposed to drop my trans and overhaul the shift solenoids this winter but I was too busy driving at the track. This Sunday I will be going out with the BMW club for a solo day at Pacific, I ship out next Wednesday for two months. I'm really just spoiling myself at this point, no changes to the car. It is supposed to be overcast and cold.

I think my goal will be to push the tires and find the limit? Ever since I put the PS4's on they have just held hot or cold. I plan to buy some slicks and put them on my 18's and with that done I'm sure I will run out of brakes. I guess I'm just limping my SMG along, literally. As I reflect on my time with the car I am impressed that I have gotten so much out of it for so little up front cost. Still a secret in the market but the tide will turn.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #597 ·
Well is was an okay track day, what the heck every track day is great!

It started before I even got to the track, I was put in group C! I messaged them about my class and I guess I need to update my resume on motorsports.reg. The BMW club is always a tough nut to crack, a bit of arrogance if you are not a vet or driving a new one that costs $100k. Overall great people and if you need instruction(after covid) the best deal by far.

I got there at 0800 for the track meeting and the track went hot at 0900 so I had to wait almost two hours to get out on the track(group C). The first session was wet but there were only six in my group so once I passed everyone I pretty much had the track to myself, good and bad. I learned another lesson, always arrive with your tire pressure high. I started low thinking they would warm up and come up to pressure, nope. It was wet and cold of course which keeps the temps down but not the speeds, so I was on the sidewalls a bit.

The second session sucked! I was rocking things pretty good and the track was drying out and then I got black flagged. I thought maybe I blew the crankcase all over the track or something? When I pulled off the event organizer asked me if I knew what I did wrong? What? I guess I dropped two wheels off out of turn 6. Okay, I'm on the curbs but I did not feel anything. I went back out and backed way off and stayed off the curbs. Two laps, Black flag! Again two wheels off in turn 5A, he asked me again if I knew what happened. I kind of chocked it up to the club just being over cautious. I considered just packing up and going home, I did come to drive fast.

So after one more lap that session was over. I left, fueled up and came back for lunch. I went over to talk to the flagger reporting me and the conversation started like this. She had been flagging for 28 years and proceeded to start to give me pointers on my line. I remained polite and listened but you guys can imagine what I was thinking. The day was not getting better.

There were several guys hanging around my car impressed with the car and the fact that I was driving it as intended. I mentioned that I got black flagged and about six other guys chimed in about getting black flagged. I guess what was happening is that they had a new corner worker that was calling two wheels off if you crossed over the fog line. Of course that will work for no one so they had a chat with the flaggers and cleared up what two wheels off is. Tires in the mud and mud on the car, that is two wheels off!

So after sitting around for another two hours I got to go out again. I was running about three seconds slower trying some of the suggestions I had been given. There was a race car guy there that was nice enough to coach me in a few places. The session was uneventful and slow, the track was dried out and the tires started to get hot. So here is a question for you track guys, I was shooting the tire temps and consistently getting higher temps on the inside and cooler on the outside, 140 down to 120. It makes sense because of the camber but I'm having a hard time using it to read proper pressure? Maybe I need to skip the cooldown lap and just pull off with the car hot and check?

Anyway at the end of the session the trans failed. Please someone tell me why when the SMG fails it will shift up and down like a madman but it will not let me shift? So I went out for fuel and let the car cooldown for one more go. At the end of the day they just opened the track for everyone, great now that all of the group A guys are done and going home. So back out I went as long as the car would last. I had been pushing the front straight speed up all day and almost made it to 160. It is amazing how much difference it makes going 10mph faster, the car was jumping all over the place at turn one. I decided screw it, one more round and I'm just going to go for it. I got back on my lines and was braking for turn 2 at about 150 trying to get the brakes to fade or the tires to give out.

I ended the day right where I should have been, 1:39 flat. I was really pushing the car, brakes, tires and engine. I think if I could put together a perfect lap I could drop another second. I hate that feeling when you blow and apex or over-brake into a corner. You know the car can do more if you just set it up correct. At the end of the day I left with a good feeling about myself as a driver and the car. I'm out for two months and am amassing parts to get after the SMG, I have not heard a peep from the engine after replacing the vanos solenoids(fingers crossed). I'll be back in May and the season will just be getting into swing!

·
2,907 Posts
why when the SMG fails it will shift up and down like a madman but it will not let me shift?
That's a weird one. I've had that happen when engine temps go up. SMG takes over once you reach 'level 2' engine temp warning. Maybe the SMG has a similar feature? BTW weren't you manually controlling the smg cooler pump? Maybe you forgot to turn the pump on...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #599 ·
Yes I have been running the trans cooler pump manually, in the end the SMG oil gets hot and can't reach setpoint. The codes are the same every time. All the materials will be here when I get off the ship to overhaul the shift system. My brain is already working on a cooler in the return line and maybe even an aluminum reservoir as a heat sink. It never fails on the street.

Now I guess I'm going to be taking a road trip to pick up my daughter in Minnesota so that will set things back.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Are you talking about two different things in your above post?
Do you mean the SMG gear-lubricating oil gets too hot, or do you mean the CHF11s hydraulic oil gets too hot and it then cannot hit its setpoint (for pressure)?

I've asked you this before, and I'll apologize if I'm not remembering your answer here, but it was a hydraulic related problem that was giving your trans errors, correct?

581 - 600 of 642 Posts