BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

461 - 477 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
Took the E38 740iL and my son in a E46 323 to a CCC with PCA. We both had a blast, it started wet and then dried out at the end of the day.

Going to Pacific today to meet a friend who just bought a Corvette. More rain forecast so it may be a slow day? Looking forward to wringing out the M5, first time since I got off the ship.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
Well Pacific was WET! I had the car prepped for dry for some good Mojo but it was not to be. I had to swap tires and pads around to get through the day. I know you SoCal guys fight with the heat, up here we fight with the wet. I ran the car in MDM for most of the day. There was so much water that they even black flagged the track twice.

I got rid of the wind noise but the engine noise is not quite loud enough

In the last outing the students were off the track and the rain paused for a few minutes. In MDM I was sliding quite a bit (never left the tarmac) and I wondered if it was getting in the way? I headed out at P400 with the TC off, it was a blast! As I suspected the TC was screwing up my corner exits. That is not so say I didn't slide around but it was more of what I would expect so I was able to compensate. This is of course are several sessions with the MDM to warm my skills back up. The rain is a great teacher but for a big powerful car you do lose something.

I have another day on Friday and it looks wet. I hope to have some new Pilot Sport 4S tires by then. I going with my Nephew that has a 400hp RX7 and his dad in a Focus ST.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
P400 is the way to go if DSC off in the wet, what always surprises me is the big jump in power between 5500 and 6500 rpm .

P500 is doable with DSC or MDM off (I had a lot of fun prior to my crash).

But in hindsight any straights with kinks requiring more than 5 to 10 degrees of steering angle, I would advise short shifting out third gear at 5500 in a 6-speed even if running in the dry on older tires (that have less grip than new 4s in in the wet)

The high rpm Power of s85 is deceiving at times.

I cannot detect much let up in acceleration when at the top of 3rd gear at 8,000 + rpm

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I do not know if I am right though, I got out of the car laughing after I found my helmet and glasses in the back seat.

At least it convinced the first responders that I did not need to get checked out at the hospital.

no neck ,back, or head pain of any kind even though I was bouncing off the headliner with no helmet.
The landing point was in a Valley thus not visible to bystanders, but they did see my car once airborne and a huge dust cloud from the fresh earth of recent Armco post replacement.
I highly recommend Alcantera for impact absorption.

I am tossing the made in China helmet with the chin strap loop that failed to hold

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #473
Another sucsessfulish day at Pacific raceway, I went with my nephew(RX7) and my brother(Focus ST). My nephew blew his brakes out and by the end of the day so did my brother. Props to BMW in my M5 and 740il I have had the brakes fade but never fail.

It has 400hp with 110 in it, the turbo is bigger than your head. He was hitting 150 on the front straight and coming into turn 2 the brake pedal went to the floor. I jerk of the wheel at the corner entry put the car sideways and scrubbed off the rest of the speed. We were able to bleed the system and get the pedal back to finish the day. Those nice looking holes in the bumper are blocked off so no brake cooling. My brother added brake cooling to his ST and survived most of the day before they black flagged him for is brakes being on fire.

I'm happy to say that I have never had a problem with brakes and both cars came from the factory with brake cooling. It is really quite impressive that you can buy a BMW and hit the track and make it through the day. Mostly?

It was a cool afternoon and the track was dry, I had my street pads in expecting rain. The car was running killer and after my recent track day I wasn't bad either. I had my front 255/40's on the rear and my 740 255/40-18's on the front. Not the best tires but not garbage either. I was in full boogie mode and having a blast. My best was 1:43 which is not bad. I was able to get 43 laps in for $225, not bad either.

Now the bad news, engine failsafe and trans failsafe. Of course it is related to heat as it happens after many laps. If I had a hard failure it would be easy. The fact that is happens occasionally and only at the track is frustrating. I pull of the track let the car cooldown and I'm back on my way.

The SMG has had lots of love and needs a bit more, the shift solenoids and control wiring. I'm discussing doing a manual swap with my son as a winter project? I do love the SMG though, that kind of technology at that time is impressive. (edit)It just occurred to me that all of my SMG problems started with the Euro tune. Even though I flashed back to US it was the latest version? Maybe I could flash an older version that is not so picky about the pressure?

The engine exhaust cam over-retarded bank 2 is a bit more complicated. There are the vanos solenoids which have been replaced with aftermarket. The cam sensors have been swapped(this kind of sensor works or doesn't) but they are cheap and easy. After that there is the vanos controller, this covers the solenoids but it's $2000ea. And finally the cam gear which I know there is an update for, $1000ea plus ginger bread. So to do it right that's $6k(check that $7.5K) in parts for a very intermittent problem. I drove the whole day at Thunder hill with no failures. I could drive this car all day on the street and have no failures.

For those that think their engine is noisy, mine has sounded like this from day one,

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #475
Ordered a Schroth QuickFit Pro, ECS $260 for an E92. It fit perfect and I think I can even use it in My E38?

I also got some new skins, I'll post it in a tire thread some where.

·
2,403 Posts
Moved from the pic thread:

Argghhhh now I'm jealous. I got the rally 4 as I wasn't sure if the E90 quick fits were long enough (and Schroth wouldn't say / know either).

Are you sure those are for E92? The B pillar attachment is a sliding rail afaik.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
Argghhhh now I'm jealous. I got the rally 4 as I wasn't sure if the E90 quick fits were long enough (and Schroth wouldn't say / know either).

Are you sure those are for E92? The B pillar attachment is a sliding rail afaik.
I was worried a bit because I read your install. I figured they would get it back if it didn't fit or I would eat it!

461 - 477 of 477 Posts