BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

421 - 440 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
You can hear me saying, "This sucks," and watch everything unfold. Panic braking, aZZ end light...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
@Alan Arnesen are you still using my set of DTC pads? Just curious as the set I got this year seems to be halfway worn with 3 track days. If so yours are wearing at a much slower rate!

In the same manner I suggested to go big or nothing with track pads I suggest to do the same with tires. The PS4 may be the best of street tires. But a street tire nonetheless. You are doing trackdays often enough that a dedicated track set makes sense. One advantage of going with an 18" set is the car really wakes up due to the smaller tires. Same effect as a higher final ratio. Downside is engine will run hotter.
Yes I am still on the same set, they are great. I don't really have that many days on them as I run around on street pads and they only go in on a dry track day. The best part is with the DSC off they are wearing evenly. I'm about to order a new set to have on hand. It may be that because the tires are the limiting factor that there is some braking power left on the table, they never fade. I don't recall what tires you are running on your 18's?

·
2,169 Posts
That'd be NT01's 275/35/18.

What swaybar(s) do you plan on using? Last week amazon had one dinan FRC kit for $60 so I snagged that right away.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
You can hear me saying, "This sucks," and watch everything unfold. Panic braking, aZZ end light...

I guess at least he/she didn't take anyone with them. I am always surprised how fast people are willing to drive in a car, truck or SUV that has no hope of having control in an emergency situation. My wife always drove a high end wagon no mini-vans or SUV's. I see people driving jacked up trucks at 80+ and I stay away from them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
And the list keeps on growing!

Fifty, you came off 4S and now run AD008s? I may have missed it but I think that was your first track run on the new tires? What are your impressions?

Flaco, I got a front sway bar from an E63 thanks to your input.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #427 (Edited)
This is the way to go. Get the Pro so you can wear a HANS. They don't list it for the E60 but with luck an E90 would work? The note about the airbag got my attention. No one ever wants to think about a bad day at the track and it is pretty rare but it does happen. Improved track design has made modern crazy speeds survivable.

I spend $500 on pads and $1000+ on tires without a thought and I bought a $12 seat belt. Feeling pretty stupid right now. I guess as long as I learn from it without the actual experience I win in the end.

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
178 Posts
any of you guys happen to be running poly bushings in your swing arms? curious how they behave on street and on track?

·
2,169 Posts
Oh I tried very hard to find out if the quickfit would work and couldn't get an answer. Schroth won't comment either. Only way to find out would be comparing the seat belt buckles between E6x and E9x. Then there's an unknown about belt length given the E9x must be a shorter platform. The E92 has a sliding rail on the bottom of the B pillar so that one can't be used for sure.

·
2,169 Posts
Hope you mean E64 as that gives you an extra mm. See:

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
And the list keeps on growing!

Fifty, you came off 4S and now run AD008s? I may have missed it but I think that was your first track run on the new tires? What are your impressions?

Impressions of the 008Rs are good. No surprises. Spoke to me pretty well through my hips. I think I could feel it in my hips vs. trying to listen for any noise -- if that makes any sense. The 4Ss scream a little more and give you a little warning. They felt good under hard trail braking -- no understeer, but that also has a lot to do with my overall suspension being dialed in.

Here you can see me trying to catch my e30 on R-comps:

Front digs in, car rotates, rear gets light, and a little opposite lock to correct. I didn't run a ton of laps in the e60, as I need more seat time in the e30 before the next enduro race. Overall the 008Rs held up for the 20ish laps. I was more worried about running RBF600 when the ambient temp was over 100. Never had the chance to swap with SRF, and you could tell the difference. Pedal got softer and made the H/T more of a challenge.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
This is the way to go. Get the Pro so you can wear a HANS. They don't list it for the E60 but with luck an E90 would work? The note about the airbag got my attention. No one ever wants to think about a bad day at the track and it is pretty rare but it does happen. Improved track design has made modern crazy speeds survivable.

I spend $500 on pads and $1000+ on tires without a thought and I bought a $12 seat belt. Feeling pretty stupid right now. I guess as long as I learn from it without the actual experience I win in the end.
I am thinking of saving on the harness and just get a Hans Hybrid S

For the sole purpose of retaining my helmet on my head LOL

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
Impressions of the 008Rs are good. No surprises. Spoke to me pretty well through my hips. I think I could feel it in my hips vs. trying to listen for any noise -- if that makes any sense. The 4Ss scream a little more and give you a little warning. They felt good under hard trail braking -- no understeer, but that also has a lot to do with my overall suspension being dialed in.

Here you can see me trying to catch my e30 on R-comps:

Front digs in, car rotates, rear gets light, and a little opposite lock to correct. I didn't run a ton of laps in the e60, as I need more seat time in the e30 before the next enduro race. Overall the 008Rs held up for the 20ish laps. I was more worried about running RBF600 when the ambient temp was over 100. Never had the chance to swap with SRF, and you could tell the difference. Pedal got softer and made the H/T more of a challenge.
Thanks for the feedback, I do understand what you mean by feeling it in the hips. The conti's are talkers so I get that too. If the sidewall is nice and stiff for our heavy cars I really think that makes a difference. They looked good in the photo.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I like tires that make noise
Not liking the sudden breakaway of Corsa’s when overheated, no vibration, no noise, no warning

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
My Nitto's were dead quiet. The conti's were great when I started out learning the limits, if you could hear the dollar bills peeling off of the tires when you were over driving the car.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Need to pull the full files off the AIM Solo2, but some vids from last week.

Coming in HOT 🔥🔥🔥🔥...about 10mph faster than normal. This is either a brake and drop to 3rd or brake, stay in 4th and throttle to settle the rear. Looking for more time, I just lifted in 4th, car went "neutral" and the rear went light, didn't get back on the throttle soon enough. You need to be on the throttle to settle the rear, going over the top of Phil Hill.

Lesson learned: 1) I did not adjust my braking zone for more speed, and 2) caused me to be late on the throttle to settle the car.

I kept on catching:

Holding up me and @kheimlich in his 996tt:

·
Registered
310 Posts
What PSI are you guys running on your tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
That’s chuckwalla?
(EDIT) Buttonwillow.

Sorry, I had Chuckwalla on my brain -- just rented an RV for our Chuckwalla enduro.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ok never been to buttonwillow but heard that the surface there was kinda rough. I drove at chuckwalla like back in 2012 or 13 and found it kinda confusing and don’t remember much trees. I guess it makes sense to bring a portable leaf blower.

421 - 440 of 441 Posts