BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
supercharger

Any got any idea of how i can mount a supercharger and have all the varantis left....

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Agreed. The compression ratios don't allow for much messing. If you want to extract more power fit new exhausts complete with free flowing headers, then remap the ECU and see if that's good enough...

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
C-G B said:
Any got any idea of how i can mount a supercharger and have all the varantis left....
I wouldn't do it. It sounds like the best way to extract more performance from this engine is to increase the rev limit, and remap the ECU. The components aren't designed to take the increase in torque a supercharger will give you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was told by the guys at ESS Tuning that they are working on an S/C kit for the V-10 utilizing "new" s/c technology. This technology is supposedly leaps and bounds far ahead of current technology used by most tuners. This is all they chose to disclose to me. FWIW

·
Registered
797 Posts
MSB said:
Come on guys, do we really need a supercharger on it?

Who's bugging you - Enzo's ???

why not. :viking:
it's already a sleeper, that thing would be untouchable for a long time. active autowerke did a twin supercharger set up for the e39 m5 and they're claiming 600hp at the crank on a stock car. add the headers, exhaust and so on and that thing will be a beast. imagine how much more power you can get from the new e60 m5! plus the motor is well built with forged internals. i wouldn't recommend too much high boost, you really don't need that much, avlittle forced air and that thing would scream. i was talking to a tech at my bmw dealer and they said M power had the car at 14,000 rpm with 725hp before they detuned. i don't know if i can believe it, but i can say it's possible coming from formula one backgrounrd. the only thing i've seen (on the threads) is they had the engine at 10,000 rpm with no problem. i feel this motor can handle the extra power. so if i would recommend any one to supercharge it would be active autowerke! great service and reliable power not pushing to hard to the limit, just right were it needs to be.
so as i said before, why not! :viking:

·
Registered
797 Posts
ttm6

EBuyuk said:
:eek: :M5rev: :eek: cherrsagai :eek: :byee55amg

I can't even imagine driving that on a street.
i can!:viking:
believe me, so would the whole town. when i get my m6 that's the options that i will be definately looking at. there are some tuners here that do turbo/supercharger set ups, but i think it will be tough for me to find someone who will be able to tune the car. i hope active will work with me on that one. there is a guy here who does header work and exhaust systems for all the nascar guys. he now does all the work for underground racing (twin turbo set up for vipers) so i know his work is very professional, i've seen it and the dyno numbers prove it as well as track times. check out these guys site (undergroundracing) you don't find many vipers doing 1/4 mile times in the high 8's low 9's. this company is here in my hometown, so we will see what the future will bring.
maybe one day you can imagine it!:1: :cheers: :wroom:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I don't think you can add that much torque and maintain the SMG transmission and clutch without serious overhaul/replacement, and that's something I would not want to begin contemplating.

Tom

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
bernhtp said:
I don't think you can add that much torque and maintain the SMG transmission and clutch without serious overhaul/replacement, and that's something I would not want to begin contemplating.

Tom
That's very true. Increasing the engine HP will not be hard to do if you are determined, but the stresses it puts on the rest of the car could cause problems.

·
Registered
457 Posts
bernhtp said:

Tom
I have to agree with Tom. I've lived through numerous turbo and supercharger R&D projects and the engine part is easy compared to the running gear. Given the complexity of the SMG tranny/clutch it will take a factory sponsored build to sort out the weak links in the system.

I have no doubt that it will happen… with less than desirable results at first. Even with that said, I have to admit it is fun to contemplate a forced air E60 M5 project car!

·
Registered
797 Posts
jfenley said:
That's very true. Increasing the engine HP will not be hard to do if you are determined, but the stresses it puts on the rest of the car could cause problems.
your probably right, but remember one thing a supercharger builds power and it also has a lot to do with the way you drive the car. with the extra power you won't need to launch the car, just gas it at the light. i'm pretty sure aftermarket companies like uuc will also have high performance clutchs and flywheels in the neer future. "just a little brain storming." if the e39 m5 could handle a twin supercharger from active autowerke with it's factory drive train, why couldn't the new one handle it, especially with the extra hp that bmw M provided. what about the e36 m3. those cars are (95-98 models) doing 1000hp turbo set ups with the factory transmission. of course the motors are built and compression is changed. the great thing about the e60 m5 and m6 motor is how well built it is with forged internals. you might be right, the smg might not be able to handle it, but what's so different between the smg and it's past 6speed trans. i feel the smg would be even stronger especially for how quick it shifts. i'm always looking for surprises, maybe not your cup of T, but those are the things that modivate me as a car enthusiast.
thanks ttm6.
:) :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
ttm6

Cerberos said:
I have to agree with Tom. I've lived through numerous turbo and supercharger R&D projects and the engine part is easy compared to the running gear. Given the complexity of the SMG tranny/clutch it will take a factory sponsored build to sort out the weak links in the system.

I have no doubt that it will happen… with less than desirable results at first. Even with that said, I have to admit it is fun to contemplate a forced air E60 M5 project car!
your probably right about the smg transmission, so may the other option would be to go with the manual transmission. the only reason i would think twice about hte manual is gearing, what would be the final drive on this car. how ever you look at it you'll be losing some where. with the same final drive you'll lose top end. change the final drive with a lower gear and you'll be losing light to light performance especially not matching the quickness of the smg transmission. CA has the active supercharger on their e46 m3 smg,so anything is possible.
thanks ttm6
:1:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts