1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The Tesla owner's letter is somewhat ignorant. He's acting like the M5 is a tin can and the Tesla is a tank. Not that the Tesla isn't a safe and robust car but I'm sure it would have suffered equally extensive damaged had the cars been switched and the Model S was the one bouncing off trees and doing barrel rolls.

That said, what an idiot kid for completely blowing the stop. Granted, from the dash cam footage it didn't seem like the Model S stopped either.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Tesla owner's letter is somewhat ignorant. He's acting like the M5 is a tin can and the Tesla is a tank. Not that the Tesla isn't a safe and robust car but I'm sure it would have suffered equally extensive damaged had the cars been switched and the Model S was the one bouncing off trees and doing barrel rolls.

That said, what an idiot kid for completely blowing the stop. Granted, from the dash cam footage it didn't seem like the Model S stopped either.
I agree that the Model S owner is being ignorant.

What I feel is more impressive than the Model S showing little damage (okay let's be real, from the video footage it just got grazed. Not a direct t-bone), is that the M5 owner only came out to be dazed and not severely injured, having rolled over multiple times and slamming into a tree. Probably suffered from a concussion though.

I think the Model S driver probably did stop, because you see the oncoming traffic drive past him, implying that that the oncoming car had right of way. I could be wrong though. Would need the footage from a few seconds before to really know.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts

What I feel is more impressive than the Model S showing little damage (okay let's be real, from the video footage it just got grazed. Not a direct t-bone), is that the M5 owner only came out to be dazed and not severely injured, having rolled over multiple times and slamming into a tree. Probably suffered from a concussion though.

I think the Model S driver probably did stop, because you see the oncoming traffic drive past him, implying that that the oncoming car had right of way. I could be wrong though. Would need the footage from a few seconds before to really know.
The oncoming traffic and the Tesla didn't have to yield to each other so just because that car proceeded past, it didn't mean the Tesla had stopped for him. You can see in the video the Tesla just rolled right through the stop sign.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
If you pause the video at the start you can see he's far enough back from the stop sign to read the stop before the line. That's at least 5 feet or so. So unless he's the type of guy to stop that far back (at an intersection with limited vision, where most people would want to creep forward as much as possible to check for oncoming cars), I think he blew it himself, albeit much more slowly.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The oncoming traffic and the Tesla didn't have to yield to each other so just because that car proceeded past, it didn't mean the Tesla had stopped for him. You can see in the video the Tesla just rolled right through the stop sign.
If you pause the video at the start you can see he's far enough back from the stop sign to read the stop before the line. That's at least 5 feet or so. So unless he's the type of guy to stop that far back (at an intersection with limited vision, where most people would want to creep forward as much as possible to check for oncoming cars), I think he blew it himself, albeit much more slowly.
Don't get me wrong, guys. I'm not convinced myself that the Tesla driver made a full stop, but I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and not jump to conclusions. At first, I too thought he didn't make a full stop and that he was partially at fault. But who knows...that's why I noted we need to see a the footage from a few seconds before to make any conclusions.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Telsa owner's article is completely biased lol. His car barely got hit! What does he expect when a car rolls over multiple times to look like afterwards? I am more amazed how the occupants of the M5 came out uninjured.

Telsa just trying to regain themselves after their multiple run ins with their cars catching fire haha.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Don't get me wrong, guys. I'm not convinced myself that the Tesla driver made a full stop, but I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and not jump to conclusions. At first, I too thought he didn't make a full stop and that he was partially at fault. But who knows...that's why I noted we need to see a the footage from a few seconds before to make any conclusions.
You're over thinking it. The guy rolled the stop sign, plain and simple. :tonquesmilie:

He probably also edited his video to start right there cause if he posted the whole thing, it would have showed him not stopping at all. haha

Reactions: CobraMark

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're over thinking it. The guy rolled the stop sign, plain and simple. :tonquesmilie:

He probably also edited his video to start right there cause if he posted the whole thing, it would have showed him not stopping at all. haha
I know, I'm a nice guy...too trusting sometimes lol.

You're right. Both parties are at fault haha

Reactions: EuroCarFan

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

Okay, after watching that video 10 times I am 100% convinced that the tesla driver didn't actually stop at the stop sign. Obviously the M5 driver was speeding and didn't stop either but I am just saying.

Then about the article - the tesla driver fails to acknowledge the fact that he was barely moving and has slightly hit the m5 in the rear door and fender. The M5 was driving at such high speed that this little "kiss" from the tesla spun the car out of control - resulting in the extensive damage.

Looking at this incident and then saying "my car is the safest on the road" because of the damage received by the tesla compared to m5 is like arguing in a sandbox full of 4 year old kids. The specific speeds of the vehicles involved and their trajectories towards each other, including the actual point of impact, is what resulted the m5 to spin out like crazy. I am sure it's "great" to look at these pictures and then stand smug next to the tesla, but it isn't the car's safety and build quality that resulted in this vast difference in damage.

Actually, if I was the kid in the M5 and only had a few bruises after this kind of accident, I'd praise BMW safety all my life from that point on.

I do like Tesla cars and I think as a company, they are onto something here. But just as before others would say that bmw drivers were of their own arrogant and "special" kind, the more tesla drivers I find nowdays, the more I see arrogant individuals with a superiority complex.

Obviously this isn't true about everyone, but sometimes it almost feels like Tesla drivers are Apple fanboys. Because their cars are "just better".

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Guy in the Tesla is a tool. Guy claiming he's perfect lol

First off... the guy didn't even come to a full stop. Rolled right through it... A proper stop entails looking left, right and left again. He would have seen that M5 coming.

If I were his insurance company, I'd jack this guy's premium way up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Here's the more important question: Why was some teenage kid driving an M5? Pretty ridiculous considering how irresponsible he was, speeding through an intersection without stopping... He's lucky to be in one piece.

Also hate the smugness of Tesla people too. Had a pretty heated argument with my brother-in-law a couple of months ago about them and how they aren't green, Elon the Musk Rat, etc..

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Having watched the video several times; at 01 seconds, the Tesla clearly strikes the BMW. The Tesla may be "the safest car on the road" but the driver surely is not. This is not to say that the driver of the BMW was being completely reckless speeding and running the stop, but the Tesla struck him. If the Tesla driver had come to a complete stop and checked for on coming traffic, and had he been a safe driver, he would have seen the on coming car and been able to see that the approaching car was not going to be stopping. The Tesla's driver could have waited for the jerk in the BMW to pass and gone on about his evening without the crash.

That said I had a bonehead in a Model S today who, with three empty lanes to their left not only would not move over to allow me to merge onto the highway, she kept yo-yoing her go peddle (don't know what else to call it, perhaps dimmer peddle as there is no throttle) to match my speed trying to keep my off apparently her highway. Arrogant twit. -End of rant-

·
Registered
250 Posts
Having watched the video several times; at 01 seconds, the Tesla clearly strikes the BMW. The Tesla may be "the safest car on the road" but the driver surely is not. This is not to say that the driver of the BMW was being completely reckless speeding and running the stop, but the Tesla struck him. If the Tesla driver had come to a complete stop and checked for on coming traffic, and had he been a safe driver, he would have seen the on coming car and been able to see that the approaching car was not going to be stopping. The Tesla's driver could have waited for the jerk in the BMW to pass and gone on about his evening without the crash.
*Thanks OP for finding the video to go along with last year's post showing still pics of the aftermath of this incident.

I agree with you and ADA 100% that the Tesla driver did not stop/do a proper stop/etc., as it is nighttime and if one does a proper stop, one should (emphasis added) see headlights coming at them with an unobscured view is as apparent in this video. Like most, I would like to see more video; however, if that's all the video that Tesla wishes to release, that only (and seemingly) works what is to me logical marketing. I actually stopped reading the accompanying write-up (re: this incident on their company website) right after "I've used this incident as a teaching point to my teenagers that no matter how defensively you drive. . ." ouich

My two cents.

Cheers, and be safe out there. :M5launch:

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Both drivers at fault clear and simple.
And people say BMW drivers are arrogant ouich Tesla driver is right up there with us.

Reactions: ImolaRedM5Lover

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
" I was a Navy Flight Surgeon assigned to a Marine Corps F/A-18 squadron where my training and duties included aircraft mishap investigation. When I examine the aftermath of my incident, I am convinced that fortuitous timing and the solid construction of my Tesla Model S saved our lives, the lives of another couple and prevented four young children from being orphaned."

This statement made me laugh. I was a pilot in a Marine Corps squadron and worked a few crash investigations myself. No one other than the Safety Officer has any crash investigation experience and even he only has a few weeks of training. A fight doc is only a part of the investigation team to put their medical spin on the situation. I don't see how you could compare an aviation accident to an automobile accident anyway. Glad no one was hurt but the fact is the only thing that prevented four young children from being orphaned was the BMW not coming through the stop sign a fraction of a second later.

This accident is a total testament to the BMW engineering in my opinion and complete propaganda by Tesla.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I think if you buy a car with the same color to match your iphone, you have now literally admitted that you are a tool.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts