BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the size of the starter bolt that hold the starter to the block? as per realoem it is the same to a set of bolts for mounting the transmission!!! but i think it is smaller. I have read around it is a Hex bolt not Torx.
I don't think in the link is what I am talking about. Anyone has an idea about this subject?

·
Registered
908 Posts
The starter is attached to the engine block AND the transmission bellhousing. The two shorter external torx bolts that are M10x1.5 thread sandwich the transmission-engine block-starter together. Then there is the small hex cap bolt that connects the engine block thru to the starter. That little bolt (I think it’s an M5 hex) is just there to secure position of the starter to the engine when the engine is built and shipped to the final assembly plant, where the engine and trans are married up and those 2 external torx bolts are then attached which is what does the real holding and positioning.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that bolt that connect the starter to the block (Hex bolt) can't locate it in realoem.

·
Registered
908 Posts
It’s just a standard hex cap bolt nothing special. Just find something at the local hardware store. If you’re not replacing the starter it’s unnecessary. It’s not meant to be the bolt that mounts and holds it so it can withstand the counterforces when turning the flywheel, that’s the job of the 2 other real bolts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts