BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to do a seat swap from my extended leather "comfort seat" with the active side bolster functionality to the sport seat, here's my question do the sport seats in USA cars have the same active side bolster function?
Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Depending on the year and model of the sport seat you could have wiring harness differences between the seats. For example, my 2006 with comfort, heated and active seats a portion of the seat wiring harness is a part of PT CAN. So an attempted install of some lower model active sport seats lit up a christmas tree and did not even allow the car to start. I also could not start the car without front seats installed. The lower model sport seat wiring harness had one less wire within the overall harness and seat module. I did not pursue rewiring and coding although that could have been done.

It took many, many hours to figure this issue out so suggest you do a seat harness/pin to pin check before you plug them in and try to start the car.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Depending on the year and model of the sport seat you could have wiring harness differences between the seats. For example, my 2006 with comfort, heated and active seats a portion of the seat wiring harness is a part of PT CAN. So an attempted install of some lower model active sport seats lit up a christmas tree and did not even allow the car to start. I also could not start the car without front seats installed. The lower model sport seat wiring harness had one less wire within the overall harness and seat module. I did not pursue rewiring and coding although that could have been done.

It took many, many hours to figure this issue out so suggest you do a seat harness/pin to pin check before you plug them in and try to start the car.
Completely right about everything he said. It took many man hours for someone to rewire my harness to accept Recaro’s.

2010 E60 M5 • Space Grey

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have question, I do not have active seats and I do want to install race seats. Other than the air bags would the swap be straight forward?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hi GDA,
Thanks for the is , the sport seats are from a 2006 M5, so I would need to check the wiring harness for the wire array? Would having the donor car VIN help ID the situation?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have question, I do not have active seats and I do want to install race seats. Other than the air bags would the swap be straight forward?
In a nutshell - no.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi GDA,
Thanks for the is , the sport seats are from a 2006 M5, so I would need to check the wiring harness for the wire array? Would having the donor car VIN help ID the situation?
The best thing to do is do a pin out on both sides your current car as it sits and works properly. Then you can compare the plug on any seats you might be considering and can quickly identify what may / may not immediately work or require remedy.

This was well over a year ago but I recall the driver of the issue was the PT CAN line and that line(s) with ABS module, DSC and host of others on the bus so an incomplete or corrupted line brings down the whole system. In my car it was the wiring harness of the seatbelt / tensioner part that was different and had one less wire

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The best thing to do is do a pin out on both sides your current car as it sits and works properly. Then you can compare the plug on any seats you might be considering and can quickly identify what may / may not immediately work or require remedy.

This was well over a year ago but I recall the driver of the issue was the PT CAN line and that line(s) with ABS module, DSC and host of others on the bus so an incomplete or corrupted line brings down the whole system. In my car it was the wiring harness of the seatbelt / tensioner part that was different and had one less wire
Hi GDA,
Thanks for the tip, my apologies but I'm not sure I understand exactly what I need to do, could you please clarify. Thanks again.
"The best thing to do is do a pin out on both sides your current car as it sits and works properly."

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry for late reply as I just saw this post.

A pin out is referring to tracing each pin / wire back to its location on the harness so you definitively know / validate what that specific wire does on the harness. Do the same for the seat and then you will be able to check each seat for compatibility. You do not want to accidently short something on the PT CAN. Its got ABS, DSC KGM and other modules / terminal points on it so it can get expensive if you fry one or more of those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts