BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was searching m5board, and could only find a step by step e39 M5 spark plug DIY, and not one for a e60.

So after doing a google search, I came across this step by step DIY for e60s spark plugs and air filter that has pictures.

Thought I should share this with the fellow community and allow others to save some money from the dealership :byebye:

BMW E60 M5 DIY: Spark Plug Replacement

BMW E60 M5 DIY: Air Filter Replacement

(sorry if this is a repost, or there is in fact a DIY for e60 M5).

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I used this write up when I changed my plugs a few months ago. I couldnt have done the job without the detailed pictures and write up. Anyone who plans on doing this job needs to keep this handy.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I used this write up when I changed my plugs a few months ago. I couldnt have done the job without the detailed pictures and write up. Anyone who plans on doing this job needs to keep this handy.
You want to help with mine when you get back? I'll supply the beer

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
You want to help with mine when you get back? I'll supply the beer
Yeah Id be down for that. Ill probably have one of my buddies help as well. He helped me when I did mine a while back. It makes it quicker have a couple people working at the same. Do you have a shop/garage to work in? If not we can use mine.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Any reason we don't have a DIY subforum or sticky thread of all consolidated DIY posts? Would be a huge resource.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any reason we don't have a DIY subforum or sticky thread of all consolidated DIY posts? Would be a huge resource.
No kidding. I wish m5board had one.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just PM'd the moderators to see about a sub-forum creation for DIY

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Is there a link to takeing the injector box off, I was going to have mine dipped in Carbon Fiber. thanks for the post..

·
Registered
278 Posts
DIY Maintenance

5.7 Silver Bullet
I am with you. I would also like to see an illustration of how to remove the air-intake over the throttle-bodies. Looks to be a bit tedious.ouich

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Mods are going to run it by the staff to see about creating a DIY sub-forum :)

if approved, it would be a m5board first :cheers:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Only things I would add:

If you have access to compressed air, blow out the bores before removing the plugs to ensure no debris is left in them that could potentially fall into the cylinder or damage the threads in the head upon installation of the new plug.

I always keep track of what cylinder which plug came out of by marking numbers on the new boxes and swapping old plugs for new plugs one at a time. This way you can thoroughly examine them later and know what cylinder each individual plug came from.

It probably isn't entirely necessary but I would mark each coil with masking tape and a marker for what cylinder it came out of just in case the ECM is used to the reaction time of each coil once a signal is sent to it.

Also NEVER remove plugs from a warm cylinder head, especially an aluminum one. Removing plugs from a warm/hot cylinder head dramatically increases the odds of pulling the threads out of the plug bores (when un-screwing the plugs) which requires heli-coils to be installed and thats if you want to risk metal shavings in the cylinder.

Excellent write up, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
54 Posts
These instructions are very well detailed and allows for a quicker remove and replace! Great job Sir. Appreciated the tips, made it so much easier for me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks Mdyman for the great post. I used it to replace my spark plugs about a week ago. The only thing I can add is that; I personally do one spark plugs at a time. It means, I take one coil out, change the spark plug and replace coil. Then move on to the next one. In that way there is little chance of something dropping inside. And for the last two spark plugs closest to the windshield, you have to remove the interior air filter and the housing under it (right under the windshield). Its very easy to do and I am sure its design like that to access those last two spark plugs. There is no need for "special magnetic tool" to get the plug out. By doing it myself, it only cost me $201.60 including 12% tax. It would cost between $845 to $949 (two quotes from dealerships) if I would've taken it to the dealership.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
/\

So you bought new coil packs as well?

Do you need to replace the coil packs when installing new spark plugs or can you leave the old ones in there?

·
Registered
278 Posts
DIY

Mdyaman

I don't believe the coils need to be replaced when you do the spark plugs unless a coil is not performing, defective or broken. OKD makes a higher performing coil for our M's but they are $2,500-$2,800 for a set.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts