BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI M5Board;

I recently (Feb 2022) purchased a 06 M5 with 10k+ miles (Thanks to everyone's support in my 1st post before making the purchase) and I'm about to do some maintenance, like changing ALL fluids... Long story short, i had to take the car to a BMW shop for coding the eyebrow lights that were deactivated by the previous owner or software update (not sure). I had them give me some prices on full service, but as a DIY guy i declined everything and will be doing them my self. My reason for this post is the SMG gearbox, i have done a good amount of research and all i see is "SMG fluid change" for this gear box, but the shop had two separate services for my gearbox (see picture below). In the picture they make it seem as the SMG system has a different service than the gearbox it self.... Please enlighten me with some knowledge that i might be lacking about this gearbox servicing. I currently have a Vantage S with a AMS gearbox and to me is the same, like i tell people (Is a manual gearbox with robot fingers doing the work for you), i just want to service it properly.
Thank you all in advance. Font Material property Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
822 Posts
If its not broken, don't fix it.

This applies 100% to SMG. You have no reason to try to take the SMG oil out and change it. Did I hear you say 10,000 miles ? My SMG from 2008 has over 154,000 miles. There is absolutely no need to touch it or change its oil.

You drain the oil, and start trying to "service" it, flush it, and run ISTA on it, with lots of luck, you may get it working. I have seen people on this board sitting in there garage for 6+ months with the SMG not co-operating. This is not an easy task.

·
Administrator
4,092 Posts
Oils degrade over time when used. If stored in a bottle well... Who cares, not the case here.

And yes the hydraulics (smg) are independent from the gearbox oil. Chf11s for the former, d4 atf for the latter. D4 being my personal choice.

·
Premium Member
E60 M5 and building engines
320 Posts
HI M5Board;

I recently (Feb 2022) purchased a 06 M5 with 10k+ miles (Thanks to everyone's support in my 1st post before making the purchase) and I'm about to do some maintenance, like changing ALL fluids... Long story short, i had to take the car to a BMW shop for coding the eyebrow lights that were deactivated by the previous owner or software update (not sure). I had them give me some prices on full service, but as a DIY guy i declined everything and will be doing them my self. My reason for this post is the SMG gearbox, i have done a good amount of research and all i see is "SMG fluid change" for this gear box, but the shop had two separate services for my gearbox (see picture below). In the picture they make it seem as the SMG system has a different service than the gearbox it self.... Please enlighten me with some knowledge that i might be lacking about this gearbox servicing. I currently have a Vantage S with a AMS gearbox and to me is the same, like i tell people (Is a manual gearbox with robot fingers doing the work for you), i just want to service it properly.
Thank you all in advance. View attachment 966384
Hello hswan1180,

10,000 miles? Where did you find this jem and interested in purchase price. V10 M5's are getting older and still driven...the low mileage one's will be put in a museum as the only consumer V10 by BMW.....scares me because I want to keep driving this piece of art based on F1 tech...but pricing are going UP to replace. Ex: I am adding extra coverage to my insurance to ensure "IF" something happens, I have a start-up fund to replace my current M5.

P-Chi

·
Registered
642 Posts
SMG Hydraulic Fluid is CHF-11 same as our Power steering fluid.

Gearbox fluid, I used Pentosin FF4.

I diy replaced mine MY2010 at 74k, just did basic drain and fill.

SMG reservoir I just used a transfer pump to suck as much as I could and put back new fluid. Did not mess with ista.

Manual gearbox fluid is like any other transmission with the exception of extra draining from the cooler.

All very easy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello hswan1180,

10,000 miles? Where did you find this jem and interested in purchase price. V10 M5's are getting older and still driven...the low mileage one's will be put in a museum as the only consumer V10 by BMW.....scares me because I want to keep driving this piece of art based on F1 tech...but pricing are going UP to replace. Ex: I am adding extra coverage to my insurance to ensure "IF" something happens, I have a start-up fund to replace my current M5.<<u

P-Chi
The car was in the hight $40s, great maintenance record. I dont use it as a daily so that should help the milage a bit. The V10 was why I decided to risk it all and buy the car, we'll never see cars like this one ever again. (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts