BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've already searched the forum to try and find a solution to this problem, but I can't seem to find anyone with a similar issue:

I have a 2006 M5,

The side mirrors folded up and down perfectly for a long time, then out of nowhere, the left one got off sync.
Now when I press the power mirror button, the right one will stop where it's supposed to but the left will swing as far as it can go in one direction before stopping. It is as if the stopper for mirror has vanished. Now I have to manually pop it out of the locked position to get to a useable viewing angle. Even the 'up' and 'normal' positions are different from where they are supposed to be (the locking positions are off). Please Help!

Thank you

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
...Even the 'up' and 'normal' positions are different from where they are supposed to be (the locking positions are off)
A few owners have had the "normal" position of the mirror point slightly downward :nono:
My solution is to manually rotate the mirror downward, then use the mirror fold button. The mirror will rotate up and "pop" into the folded position. Press the button again, and the mirror rotates to the correct "normal" position :M5thumbs:

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QF1exejZIa0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello,
I've already searched the forum to try and find a solution to this problem, but I can't seem to find anyone with a similar issue:

I have a 2006 M5,

The side mirrors folded up and down perfectly for a long time, then out of nowhere, the left one got off sync.
Now when I press the power mirror button, the right one will stop where it's supposed to but the left will swing as far as it can go in one direction before stopping. It is as if the stopper for mirror has vanished. Now I have to manually pop it out of the locked position to get to a useable viewing angle. Even the 'up' and 'normal' positions are different from where they are supposed to be (the locking positions are off). Please Help!

Thank you
I had the same issue on my 06, and I kind of (uncomfortably) wrangled it around in the up and down position to kind of set it 'back on track'. Probably wasn't the best method, but it worked.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have had the same issue happen but mine was due to the cold temp, once it warmed up the mirror that would not move properly in the cold started working fine on its own.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll make a Youtube video to show you the issue, it's as if whatever stops the mirror in the normal position doesn't exist anymore.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few owners have had the "normal" position of the mirror point slightly downward :nono:
My solution is to manually rotate the mirror downward, then use the mirror fold button. The mirror will rotate up and "pop" into the folded position. Press the button again, and the mirror rotates to the correct "normal" position :M5thumbs:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QF1exejZIa0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>
This is what I mean:

YouTube - M5 Mirror error

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

Thank you so much. This is on an unrelated issue that your method fixed, which I want to put here for members in the future searching this issue. I developed a whistling (whistle) sound coming from the Driver Side Mirror the last month or 2. It's the weirdest thing. So after seeing your video, I decided to run downstairs to take a look at how my side mirrors aligned. Low and behold, the Driver's side was tilted downwards 1/4+ inches more than the Passenger side, and didn't quite line up with the body. After pulling it down and letting it reset, the mirror is now the way it should be. I am guessing when I take her for a spin, the whistling will be gone too.

To the OP, that looks kinda Exocist-ish. Seems like the plastic tab / stopper snapped off. I did hear a lot of plastic crunching noise when I tried Clyde's solution, so I'm thinking your tabs inside somehow snapped. GL

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
To the OP, that looks kinda Exocist-ish. Seems like the plastic tab / stopper snapped off. I did hear a lot of plastic crunching noise when I tried Clyde's solution, so I'm thinking your tabs inside somehow snapped.
As our cars get older, they find new ways to break ouich
I hope the car is under warranty, since the dealer "repair" will be replacement.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So an update (finally got it figured out)

Warranty didn't cover it (3rd party warranty!),
BUT
it somehow fixed itself, one day I decided to press the button and it snapped into place!
I love how this car fixes itself sometimes :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
i had the same exact issue as you, and like you after awhile it would snap back into place. sadly it would also go out of sync again after awhile. took it to the dealership last week and they said it just need to be "retimed" which they did under warranty. it is fine for now, we'll see if it lasts.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i had the same exact issue as you, and like you after awhile it would snap back into place. sadly it would also go out of sync again after awhile. took it to the dealership last week and they said it just need to be "retimed" which they did under warranty. it is fine for now, we'll see if it lasts.
I hope it does! Funny how a little thing like a motor in a mirror can become such a big issue

·
Registered
48 Posts
2006 m5 mirror

I had this same problem last year and brought it to the dealer, telling them that the mirror did not seem to be in the right location because I could not adjust it up for comfortable viewing. They said that they had one other customer remark about that, but after looking into it they said that it was with in normal parameters. My only retort was that I am short and a really tall person would have a hell of a time getting their head down far enough to look out the back. It was not until several months ago that I saw on this board that this is a common problem. I tried the method shown in the video but it did not work for me. In order to drive safely, I twist the mirror housing out of the detent to I can at least see rearward.

Back in 2004 I had an 840 with a problem with the flip up head lights. This was a safety problem, and the guys on that board started to ***** to BMWNA, and even thou the cars were ten years old or older, BMW fixed the problem for free under a special waranty arrangement. I am wondering if we make enough noise they would do the same. They gave me enough run around to get me past my waranty date of January 2010.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had this same problem last year and brought it to the dealer, telling them that the mirror did not seem to be in the right location because I could not adjust it up for comfortable viewing. They said that they had one other customer remark about that, but after looking into it they said that it was with in normal parameters. My only retort was that I am short and a really tall person would have a hell of a time getting their head down far enough to look out the back. It was not until several months ago that I saw on this board that this is a common problem. I tried the method shown in the video but it did not work for me. In order to drive safely, I twist the mirror housing out of the detent to I can at least see rearward.

Back in 2004 I had an 840 with a problem with the flip up head lights. This was a safety problem, and the guys on that board started to ***** to BMWNA, and even thou the cars were ten years old or older, BMW fixed the problem for free under a special waranty arrangement. I am wondering if we make enough noise they would do the same. They gave me enough run around to get me past my waranty date of January 2010.
Eh I'm sorry to hear about that. They need to do more R&D on these things because it becomes a safety issue if you cant see what's next to you and behind you!

·
Registered
732 Posts

I have the same problem now ,, I just picked up the car last night from the dealer ,, and I couldn't drive because the driver side mirror is point downward a bit .. I had to return the car today morning just because of this ,, I wish I've seen this video before I dropped the car .. :D

thanks for your information ..amazing :byebye:

·
Registered
353 Posts
i have this exact problem

what is your resolution? i have to manually pull it out of the "detent" (dont know that word, but it sounds good) slightly upward so I can see rearward without putting my cheek on the door. so annoying, and i hate to be without my car for a day for something so small....

it seems that the fix in this post is for a different issue? am i wrong? afraid to risk breaking if its not the right fix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Meanwhile . . .

Damn I wish I had searched for this a few months ago. My mirror is in the same position, out of alignment and can't adjust the mirror up far enough to see out if it without doing unnatural movements in the drivers seat.

I tired the trick shown in the video and while it does indeed click on the way to folding, it doesn't go all the way up to the normal fold position and when I fold it back down it just goes right back to where it was before. I may run this by the warranty people and see if it will fly with them.

For now I have the mirror out of the detent and up where I can see normally, you would think that BMW would be aware of this and come up with a proper fix for their customers, this is really a safety issue.

:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
48 Posts
mirror problem

BMW NA fixed my mirror under waranty, even thou it was beyond the factory waranty limit. They must be keeping it secret, but I believe it is a safety issue for them that is causing them to fix the problem. The problem is not really fixiable without changing the mirror assembly. This requires them to paint each mirror to match the color of the car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts