BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have owned an E39 M5 and now own the new E60 M5, How does the ride quality of the E60 compare to the E39? I'm assuming that the new M5 must offer more aggressive suspension settings to match its greater power and cornering prowess, but what's the car like when one wants to switch over into luxury/touring mode? I'm hopeful that the comfort suspension setting for the new M5 is as comfortable as the E39 M5. Gustav, perhaps you have a sense of this, since you have recently tested the E60 back-to-back with the E39.

Richard

·
Registered
867 Posts
I would say that it's pretty firm even in the softest mode - certainly no softer than the E39..

I also could not detect much difference between the default setting and comfort..

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll let you know next week on this one.. my route to work takes me over some awful awful roads and that should make it easy to tell :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am most interested in the suspension as the ride quality will be the prime reason for buying the M5. I don't want to feel every bump on the road in my 4 door sedan. If I wanted that I would buy a different car?

My current 545i with sports suspension is not acceptable for ride quality.
BMW appears to be making all of their sedans handle like sports cars with a sports car hard ride?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Initial impressions are, after a fairly short drive, is that there isn't much in it. It certainly not the bone-shaker I was expecting. Didn't have chance to play with suspension settings so my experience is based on default settings.

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,217 Posts
I think the ride-quality is fine with the EDC in comfort-mode. Of course, it´s not like a 7-series in comfort but it´s not harsh and it absorbs bumps nicely IMO.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
M5_2010 said:
I am most interested in the suspension as the ride quality will be the prime reason for buying the M5. I don't want to feel every bump on the road in my 4 door sedan. If I wanted that I would buy a different car?

My current 545i with sports suspension is not acceptable for ride quality.
BMW appears to be making all of their sedans handle like sports cars with a sports car hard ride?
If the ride quality of your 545 is not acceptable, replace the runflats. I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the OEM wheels with sport suspension for my 'winter setup', and the ride is quite soft.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wolverine said:
If the ride quality of your 545 is not acceptable, replace the runflats. I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the OEM wheels with sport suspension for my 'winter setup', and the ride is quite soft.
What did you do for a spare? Cars supplied with runflats don't have one....

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
just traded in my old e39 and driven out in e60 m5.......£40000 to change and im afraid so far im underwhelmed admitedly i am runing the car in and so havent driven it in extemis reving out to 5500 but i have to say my old car felt nicer
i loved everythng about the e 39 the shape the interior the noise of that wonderful v8 ......sigh
when i first started the new car i couldnt believe the noise i knew the reviews said it was not good ,,,,,,believe me they are right it sounds like a toureg v10 diesel and not much better up to 5500 rpm but maybe better after that.........anyway those are my first impressions

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did 180 miles today in it, and the ride is lovely.. I didnt try the comfort mode, just normal and sport. The normal mode seemed pretty much the same as I remember my E39 being.

·
Registered
248 Posts
romeara said:
What did you do for a spare? Cars supplied with runflats don't have one....

Rob
I did replace the runflats and my 545i has a jack and a compact spare in the trunk? Go figure....

So we concur that the ride quality is good? Can some try the softest mode and let us know? Maybe on rough roads?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
M5_2010 said:
I did replace the runflats and my 545i has a jack and a compact spare in the trunk? Go figure....

So we concur that the ride quality is good? Can some try the softest mode and let us know? Maybe on rough roads?
Yep, if you buy a 545i with sports package you get runflats and a compact spare. Go figure.

·
Registered
246 Posts
nofear9 said:
just traded in my old e39 and driven out in e60 m5.......£40000 to change and im afraid so far im underwhelmed admitedly i am runing the car in and so havent driven it in extemis reving out to 5500 but i have to say my old car felt nicer
i loved everythng about the e 39 the shape the interior the noise of that wonderful v8 ......sigh
when i first started the new car i couldnt believe the noise i knew the reviews said it was not good ,,,,,,believe me they are right it sounds like a toureg v10 diesel and not much better up to 5500 rpm but maybe better after that.........anyway those are my first impressions
Did you not drive/start the car before you traded? Seems to me the characteristics you don't like about the car would have revealed themselves before you consummated the deal.

my take
simmikie

·
Registered
11 Posts
simmikie said:
Did you not drive/start the car before you traded? Seems to me the characteristics you don't like about the car would have revealed themselves before you consummated the deal.

my take
simmikie
WONDER HOW I WOULD HAVE STARTED OR DRIVEN THE CAR WHEN IT WASNT LAUNCHED?

·
Registered
248 Posts
nofear9 said:
WONDER HOW I WOULD HAVE STARTED OR DRIVEN THE CAR WHEN IT WASNT LAUNCHED?
Sometime it takes a few months of driving to really critique a car. The newness of the car often creates eupohria..... Test drives are pretty much useless for me as I am easly overwhelmed by the experience.... Also, its pretty hard to forget the e39 M5....:)
You will also notice the larger size of the car creates a different type of an experience..... I don't know....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well the comfort mode is just that, comfortable...

I was loaned a horrible mercedes E230 before I had this, and that was less comfy than the M5 in comfy mode.. yet still firm.

So its a good setting for long trips with the family... I love it for the bumpy roads when im not in the mood.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts