BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my rear differential pumpkin is leaking.. probably the seals? I couldn't find any info on the DIY master thread. Is this a hard job? Other than popping out the seals and hammering new one in with mallet followed by changing diff fluid, is there anything else I should do while things are out? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yeah you did rod bearings, you won't have trouble changing the diff output seals. I hope it's not the input seal, that one requires some disassembly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
input shaft seal

Probably the input shaft seal which is a PIA. You need to take off the driveshaft, exhaust etc

I had mine replaced after noticing grease above the diff which was a result of leaking seal

·
Registered
108 Posts
Depending on how bad it's leaking, if it is the input seal and it's livable I'd wait until you need to do a clutch job for all the labor in getting to it. Or it might be worth throwing a new clutch in preemptively with everything that needs to get removed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
the clutch has nothing to do w the differential job, so Id replace the seal and input shaft bearing (~$200-250). The differential can get dirt inside once the seal is leaking.

The job involves dropping the driveshaft and taking down the heatshields in the back, easiest to drop at a shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
Al59751
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing