BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In addition to Option Code ZSD - "Rear Spoiler Deletion" I have also requested the dealer, as with all my BMWs, to remove the M5 logo on the right hand side of the rear trunk lid.

For those of you who have already taken delivery, would you check on one thing. I would like the dealer/manufacturer to remove the M5 logos tucked in the side gills on either side of the car. My concern is that the logos are "double stick taped" onto a piece of black plastic that is an integrated part of the black gills. The logos are attached at the second gill. Would you be so kind as to check and see if it is possible to remove the M5 logos without leaving an ugly black plastic piece that would hold the logo in place? Once removed, ideally the second gill would look like the third and fourth gills. I hope this makes sense.

Thank you.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have inquired about the "Badge Delete" option. I like the smaller discreet bages on the side gills, I would only want the rear bage left off. My dealer said he'd look into it. No need to advertise the cars potential to the local "federalies".

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Out of curiousity and off topic.. Gustav, what do you drive yourself? I know your license is revoked but, do you have a beast in the garage or planning to get one? :cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
AbruzziBoy said:
I have inquired about the "Badge Delete" option. I like the smaller discreet bages on the side gills, I would only want the rear bage left off. My dealer said he'd look into it. No need to advertise the cars potential to the local "federalies".
I would think that any member of the constabulary who knows the significance of the "M5" badge would recognize the significance of the wheels, 285-width tires, air dam, side skirts, rear diffuser, and the four tailpipes in the absence of a badge. I have never quite understood the desire to debadge, unless it is to achieve a cleaner look. Debadging seems much more common in Europe, but is it mostly done by owners of 518i or 520d models who want onlookers to suspect that they are driving 545s?

·
Registered
260 Posts
MortenDK said:
Out of curiousity and off topic.. Gustav, what do you drive yourself? I know your license is revoked but, do you have a beast in the garage or planning to get one? :cheers:

Gustav's License is revoked!?!

So sry to hear that man, especially cuz your Monster is just sitting there all by itsself!

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
In Europe a fancyy car evoikes more jelously than admire if not among enthusiasts. I beleive i is the opposite in USA: its a sign of that you have succedeed the American Dream. In Europe people only think you are a criminal or they get jelous. :3:

MRichmond said:
I would think that any member of the constabulary who knows the significance of the "M5" badge would recognize the significance of the wheels, 285-width tires, air dam, side skirts, rear diffuser, and the four tailpipes in the absence of a badge. I have never quite understood the desire to debadge, unless it is to achieve a cleaner look. Debadging seems much more common in Europe, but is it mostly done by owners of 518i or 520d models who want onlookers to suspect that they are driving 545s?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
When (!!?!!) I get my car I'll be sure to check this out since I specified mine 'factory debadged'. My E39 came totally debadged from the factory (not even the little M5's on the side strips).

·
Registered
646 Posts
I could give a crap about what people think I'm driving. Think STEALTH when the pretty normal looking sedan smokes a Ferrari!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I like to de-badge my cars because I prefer a cleaner look. I believe that anything that does not improve a car's performance or a driver's experience is unnecessary. A M5 logo badge accomplishes neither. (However, I am okay with the BMW blue/white badge because the car would look odd without them.) The purpose is not to hide the fact that I am driving an M5 or a 518i. I honestly don't care what people think. The reality is that the M5 is sufficiently different from the standard 5-series that any car/BMW enthusiast will immediately know that the car is an M5. If you take a look at the BMW Z8, you will notice that there are no badges at all other than the standard BMW blue and whites.

By the same token, my greatest misgiving about the new Ferrari F430 is the designers at Pininfarina decided to incorporate the F430 logo onto the side mirrors.

In my mind, neither preference is right or wrong. It is exactly that . . . a preference.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
One of the nice things about the B5 is it's Ultra-Stealthy - from the rear it looks pretty much identical to a 545 or a 535d, and could even be mistaken for a de-badged 520i, since it has the regular "SE" tail-end look.

Course, I went and spoiled it by getting the silver Alpina pinstriping down the sides of mine...

Still, always fun on the autobahn when some joker in a Carrera flashes his headlights in the rear-view mirror!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Those that know their cars, know the car, badge or no badge, especially when we are talking M5.
Those that don't know, don't care and would be horrified about 507bhp anyway, so it's just aswell that they don't.

·
Registered
68 Posts
SWP said:
By the same token, my greatest misgiving about the new Ferrari F430 is the designers at Pininfarina decided to incorporate the F430 logo onto the side mirrors.

Dang it- if it weren't for the blingy embossed model designation on the F430 side mirrors , the car would pretty much blend in/ dissappear with the Camry's on the daily commute! :D

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
tonach said:
Those that know their cars, know the car, badge or no badge, especially when we are talking M5.
Those that don't know, don't care and would be horrified about 507bhp anyway, so it's just aswell that they don't.
And the same applies to most of the highway gendarmes! :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
374 Posts
15 years ago when I had my E28 M5, definetley the most discrete M5, I spent some money modifying it. It was the best money I have ever spent modifying a car.

I went to my local BMW Dealer and spent £6 on a 520i badge.

I then had a 520i with a set of 16" BBS wheels, which I later changed to to set of Alpina 16" wheels.

I have not had so much fun ever. I remember some seriously unhappy 911 drivers and a very unamused Ferrari driver one night who did not see which way I went!!!

They all had that look of shock on their faces, ie how a 129bhp 5 series left them all for dead.:1:

Ashok you did the right thing cause your car (apart from the exhausts) could easily be mistaken for a normal sport model. I think the same is true for the current M5. Debadged it will look like a normal sport model bar the exhausts. I would debadge it everytime.

The E28 for me is still the ultimate and most discrete.

·
Registered
58 Posts
On a similar note...I like to add a V10 Logo to the back left side when I get my M5...does anyone know where I can get something like that???

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
That is a great story Amjad Ali! How fortunate to own an M5 E28 in the 80', talk about a discreet car.

Amjad Ali said:
15 years ago when I had my E28 M5, definetley the most discrete M5, I spent some money modifying it. It was the best money I have ever spent modifying a car.

I went to my local BMW Dealer and spent £6 on a 520i badge.

I then had a 520i with a set of 16" BBS wheels, which I later changed to to set of Alpina 16" wheels.

I have not had so much fun ever. I remember some seriously unhappy 911 drivers and a very unamused Ferrari driver one night who did not see which way I went!!!

They all had that look of shock on their faces, ie how a 129bhp 5 series left them all for dead.:1:

Ashok you did the right thing cause your car (apart from the exhausts) could easily be mistaken for a normal sport model. I think the same is true for the current M5. Debadged it will look like a normal sport model bar the exhausts. I would debadge it everytime.

The E28 for me is still the ultimate and most discrete.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
junoman said:
On a similar note...I like to add a V10 Logo to the back left side when I get my M5...does anyone know where I can get something like that???
I wouldn't do that; but if you want the V-10 emblem from the engine, the part number is 11617834686 and the cost is approx. $30.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
SWP said:

In my mind, neither preference is right or wrong. It is exactly that . . . a preference.
The old saying "Substance over Form" applies here. On the old e28 M5 there was NOTHING on the car to just to please the eye, it was all about effectiveness. The e34 M5 lost that a little, the e39 lost it all the way. I'm glad the e60 is returning to stealth, but it's not there yet. They should lose the non-functional side-vents IMHO, and make it a little less noticable.

BTW, I'm a big fan of debadging. Nothing to tell my car apart from a 525i except the airintakes below the bumper, and that just how I like it...... ALL of our work-vehicles are debadged, and some are simlified even further. Just a few examples below, just a fraction:

-VW Passat W8 with a normal rear-bumper and V6 exhausts
-e38 750iL without badges and without chrome slats in the grille on normal (non V12) alloys.
-e39 (pre-facelift) 540iP debadged with black grill-slats.
-A8L W12 with 3-litre rear-bumper-cover and exhausttips
-178bhp (chipped) Volkswagen Caravelle T4 TDI converted to Transporter van (silver) with unpainted bumpers on steel 16" wheels instead of colour-codeing and it's standard alloys. And the B6 specs say nothing Alpina-like....

As a result these cars attract NO attention, and work becomes a lot easier and more secure. They're also less prone to vandalising..... These cars are allready in- or very close to retirement so no problem to mention them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts