BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I just purchased a new motor because I was worried about NLA.... Kinda like the milk and break syndrome. Now Jim comes out with this, oh well. Nice work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
yeah...sorry about that...

It's been in the works for a while, but couldn't quite complete the kit to match what the OEM offers.

The brush wear is actually exaggerated by a design...I'll call it an oversight...I discovered on accident. It affects every motor I've been in and causes a *lot* of brush wear. Won't say more than that except I fix them.

Combine that with being a sealed can for environmental reasons and the result is low motor torque to the point they don't work anymore.

There are a couple of things I don't include that the OEM kit does, the main one being the o-ring sealing washer from the motor the the pump block. These are similar to Stat-O-seals, but I just haven't been able to source any that are the right size both ID and OD. I've never seen a leak on these though, never seen fluid on a motor face.

I wanted to offer it sooner, but learned my lesson on the sensor strips....That burned me big time with a *massive* waste of time, money, and energy and will never come to fruition.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I noticed he has actuaters on his site also. From everything i have read up on the e60 M5, seems like those parts go out just as common as the SMG components and Vanos. I recently purchased my 08 M5 with 84,xxx miles. Within the intial 15 miles it was throwing codes. Next day, it wouldnt start. PLCD has been replaced along with Salmon fuse and that other fuse. Clear codes, drive for a couple days, and then back to square 1. Open door, no prime. No start. Its literally been towed more miles than i have driven it lol.

My conclusion after reading everything and studying threads on the M5board, im replacing everything that goes wrong including the clutch and all other related components down there.. Overall, those first few miles were outstanding and memorable lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Yes, I will be continuing to rebuild these. I'll get the listing more updated tomorrow with info, etc. One of the terms has to be I receive the old motor first, before shipping, or charge a ridiculous core charge. I learned from doing refurbs on the hydraulic units that you never get them in return after the fact.

There are some revisions to the motor over time as well, some of the early ones had a shorter output shaft and I've never seen one failed, but certainly rounded out the slot in the coupling.

More info to follow
As i continue to spam my own thread with questions to achieve a higher knowledge like you guys, but also to achieve a higher tier to send PM's on this board lol. I have this question..

So how much is the motor without a core?

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I noticed he has actuaters on his site also. From everything i have read up on the e60 M5, seems like those parts go out just as common as the SMG components and Vanos. I recently purchased my 08 M5 with 84,xxx miles. Within the intial 15 miles it was throwing codes. Next day, it wouldnt start. PLCD has been replaced along with Salmon fuse and that other fuse. Clear codes, drive for a couple days, and then back to square 1. Open door, no prime. No start. Its literally been towed more miles than i have driven it lol.

My conclusion after reading everything and studying threads on the M5board, im replacing everything that goes wrong including the clutch and all other related components down there.. Overall, those first few miles were outstanding and memorable lol.
Take a close look at the sensor strip wiring as well. When I refurb them, I chop the wiring at the sensor and replace it with Tefzel MILSPEC wiring and new connector pins.

By your username, I assume you are/were a 13M?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Take a close look at the sensor strip wiring as well. When I refurb them, I chop the wiring at the sensor and replace it with Tefzel MILSPEC wiring and new connector pins.

By your username, I assume you are/were a 13M?

Lol yup. 13M now for 15 years! How about you?

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Lol yup. 13M now for 15 years! How about you?
Joined the USAF in 92 as a 1C2X1 or whatever it used to be. Destroyed a knee in boot camp and they booted me.
DEP'd in to the Army in 95, trying desperately to get to 11x then Rangers and SF. They laughed at me and asked if I had seen my physical profile. Offered me 15T and I said "I don't want to work on broken **** all the time."
Joined the Navy in '96 as a nuke electrician on submarines, wasn't allowed to try out for BUD/S, so spent 20 years working on broken **** on submarines. Retired last year.

Now I work on broken ****.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Joined the USAF in 92 as a 1C2X1 or whatever it used to be. Destroyed a knee in boot camp and they booted me.
DEP'd in to the Army in 95, trying desperately to get to 11x then Rangers and SF. They laughed at me and asked if I had seen my physical profile. Offered me 15T and I said "I don't want to work on broken **** all the time."
Joined the Navy in '96 as a nuke electrician on submarines, wasn't allowed to try out for BUD/S, so spent 20 years working on broken **** on submarines. Retired last year.

Lol isnt that the cold truth of it all. Its the same as the Army.. Broke **** everyday. Trying to get maint to fix something is like trying to get congress to agree on defense budget every year. Same for me tho.. Working on broken **** all the time.. Congrats on the retirement! Im looking forward to mine happening when that time comes. Just reup'd for indef, cant complain as i wait patiently for DFAS to send my $44,000 bonus lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Also, how much are the motors alone without the core as my car is still at the shop awaiting the newly ordered part?

·
Registered
815 Posts

Haaa haven't caught this gem

21 - 29 of 29 Posts