BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, one of the best decision I made on my E90 M3 was to do the OEM exhaust mod (welding the perforated section shut, and closing it back up).

I want to do the same to my E60 M5 and after hours online... I didn't find any real DIY or information as to where to cut, or any indication of how big the access holes needs to be to get access to the perforated sections.

Anyone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Im sure theres a pic on google

Anyway who cares cut both open and go for it and patch it up

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here you go gents, I experimented with it so you don't have to... I did LEVEL 1 and it sounds absolutely perfect, just what I wanted. Obviously, go LEVEL 2 and cover up the inner mufflers as well if you want to wake up the neighbours... (But I can't tell you the size of the opening you need to cut as I didn't open my inner mufflers. I assume 6" X 6" would be enough too)

Here's what you need to know, for level 1 you'll need two exhaust tubes cut to 7" in lengths each. Trace a straight line and use a zip cut to cut both open, then trace a line opposite to the cut you just made and just do a light pass with the zip cut to weaken and metal. This will enable you to pry open the tube just wide enough (2") to slide over your perforated sections, then close it back up with your hands (large channel lock pliers help) once in position. That way you'll only have one welding pass to do which is quick and easy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll get one when it's nice out and post it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's what it sounds like. I'll take a better video with a better mic when it's nice out - and the car cleaned !

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Nice job, sounds great.
Do you have images of the muffles cut open and the section you removed?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I wanted to grab pictures of the second side I did but forgot... it would've showed you exactly where to cut and how to properly do it. Here's a couple pictures of the first side I did. I decided to cut the entire lenght of the muffler to know how it was built internaly, and know where the inner baffle wall was located.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
No, the short one isn't perforated, you don't need to mess with it. You only need a smaller hole (about 6" X 6" to access the longuer (7") perforated section. I used a 7" long 2.5" exhaust tube, cut it on one side, then I just did a small pass with the buffer on the opposite side to weaken the metal so I was able to pry the tube open large enough to slide it on the perforated section, squeeze it shut and weld it in place on only one side. Then tacked both ends of this tube to the perforated section to prevent rattle, although the 2.5 tube fit very snug against the perforated one which is a bit thicker on both ends then in the middle.

Much quicker and works like a charm.

Reactions: platii

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only did the outer ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts