BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents, this is my first post here on the board and i have a general question about a ongoing issue with my 08 M5. Now i have been studying everything i can find related to the e60 M5, from studying this board, youtube vids, INPA, etc etc. The issue im having is, when you open the door to the car, you always hear the priming of the SMG pump. In my case, the pump isnt activating anymore when the door opens. 2 relays for the SMG have been replaced as well as the PLCD sensor. This situation happened once before all these things were replaced also. The only thing i can think now is the SMG pump / motor is dead. Idk.. just thought i would ask what you guys think with all your experiences. Thanks in advance.

I will take a picture of INPA errors and post soon.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Use INPA to command the pump on. If you don't hear the pump working then it's likely dead. Since you already replaced the relay the next troubleshooting step would be to measure voltage at the motor. If you see voltage with pump commanded on and pump does not turn you've found the culprit.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use INPA to command the pump on. If you don't hear the pump working then it's likely dead. Since you already replaced the relay the next troubleshooting step would be to measure voltage at the motor. If you see voltage with pump commanded on and pump does not turn you've found the culprit.

Thanks for your reply. I will step outside now to try that. I haven't came across anything in INPA yet in which you can command the pump on, but this may be due to me running windows 10 rather than XP. I will keep looking for tutorials on how to command the pump on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am trying to figure out how to navigate inside INPA to command the pump on. Is it possible i cant access this with windows 10? Anyone?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Maybe it's early and I'm blind but SMG isn't listed in that fault code list, though the dme would report communication failure and it's not. So I'm a bit confused.

Instead of getting all the faults go in to the SMG3 and pull the codes from it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Just saw your last post, to activate it's under SMG , iirc F6 (Steurn) then I think it's F2 which is pump aktivation or something to that effect . I have a crap memory and it's early so if I'm off or you can't find it post screen shots and I'll guide you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So as of now. Ordered the new pump motor and after ot arrived, the mechanic went to install it and somehow fried the SMG relay. Any ideas? Btw, if you supply 12V directly to the SMG pump motor, it works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
Mlrsguy1982
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing