BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my increased emissions has been on for a few months now. When I took it to the dealer they quoted me around 16k for the job. They said the entire exhaust system was bad? Is that even possible? Has anyone ever heard of this or know any approach/ideas I should take to getting rid of this light. I've cleared the light but it'll come back on after 15 min of driving. Please help I miss driving the beast. It's been parked four months. It's a 2006 with 74k miles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you pull the codes and post them, people may be able to help give advice on how to fix it. I had the same error in the car, so I pulled the codes with INPA and did some research online. I ended up replacing the pre-cat o2 sensors and my thermostat (was stuck open) and everything is good now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So my increased emissions has been on for a few months now. When I took it to the dealer they quoted me around 16k for the job. They said the entire exhaust system was bad? Is that even possible? Has anyone ever heard of this or know any approach/ideas I should take to getting rid of this light. I've cleared the light but it'll come back on after 15 min of driving. Please help I miss driving the beast. It's been parked four months. It's a 2006 with 74k miles.
hey, I just had my increased emissions come on as well. 2006 M5 also with 75,000 currently. , I have had this code come up at 72,000 miles and ran the codes and first got 2722, high pressure fuel - cleared it out and it came back right away. it was the fuel sensor. easy do it yourself replacement. located in front left wheel well. you have to remove the wheel and the plastic inner fender ( at least remove the screws from the rear portion. It's located rightf to the rear of the shock/spring. 2 allen nuts. just unplug it and then swap it out. Light went out and stayed out. car ran great. Cost $100.

but at 75,000 miles light came back on and said increased emissions and but this time the codes say Cat banks. (brother owns a shop and he knows what he is doing) I guess the catalaytic converters go out about at about 60-80K on these cars. Yes replacements are about $1900 per side from the discount places like bimmerworld. But I found weld in CA legal Cat replacements for $160 ea. checking today to see if can be done while still on the car. If not will need to remove manifolds which looks like a 5 hour job each way. 49 state cats manifolds can be bought for under $1000. We get ripped off in CA

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got a cat code for passanger side only bad luck but I guess I'll change both.my scanner shows it runs hotter than the left side.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
EGT probes are disabled on mss65 on almost all S85s. This was done via software update only, so the sensors and bungs were left in place. EGT and cat temps are calculated in the DME based in combustion parameters. So, while it still makes sense that the less efficient side could be hotter, it's not via direct measurement per se.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not the most experienced with my scanner does pretty much everything last night I look at it again and was able to see the specs for USA and Canada and could see my one side was too high then I was able to erase the history and the problem is gone for now. I'm just saying when I was running the motor you could see the temp on the bad side was higher. I also looked at the co2 sensors and they were in range and ok my scanner can test them.i did a test on the cats and one bank fails

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
M52006
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing