BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

So I have a 2008 (09 spec) M5 and thanks to many reasons, including covid in the last year or so, I have been not able to use the vehicle as I am in Europe and the car is in Australia.

The car has been sitting in the garage with my father starting it up once and month and running it up and down the drive way (as its no insured or registered) to give it some movement..

I hope to get back to the car in 2021 but am worried if I should be getting anything done to the car before using it again ?

On a side note... I have been reading all the horrible stories about Vanos pumps and line, rod bearings etc that the car suffers from... Mine is the face lifted version, so I kinda hope that at some point during the life of the car, BMW address some of these issues ... any chance a 2008 might not have all the issues that a earlier model has....???

Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Seeing as your father has been starting it up and giving it a ginger drive every month, I personally wouldn't be concerned about it in it's current state.

As for everything else like vanos line, rod bearings etc - those problems are independent of model year it seems. Apparently the vanos gears and throttle actuators were improved on the facelift model, but they still don't last forever. Hell, I had my rod bearings done 2 weeks after buying the car a month ago and some of the shells had copper showing with just 56k on the odometer! Which reminds me, I really need to make a thread about my car...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Change the fluids/filters, charge the battery, check tire pressure. Go for a drive. If anything is wrong, it'll tell you :)

Reactions: 5MOKED

·
Registered
206 Posts
I’d disconnect the batter and dont touch it but change the oil on the first start with the ignition disconnected and just crank it over with the starter for a bit to get it all lubricated then give it a good start up. Nothing wrong with leaving a vehicular in storage long as have some kinda ventilation so you dont get mould built up. Remember brand new cars sit in parking lots for sometimes years without and intervention. I Know with audis you can put them in storage mode. Not sure with BMW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi OP I'm in a similar position, I was about to post asking for advice on my E60 M5 which has not be started in nearly 5 years.

In my case I've sucked out all the fuel and replaced the filter and the pump (you don't need to replace the pump or the filter really).
Oil change
Oil filter change
Some advice I had was to remove the injectors and get some fogging oil into the cyclinders, still looking into this.
One of my concerns initially was the camshafts running dry until the oil could get to them, however I have some spare cyclinder heads around and I can say that even after 2 years when I removed the cams they still had liquid oil on them. My heads were stored in the garage with the rocker covers off, I'm not overly concerend in my case. I had thought about taking the covers off and getting some oil in.

Any other tips would be appreciated around the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts