BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my E60 M5 from Vines, Guildford, England in August 2010.

Within a few weeks (and about 200 miles) I noticed a grinding sound coming from the rear diff on slow right hand bends.

Took the car back to the dealer and was told the car needed an upgraded diff oil at a cost of approximately £450 and this would NOT be covered under warranty ! Has anyone else had this problem? It seems very unreasonable that they want to charge me !!!!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Bought my E60 M5 from Vines, Guildford, England in August 2010.

Within a few weeks (and about 200 miles) I noticed a grinding sound coming from the rear diff on slow right hand bends.

Took the car back to the dealer and was told the car needed an upgraded diff oil at a cost of approximately £450 and this would NOT be covered under warranty ! Has anyone else had this problem? It seems very unreasonable that they want to charge me !!!!
Here we go again...I hate to be forum police but after you searched several terms like 'diff' or 'differential' or 'grinding' and found ZERO threads about this, you then posted your thread, right? This has been discussed many times already.

·
Registered
80 Posts
SI B 33 01 06
Rear Axle
April 2006
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Grating Noise from Differential During Slow Cornering

MODEL
M5

SITUATION
A grinding or grating noise may be heard coming from the differential during slow cornering.

CAUSE
When the rear wheel speed differential varies during tight cornering, a slip stick effect is created on the lining and steel discs incorporated in the differential clutch causing a grinding type noise.

This noise typically goes away as the locking clutch discs in the differential break in.

CORRECTION
On a verified customer complaint basis only, replace the differential oil with a specially formulated differential oil, BMW part number 83 22 2 282 583.

PROCEDURE
Follow TIS repair instruction RA 00 11 259 - Oil change in rear differential.

Refill differential with special differential oil.

Differential capacity = 1.1 liters.

With the vehicle at operating temperature, drive in tight circles (20 circles each direction) allowing the special oil to effectively coat the locking clutch discs.

Vehicles that have had the differential oil converted to this special oil should continue to have only this oil utilized whenever a service requiring differential oil replacement is indicated.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity
83 22 2 282 583
Special differential oil kit
Contains 3 bottles -0.5 liters each
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Defect Code 33 10 02 39 00

Refer to the KSD system for the appropriate main or associated labor operation.

There are plenty of threads here in the board concerning the diff noise......... my M5 had it twice, it's normal and the only thing to do is to replace the differential oil with a specially formulated differential oil, BMW part number 83 22 2 282 583.
Charging 450£ is way too much for the job...... I've payed the equivalent of 60£ for the oil and the labour was at charge of BMW (the BMW warranty was over but they accepted to pay for it)

Cheers

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks :)

After doing a search, seems odd that my dealer wants to charge me £450 when other guys on here have had it done for free :crying2:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got mine changed by my Indy. £90 or so for the oil and £45 for the labour. Cured!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Many thanks :)

After doing a search, seems odd that my dealer wants to charge me £450 when other guys on here have had it done for free :crying2:
If they can reproduce it and it is an SIB, they should NOT be charging you for it at all. Print out this thread with the SIB attached and throw in their face (in a nice way).

·
Registered
153 Posts
If they can reproduce it and it is an SIB, they should NOT be charging you for it at all. Print out this thread with the SIB attached and throw in their face (in a nice way).
Things are different in the UK. Euro and US SIB's are often not valid if BMWUK dont recognise the issue. Worth a try though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
They should at least pay for the labour......... just print the SIB and let them know they can't make a fool of you grrrrrrr

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
£450 is very expensive for a very simple job.
3 bottles of the special differential fluid are needed, in the US that is about $150. What is the dealer charging for the fluid?
Changing the fluid only takes 15 minutes.

You might want to find a good independent shop :lightbulb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
This thread appears to be the last discussion on this topic.

I've got a similar noise which seems to be getting louder in past few days. I searched and found the possible solution yesterday regarding the diff oil, but being Easter, no service dept dealership will be open until next week.

Question: Is it safe to continue driving? Especially when I have to do a country drive this weekend? (Driving sedately of course in our over policed roads here!)

Thanks for your advice in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This thread appears to be the last discussion on this topic.

I've got a similar noise which seems to be getting louder in past few days. I searched and found the possible solution yesterday regarding the diff oil, but being Easter, no service dept dealership will be open until next week.

Question: Is it safe to continue driving? Especially when I have to do a country drive this weekend? (Driving sedately of course in our over policed roads here!)

Thanks for your advice in advance.

I only had the noise during tight and slow cornering, I've waited a while before I ask the dealer to change the diff oil...... (I was hopping that somehow the clutch discs in the differential break in)
Once the dealer changed the oil the grinding noise disappear.
I can only share my experience, at the end it's your car and up to you to decide what to do.

Cheers :cheers:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dear friends, My e60 M5 is making grinding and rubbing noises on turns, I have changed the oil 75w140 of liqui moly but it was no use, I even used LM friction modifier, but still grinding noise persist. I have read all the previous threads, everyone got it fixed with changing the BMW oil + FM, but I am still stuck with it, do you prefer I should change it with BMW oil or shoukld I change the rear diff once and for all,I have changed rear diff oil 2 times but still no use.I have driven it over 800kms but it still making noises

regards
salman

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Have you gone round in figure 8s or circles both ways for a dozen times?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I replaced the cv joint that connects to input shaft of differential and also changed the fluid but still get the noise when its cold and around right turns. After the fluid warms up, noise goes away, also did a bunch of figure 8's not just turns, but noise persists. I purchased rear subframe w diff and may swap out but Id try the fluid swap, figure 8s and put some miles on it before replacing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts