BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
BmwNut said:
Ok, ok, I know it is in a videogame but I just picked up my E60 in GT4 and had to try out the photo mode. Enjoy!
:cheers:
Looks like fun!

OK, here's a dumb question. I've never owned a PS2 or XBox and yes I'm over 40. I'm thinking of buying one just for GT4. What do I need to buy? I assume I can plug if right into my 60 inch LCD Sony but do you use any special controller for steering beyond what comes with the PS2? I'm a pilot and have used sophisticated trainers with rudder inputs, yokes and the like. Just wondering if there's a more realistic "steering wheel" option when using a PS2.

Lastly, is GT4 only a PS2 game? Is there anything like it using just your PC or is PC gaming far behind the specialized boxes.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far Mark GT4 is only on PS2. If you buy a new slimline PS2 they can operate HD (or so I am told), and so can GT4. You can play with the normal controller that is supplied with the PS2 no problem, but Logitec makes a steering wheel for it that is to die for. Check the GT4 thread in the OT section for more info on what I think of the wheel.
The wheel does a pretty good job, but it is akin to a Level 5 Frasca sim compared to a real airplane. Close, fun, but the control feel just isnt quite right, but good enough for government work. I still highly recomend it. 900 degrees of rotation is great too for drifting.
I cant think of anything out on computer that is like GT4. Maybe someone else can chime in with more info.

·
Registered
434 Posts
BmwNut said:
So far Mark GT4 is only on PS2. If you buy a new slimline PS2 they can operate HD (or so I am told), and so can GT4. You can play with the normal controller that is supplied with the PS2 no problem, but Logitec makes a steering wheel for it that is to die for. Check the GT4 thread in the OT section for more info on what I think of the wheel.
The wheel does a pretty good job, but it is akin to a Level 5 Frasca sim compared to a real airplane. Close, fun, but the control feel just isnt quite right, but good enough for government work. I still highly recomend it. 900 degrees of rotation is great too for drifting.
I cant think of anything out on computer that is like GT4. Maybe someone else can chime in with more info.
Thanks..

i think I'll be buying my e60 m5 this week. The digital version!:cheers:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
BmwNut said:
So far Mark GT4 is only on PS2. If you buy a new slimline PS2 they can operate HD (or so I am told), and so can GT4.
True HD or progressive scan? Last I checked it was progressive scan.

Of course, my PS2 is on the fritz.. why can't they make one that lasts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got both E60 M5 and E46 M3 CSL in my GT4 garage. Both tuned up to the max, where as I remember the M5 is something like 700+ BHP and the CSL is 499 BHP. Although the E60 M5 is way faster in the straight but the CSL is way better and faster around tracks.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vndkshn said:
True HD or progressive scan? Last I checked it was progressive scan.

Of course, my PS2 is on the fritz.. why can't they make one that lasts?
I'm really not sure Dan. I feel you on the PS2 reliability issue, as I am on my second one...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Lastly, is GT4 only a PS2 game? Is there anything like it using just your PC or is PC gaming far behind the specialized boxes.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Wait for the launch of Xbox 2. It will be a killer!

Ekan

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Isn't the developers of GT4 partly owned by Sony? In anycase the success fo the Gran Turismo series is something Sony wants to keep to the Playstation, since it keeps sales up on the units.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I am pretty sure you are deadon Gustav. Notice none of the other GTs have been ported to work on XBOX or PC. They know that the GT series is hugely popular, and people like me are loyal to PS largely because of the GT series.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Sadly neither our e39 m5 or r turbo are in the game, but...

ll be meeting the creator(Kazunori Yamauchi) in 2 weeks, and ask him why the selection of ruf cars are so poor,(only two new ones since gt3, the others are all the same)

all the best
adam
:edit: Gustav i just edited your post instead of quoting it, really sorry ouich

·
Registered
434 Posts
BmwNut said:
I dont have any more of the M5 (more may come today), but here is my selection of pics so far. That RS4 is a blast to drive, even bone stock. Slideshow
OK I'm sold. Ordered the logitech today at bestbuy.ca and will pick up the game and PS2 on Monday....

I've been bitten!:flag:

·
Registered
301 Posts
I still have to wait 12 more days until it's released here in Australia... :(

I got the M5 in Prologue tho, so i've had a steer of that already... What I'm dying to drive is the CSL.... can't wait...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi!

Uploaded a GT4 movie to our FTP server, it's in /Videos/E60/arwin_m5_ny_wmvlow.wmv

Starring a M5 that blows away the competition right at the beginning and then takes you through NYC's gorgeous streets and skylines... enjoy :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts