BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an E60 M5. It has the section 3 Meisterchaft. Can anybody tell me what section 3 is? I've heard of sections 1 and 2 but never of 3. I definitely want my car louder already. Too civil for my taste. Does anybody know what i can do to make it louder without spending $3,000 for an exhaust. Sooner or later i'll get one, but at the moment i'm not ready to pay that price.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just picked up an E60 M5. It has the section 3 Meisterchaft. Can anybody tell me what section 3 is? I've heard of sections 1 and 2 but never of 3. I definitely want my car louder already. Too civil for my taste. Does anybody know what i can do to make it louder without spending $3,000 for an exhaust. Sooner or later i'll get one, but at the moment i'm not ready to pay that price.
This might help you out: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/ex...ion-1-supersprint-x-pipe-bmc-air-filters.html

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Section 3 is your mufflers. Section 2 is your renoators and section 1 is your secondary cats.

If you want to make it louder, get the secondary cats replaced with straight pipes at any good exhaust shop. :cheers:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Section 3 is your mufflers. Section 2 is your renoators and section 1 is your secondary cats.

If you want to make it louder, get the secondary cats replaced with straight pipes at any good exhaust shop. :cheers:
I meant to ask the secondary cats question to you. Do you know if replacing them will throw off codes/etc?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Do you by chance know that if i replace the secondary cats, will it throw off codes and turn on check lights?
The secondary cats are not monitored (e.g., no sensors, etc.) unlike the primary cats.

Removing them will NOT throw any codes. I recently had them removed on my car; no issues.

Reactions: HiFivinMofo

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The secondary cats are not monitored (e.g., no sensors, etc.) unlike the primary cats.

Removing them will NOT throw any codes. I recently had them removed on my car; no issues.
Thanks for the info! I'm taking my car to the shop today to see about removing the mufflers. What did you replace your secondary cats with? If you say no codes will be thrown then i might as well delete the mufflers and secondary cats all at once! How can i tell which ones are the primary vs secondary cats? I ask because i doubt most shops around my area have worked on M5's and i don't want them messing it up. Sorry for all the questions, i just picked this car up and haven't even put it on a lift to look under it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I could not reply earlier. Docs is absolutely correct. No fault codes.

Did you get it done yet?
I put the car up on a lift. Looks like i do have the Meisterchaft section 3 catback/axleback?? I'm still a little confused because i can't seem to find a place to buy a Meisterchaft section 3. And my exhaust is too quiet. The shop didn't want to remove my cats, so i'm going to another that will do it sometime soon. Are the secondary cats the ones right after where the catback ends?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I put the car up on a lift. Looks like i do have the Meisterchaft section 3 catback/axleback?? I'm still a little confused because i can't seem to find a place to buy a Meisterchaft section 3. And my exhaust is too quiet. The shop didn't want to remove my cats, so i'm going to another that will do it sometime soon. Are the secondary cats the ones right after where the catback ends?
Take a look at my thread:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...iscussion/362026-removing-secondary-cats.html

I just had my secondary cats removed; whatever you do, leave the resonator on!

The muffler shop will have to replace the secondary cats with straight pipes and weld them in place. I had a difficult time trying to negotiate with my muffler guy on removing the cats; just tell him they are resonators!

Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...iscussion/362026-removing-secondary-cats.html

The muffler shop will have to replace the secondary cats with straight pipes and weld them in place. I had a difficult time trying to negotiate with my muffler guy on removing the cats; just tell him they are resonators!

Good luck!
I appreciate all of your help with this. From looking at your thread and comparing, i don't think my car even has the Resonator on there. I'm going to try another shop that will actually remove the secondary cats for me. Ill post up pics/video once i get everything done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Good luck!
Hey man, im getting my secondary cats removed tomorrow. I just remember you mentioning to NOT remove the resonator. Is there a reason you told me not to? I like it loud, so i wouldnt mind if its too loud.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hey man, im getting my secondary cats removed tomorrow. I just remember you mentioning to NOT remove the resonator. Is there a reason you told me not to? I like it loud, so i wouldnt mind if its too loud.
Removing the resonators and secondary cats will be loud. Depending on the person you might feel some trq. Loss low end with both out.

Here's mine with Eisenmann race with secondary cats and resonators out.

Bmw E60 m5 Eisenmann Race Tunnel Run - YouTube

Reactions: Killer-Bimmer

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you still have OEM mufflers (or an aftermarket section 3), then I'd say up to you whether or not to remove the resonator.

If you have the muffler delete, then leave the resonator on; trust me! It'll be WAY TOO LOUD!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Removing the resonators and secondary cats will be loud. Depending on the person you might feel some trq. Loss low end with both out.

Here's mine with Eisenmann race with secondary cats and resonators out.

Bmw E60 m5 Eisenmann Race Tunnel Run - YouTube
I've seen your video multiple times. It's not fair though, you have an Eisenmann exhaust!! Haha. Love the sound!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you still have OEM mufflers (or an aftermarket section 3), then I'd say up to you whether or not to remove the resonator.

If you have the muffler delete, then leave the resonator on; trust me! It'll be WAY TOO LOUD!
I have Meisterchaft section 3. I'm not doing a muffler delete since i don't want to mess with the Meisterchaft on there already. One more question and i swear i'll leave you alone haha. Removing the resonator won't throw any codes either right?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have Meisterchaft section 3. I'm not doing a muffler delete since i don't want to mess with the Meisterchaft on there already. One more question and i swear i'll leave you alone haha. Removing the resonator won't throw any codes either right?
Correct; removing the resonator (and/or the secondary cats) will NOT throw any codes.

They are unmonitored (e.g., no sensors, etc.).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts