BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the exhaust issue has been brought up a thousand times, but I would like to share what I have found, as well as ask for some input. I agree that the collaboration of information from several members would be helpful, and a "sticky" for this item would help many others as well. Part of the problem is that the "tone" is very subjective, and not everyone is looking for the same thing. However, sound level or volume might be a little easier to describe on a scale. Oddly enough, the most helpful post I found through hours of searching was post #21 by the rep from Meistershaft, using a scale from 1-20, except that I cannot relate to "20", because the E-Race I had, and rated as "10", was way too loud.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97063

I now have the E-Sport. As others have stated, it is nice, but MUCH quieter than the race, and in my opinion, not much louder than stock.
Based on the scale started by Meistershaft, I would make the following minor changes:
Scale Index: (1-20) - 20 being the loudest.

1. OE- Stock: 3 /20
2. Eisen - Sport: 5 /20 (Rear unit alone - section 3) I would change this to 4/20
3. Meist Touring (New version): 7.5 /20 (Rear unit alone - section 3)
4. Eisen - Racing: 10 /20 (Rear unit alone - section 3)
5. Meist GT (Existing version): 12.5 /20 (Rear unit alone - section 3)

With Section 1: +3 point (Secondary Cat removal section )
With Section 2: +2 point (Middle resonator removal with True X flow pipe section)

6. Kreissieg F-1: 18.5 / 20 (In F-1 Open mode) : 4 /20 (In Closed Mode)
(Note) Kreisseig F-1 already has Section 1 and 2 included in the system.

Meist GT + 1 + 2: sound scale: 17.5/20 : very compatible with Kreissieg F-1 sound
but a little deeper tone compared to F-1 high pitch sound.

Can anyone that has heard the E-Race and E-Sport give some input on how the Dinan would rate on this scale?

Can anyone that has added an Xpipe (sec 2) and/or Section 1 at a later date than the mufflers (sec 3) confirm the increase in sound volume indicated above?

Please feel free to add info for additional brands, Evosport, ASR II, RPI, SS, etc as long as you are familiar enough with the others above to compare on this scale.

I feel like Goldilocks trying to find the exhaust that is "just right". I am starting a collection of exhausts, and may purchase a third (fourth if you count stock) if I can get some info on the Dinan.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
968 Posts
6. Kreissieg F-1: 18.5 / 20 (In F-1 Open mode) : 4 /20 (In Closed Mode)
I have heard Kreissieg in closed mode isn't much more quiet then open mode. I remember hearing open mode only bypasses resonators/cats...

·
Registered
312 Posts
I haven't heard any but mine in person. I just listend to M5 Rangers ASR on another post. The Autowerke I've been told sounds like F1 and I have cat back, X pipe etc... It is great in 7th on parkway I can use my phone listen to radio with no extra effort from stock. Windows open through a tunnel is the best. Start up great down shift sounds great love the popping. Still feels like a big V8 talking not a Tokyo drift crying.

The best is my gas mileage increased with the K&N CAI but when I added exhaust I gained a combined 4.5 miles per. I don't think you can make a mistake with the Autowerke. :cheers:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your thread was exactly what I had intended to do. However, I didn't have anything to measure the db. Where did you get the device to measure?
I would imaging Radio Shack would carry it, but didn't have time to check. The E-race was so loud at cold start, I swapped it out at the first chance I had.
I had found your thread about a month ago, but couldn't find it while putting the one together today. It would save someone hours of research to have this info in one place.
By far the biggest problem I had was cold start, and others always mention this. It would be nice to add this db level to the other two numbers you have.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts