BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, this thread is NOT intended to debate MT vs SMG. I'm simply doing some homework concerning a contemplated project.

So, to you folks out there who have info, I'd like to know the following, based on actual knowledge and/or facts (NOT rumor/supposition/opinion/speculation):

1) What 6-speed tranny does BMW use for your cars?? Is it unique to the V10, or from another model?? If from another model, which model and is it changed/modified (what??) by BMW for V10 application??

2) Clutch/flywheel - same question as above. Bespoke for V10 or from another model??

I'll appreciate any factual info you can share. Thankyou.:)

·
Registered
292 Posts
The gearbox is the same type GS6-53BZ as i.e. in 545i E60 but with different bellhousing and clutch shaft. So if you want to fit mechanical gearbox to S85 engine you need to use M5 gearbox.
The cluch fork lever, ball pin and spring clip are the same as in 545i but the whole cluch (bearing, disc and cover) is specific to M5.
Jan

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I thought it used the same parts as the e39 M5?? I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
421 Posts
When one asks the type of question concerns part swapping I always wonder what kind of project he has in mind.
You mind letting us know what kind of project this is going to be?

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
The E60M5 and E63 M6 transmission is GS6-53DZ - THGR
The 335i transmission is GS6-53DZ - TJGD

I am not sure what the suffix means....but the 335i transmission is the same.

What do you ask?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I thought it used the same parts as the e39 M5?? I guess I was wrong.
Yes, but the bellhousing and clutch is different.
The E60M5 and E63 M6 transmission is GS6-53DZ - THGR
The 335i transmission is GS6-53DZ - TJGD
I am not sure what the suffix means....but the 335i transmission is the same.
The same story. Different belhousing and clutch. The gearbox itself got different ratios.
Jan

·
Registered
431 Posts
I know this is a very old thread but I was wondering if any one could help.

It seems very hard to find a used 6spM for the e60 M5. there are a ton of SMG's on ebay. Instead of buying a brand new trans from BMW would it be possible to buy say a SMG, 335 or 545 manual trans and swap the internals since they appear to be the same? This seems like it would be cheaper. I don't see why these trans cant be rebuilt. My third gear syncro is going bad and I'd like to find the cheapest way to fix it.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I know this is a very old thread but I was wondering if any one could help.

It seems very hard to find a used 6spM for the e60 M5. there are a ton of SMG's on ebay. Instead of buying a brand new trans from BMW would it be possible to buy say a SMG, 335 or 545 manual trans and swap the internals since they appear to be the same? This seems like it would be cheaper. I don't see why these trans cant be rebuilt. My third gear syncro is going bad and I'd like to find the cheapest way to fix it.
SMG is completely different and I doubt the parts are going to be interchangeable. Because the SMG is computer controlled BMW did not put the shifter gates in sequential order (first gear is left up, second is left down, third middle up, fourth middle down, etc). They are something else because BMW designed it so the first two gears were near the strongest part of the transmission.

Regarding the other transmissions, I generally would not see why you couldn't rebuild them with the other parts, since the other members have posted that they were just different bell housings on the same tranny - but I would make sure with the ratios. You might run into the issue where the other gear ratios are different. But since you are only interested in the synchros, I would think those are the same...but that is only my guess. I would get another member's confirmation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts