BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

E60 M5 debut at a North America trade Show

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Gustav 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Does anyone know where the M5 will debut in the North America show circuit?

#3 ·
The M5 make's it's debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this week. I'm going to make a bee-line to the BMW stand tomorrow during the annual charity preview party to see the new beast for myself! :flag: Other notable introductions by BMW at this year's NAIAS are the new higher powered 525i and 530i sedans, the world introduction of their x-drive counterparts the 525ix and 530ix and the new 5 series touring and its ix counterparts! The new record breaking hydrogen powered car should be there as well! :M5rev: I will be in car heaven tomorrow. :happybirt I can't wait to see the new M5 in the flesh. I'll have to give some impressions after the party tomorrow night!

H.

#4 ·
hbmf3 said:
The M5 make's it's debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this week. I'm going to make a bee-line to the BMW stand tomorrow during the annual charity preview party to see the new beast for myself! :flag: Other notable introductions by BMW at this year's NAIAS are the new higher powered 525i and 530i sedans, the world introduction of their x-drive counterparts the 525ix and 530ix and the new 5 series touring and its ix counterparts! The new record breaking hydrogen powered car should be there as well! :M5rev: I will be in car heaven tomorrow. :happybirt I can't wait to see the new M5 in the flesh. I'll have to give some impressions after the party tomorrow night!

H.
Thanks, I'll look for it at the NY Auto Show.

#5 ·
crmcinco said:
Does anyone know where the M5 will debut in the North America show circuit?
its at Detroit now, and will be in NY in April, cant wait ! :noSMG:

#6 ·
Cobo centre (NAIAS) is less than 12 miles from my office and the earliest I can get there is next wednesday. The E60 M5 is so close and yet so far. ;)

#10 ·
i was at the show on thursday...the interlagos blue one looked amazing. the reps there have no idea. when you ask them a question, they refer to the posted literature next to the car. the one lady thought the silver/grey car was a manual...obviously not the case.

#11 ·
Has anybody actually been to Detroit and seen the car? Post some pics.

On the show web site the five series doesn't even mention the M5.

#14 ·
Many of the people that staff these auto shows are clueless and are only qualified to wave and hand out brochures. In some shows, sales people from local dealers also rotate to answer questions, but as you know, we generally have more information!!!

MJ
'03 black/black

#15 ·
Courtesy of the good folks at Mwerks who have posted their photos of the M5 at the NAIAS at www.mwerks.com.

Best regards,

Attachments

#17 ·
Gustav said:
Yup, looks Euro-spec.
i am back from NAIAS. i was there for the first 2 days since the show started.

i read it somewhere not too long ago from a top BMW executive (can't recall who it was exactly), he said BMW will debut the US-spec M5 in Detroit Auto Show. however, there were only 2 Euro-Spec M5 in BMW's stand, but no US-spec. this leaves me to believe the conversion work from Euro-spec to US-spec might not be completed at this point.

and the BMW representative at ths stand totally have no clue about the detail of the M5 to say the least. they were unable to answer any of my question, let it be the options, colours, or price and allocation.

i also asked them about the conventional manual transmission, and told them the infamous M5 page that mysteriously disappear from BMWUSA.com. unfortunately all the answer i could get was: "if it's on our web site, then it's what it will be".

i pretty much asked most of the representative, and all their answer were pretty much the same. i am very disappoint about the knowledge of those BMW representative in an International Auto Show to say the least.

i noticed 2 different' things about the M5, i think we discussed preveriously but never got a clear answer.

there's no key hole on the trunk. and i wonder how can one open anything in their car if the car's battery is dead.

and although all 3 openings on the front bumper are directed to the engine. i noticed in the 2 side vents, there's small tunnel directing air to cool off the brake. although the effectiveness is doubtful considering the size of the opening.

also, i did a little comparisn of the size of the rear brake caliper. and it is hardly any bigger than the parking brake caliper on a Ferrari....and it's ugly too. grrrrrrr

#18 ·
tifosi said:

. i am very disappoint about the knowledge of those BMW representative in an International Auto Show to say the least.
grrrrrrr
Don't go there for info. Go to shows to see cars, and that's it! I went to a local show 4 months ago and saw a 645Ci convertible in Mineral Silver. Asked if that was the colour, the dumb blond had to take a card out with coloured symbols and after a few nervous looks at the card, nodded and said "Yes". It's a show and the lights are always on, but "nobody is really there"!

#19 ·
I just returned from the Show in Detroit, and I'm afraid I agree with everyone who says the people staffing the BMW display are absolutely clueless. Nice, and good looking, but totally clueless. One woman told me they will have a 7 speed manual along with the SMG. I told her I didn't believe her, and we spoke to the senior person there and he basically said they have no idea whatsoever.

I wouldn't be too hard on the people though. BMW has not supplied them with any information whatsoever. They couldn't even tell me what trim level the cars were equipped with because BMW doesn't know what they're offering in the US yet.

Release date is being quoted as 'hopefully late this year'. I'll bet no one knows for sure.

I agree also the Avus Blue looks stunning. Really spectacular. It's not too subtle though - I'll stick with my Jet Black.

I didn't really see the point of the extended leather. It was almost unnoticable and extended into the door jambs where dirt and grease were accumulating on it. I probably won't get it.

I'll post some pics when I get them downloaded.

#20 · (Edited)
on a side note. most representative i asked said the car will be available in the fall of this year.

however, a lady there told me their dealer will be getting a demo (not for sell) in April. i am not sure how creditable is that, take it for what it is worth.
:)

anyway, the next International auto show in North America should be the Toronto Auto Show next month. and i am trying to get the press pass. hopefully they'll have US-spec M5 or at least some more info. hopefully BMW of Canada will at least get few of their more knowledageable staff there in their booth during the press day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.