BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a friend drive my car while my license was suspended and he ended up crashing into a pole was looking for some insight as per what this crack could be? Maybe the subframe or block? The crack is under the front passenger wheel well.

on a related note, if the engine and transmission are still good health after the crash is it worth it to sell as a salvage title or could parting out and selling from there possibly be more worth it?

love to hear some insight and thought, thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Howwwww sideways did he go and with how much speed to have hit the wing at that angle and managed to crack the sub frame....just wow. I feel for you man, that really sucks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That cracked piece is the subframe. Regardless, I think that's the least of your worries. The whole front frame on these cars is aluminum and looking at the severity of the impact I'd say for certain there is frame damage :(

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Crack is the subframe. Looks like the car is toast, front end is aluminum and doesn't look good.

Reactions: psd707

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
To repair this car properly would cost more than it is worth. Perhaps way more. So, I think you don't have much of a choice, really.

·
Registered
472 Posts
well if you're stuck at home with suspended license, why don't you just buy the suspension arms (few hundred on ebay for everything i see damaged), and see if the car drives straight. if it does, weld up the subframe crack and change out the fenders, hood, bumper, skirt, fender liner, tray, etc. with amount of junked s85 due to spun bearing, i can't imagine exterior stuff being too expensive. if it doesn't drive straight though, yea, i'm afraid it's salvage time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well if you're stuck at home with suspended license, why don't you just buy the suspension arms (few hundred on ebay for everything i see damaged), and see if the car drives straight. if it does, weld up the subframe crack and change out the fenders, hood, bumper, skirt, fender liner, tray, etc. with amount of junked s85 due to spun bearing, i can't imagine exterior stuff being too expensive. if it doesn't drive straight though, yea, i'm afraid it's salvage time
How much is it going to cost me roughly to get it to the point of knowing if it can be repaired or not, I think it may need a new strut aswell and I cannot open the hood at the moment

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think the front main frame is aluminum so side impact may curve it. It is worth to take to a professional for a second thought and to at least drop the subframe and do some measurements to confirm the chassis is still straight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts