BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

While troubleshooting a high rpm on idle I noticed that my coolant stays around 78/80 C (172-176 F) while driving and doesnt go above 85C (185F) at idle.
What is the normal coolant temp? Is time for a new thermostat?

Thanks

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi all

While troubleshooting a high rpm on idle I noticed that my coolant stays around 78/80 C (172-176 F) while driving and doesnt go above 85C (185F) at idle.
What is the normal coolant temp? Is time for a new thermostat?

Thanks

78-80C is normal operating temp when driving. My car idle temp stays also in 83-85C area. Once i've seen 88C when idling and it was over +30C outside.

My thermostat was replaced last year because driving temps were 75C and got thermostat error code.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
78-80C s normal operating temp when driving. My car idle temp stays also in 83-85C area. Once i've seen 88C when idling and it was over +30C outside.
Thanks alot... I also have a post cat oxygen on bank1..I will change it soon to see if it cures the highish rpm on idle

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I remember high rpm being due to cat adaptations. Reset the cat adaptations and see if that fixes the issue. IF so chances are the cats are dying.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember high rpm being due to cat adaptations. Reset the cat adaptations and see if that fixes the issue. IF so chances are the cats are dying.
Oh..so the post cat oxygen code might be because the cat doesn't do its job properly. Is there any way to test the cats prior to changing them. Could be the O2 sensor faulty?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
No idea what code you have and if I did I wouldn't know what to do anyway other than follow the ista test plan. I do think the dme is smart enough to know a cat issue from an o2 sensor issue.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You were right.. resetting cat adaptation takes the idle rpm where it should be....I been having a post cat O2 code for a while ...I've replaced it today and the code seems to be gone....I ll see whether or not the high rpm comes back. Before clearing up the O2 code I had to reset the cats adaptation few times as within 100 miles high rpm would resurface...the value of cats adaptation while having high rpm was 0.42 on both banks..

·
Registered
543 Posts
78-80C is normal operating temp when driving. My car idle temp stays also in 83-85C area. Once i've seen 88C when idling and it was over +30C outside.
Optimum temp is when the needle hit 210 Fahrenheit, otherwise lower than this will promote carbon build-up. Mine was running lower before the thermostat was replaced. I then pour down Chevron Techron twice tankful, and let the dealer perform Induction Cleaning https://www.m5board.com/threads/fuel-injection-induction-cleaning.214439/

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Weird I posted the same as you on m6 side of the forum good to see its normal - it’s runs cold compared to the m62 in the Range Rover running over 100c! Probably keep things better condition. I never see my oil temp swing over half like that is that normal? It’s mainly between a quarter and half

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
andresousa1791
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing