BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to upgrade the front brakes with brakes from e60, wondering if someone tried before, are the calipers bold on fit?
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check the BBK from Angry *** Solutions; just bought them a couple weeks back. Haven't put them on yet but I've heard good things. Brakes and calipers from the F30 3 Series.

Some more discussion in this thread:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the BBK from Angry *** Solutions; just bought them a couple weeks back. Haven't put them on yet but I've heard good things. Brakes and calipers from the F30 3 Series.

Some more discussion in this thread:
Thanks. that is really great option at a budget. But for the rear?

·
Registered
614 Posts
OP, I replied to you via email, but thought I would reply publicly as well.

We will not be building an adaptor for the rear two piston setups featured on the F80, or F30 with M Sport brakes. There is not a simple or sufficiently elegant way to adapt those rear components, particularly under the budget of a custom four piston rear setup.

Our planned rear upgrade to optionally accompany the Street Front upgrade, and to pair with our 355mm/6 piston AP RadiCal Race upgrade, is an E46 M3-based sliding caliper kit. This kit will feature one piece (optional two piece) 328x20mm rotors, matching the late E34 M5 rear rotor, and E46 M3 rear caliper, which has a larger piston than even the late E34 M5 rear sliding caliper.

Functionally and economically, this rear upgrade will outstrip any alternative and offer unbeatable availability and plug-and-play usability with important street features like the stock handbrake.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP, I replied to you via email, but thought I would reply publicly as well.

We will not be building an adaptor for the rear two piston setups featured on the F80, or F30 with M Sport brakes. There is not a simple or sufficiently elegant way to adapt those rear components, particularly under the budget of a custom four piston rear setup.

Our planned rear upgrade to optionally accompany the Street Front upgrade, and to pair with our 355mm/6 piston AP RadiCal Race upgrade, is an E46 M3-based sliding caliper kit. This kit will feature one piece (optional two piece) 328x20mm rotors, matching the late E34 M5 rear rotor, and E46 M3 rear caliper, which has a larger piston than even the late E34 M5 rear sliding caliper.

Functionally and economically, this rear upgrade will outstrip any alternative and offer unbeatable availability and plug-and-play usability with important street features like the stock handbrake.
so the rear e46 m3 caliper will bot on?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We haven't had time to test this yet! I thought you had moved onto larger options because the 328mm rotor was not large enough for you?
right, i want bigger rotors but for e46 are more options aftermarket brakes, up to 345mm rotors from stoptech, or e60 up to 355mm rotors

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awesome!! Love it!!
Please provide more specifics on the donor E-series and work to install the bigger rear rotor upgrade.
Are these rears 345x24mm rear rotor and rear caliper from the E60 M5?
Caliper Carrier for the upgrade?
E-Brake shoe upgrade? E34 is 180mm the E60 is 185mm
Rotor Dust shield replacement?
Rear rotors 370mm if m5e60

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome!! Love it!!
Please provide more specifics on the donor E-series and work to install the bigger rear rotor upgrade.
Are these rears 345x24mm rear rotor and rear caliper from the E60 M5?
Caliper Carrier for the upgrade?
E-Brake shoe upgrade? E34 is 180mm the E60 is 185mm
Rotor Dust shield replacement?
rotors are from m5, 370x24 and caliper but carrier from 550i because it's smaller.
Ebrake works with stock shims, just adjusted to grab the rotor
dust shield trimmed and done.

·
Registered
614 Posts
After further review, I'm curious what your goal(s) are in swapping to this setup. The only advantage I see is the larger rotors, for which you are paying a hefty unsprung (and rotational) mass penalty in the name of some extra thermal capacity you will not need.

The front setup alone is 47lbs per corner, compared to about 35lbs a corner stock. If the goal is mainly looks, fine, but then why not go for a multi-piston Brembo or the like?

Do not get me wrong, I enjoy and support any experimentation on this chassis, but I am curious to see a response about the weight.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After further review, I'm curious what your goal(s) are in swapping to this setup. The only advantage I see is the larger rotors, for which you are paying a hefty unsprung (and rotational) mass penalty in the name of some extra thermal capacity you will not need.

The front setup alone is 47lbs per corner, compared to about 35lbs a corner stock. If the goal is mainly looks, fine, but then why not go for a multi-piston Brembo or the like?

Do not get me wrong, I enjoy and support any experimentation on this chassis, but I am curious to see a response about the weight.
Actually main reason is look and keep it close to stock, mean still using bmw parts than second still a lot better brackes and keeping the system working properly with about same amount of caliper pistons. Yes it’s a little heavier than e34 brakes and little more expensive, but not much compared to brembo 6 pistons or AP Racing, and even they don’t have such a big rotor and the multi pistons calipers are a lot heavier than this setup, and not the last point is unique, not many people does that. It’s easy to spend 5k and put some brembo’s.

·
Registered
492 Posts
rotors are from m5, 370x24 and caliper but carrier from 550i because it's smaller.
Ebrake works with stock shims, just adjusted to grab the rotor
dust shield trimmed and done.
Trying to work out the details for this upgrade for my M5.
I have a set of rear calipers/carriers from an E60-550i and a set of rear calipers from the M5 (328x200mm rotors) and I don't see how the carrier from the E60 will fit on the M5 swing arm caliper mounting without drilling the caliper mount holes for a 12mm bolt and machining 10mm off E60 caliper carrier mounting surface.
Not sure I feel comfortable drilling the swing arm and machining on a caliper carrier to make them fit!!
The E60-46/24 caliper and pads are massive compared to even the Euro M5 calipers that fit the 328x20mm rotor

The E34-M5 caliper carrier mounting surface to center line of the 20 mm rotor is 28.5 mm
The E60-550i caliper carrier (582 on carrier casting) mounting surface to center line of the 24 mm rotor is 38-39 mm (this number should be 30.5mm).
Given both the M5-20mm and E60-24mm rotors both have a 61-63mm rotor height I anticipate at least a +8 mm interference fit.
Also the carrier mounting threads for the E34 carrier are 10mm and the E60 carrier mount threads are 12mm.
So this will not be a bolt on upgrade unless there is something I have over looked?
grebencea, can you shed some light on the actual parts and modification made to those parts to make the E60 rear brake upgrade work for your M5.
Thanks,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trying to work out the details for this upgrade for my M5.
I have a set of rear calipers/carriers from an E60-550i and a set of rear calipers from the M5 (328x200mm rotors) and I don't see how the carrier from the E60 will fit on the M5 swing arm caliper mounting without drilling the caliper mount holes for a 12mm bolt and machining 10mm off E60 caliper carrier mounting surface.
Not sure I feel comfortable drilling the swing arm and machining on a caliper carrier to make them fit!!
The E60-46/24 caliper and pads are massive compared to even the Euro M5 calipers that fit the 328x20mm rotor

The E34-M5 caliper carrier mounting surface to center line of the 20 mm rotor is 28.5 mm
The E60-550i caliper carrier (582 on carrier casting) mounting surface to center line of the 24 mm rotor is 38-39 mm (this number should be 30.5mm).
Given both the M5-20mm and E60-24mm rotors both have a 61-63mm rotor height I anticipate at least a +8 mm interference fit.
Also the carrier mounting threads for the E34 carrier are 10mm and the E60 carrier mount threads are 12mm.
So this will not be a bolt on upgrade unless there is something I have over looked?
grebencea, can you shed some light on the actual parts and modification made to those parts to make the E60 rear brake upgrade work for your M5.
Thanks,
It took me few months to figure out and make it work, so you have to use 550e60 caliper because carrier is smaller than m5e60, I installed carrier from 550 and caliper from m5, see the pictures in the process of installing with temporary bolts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts