BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I just did a search and did not find a thread which explain this

now, I would like to upgrade my brakes on my E39 M5. I heard it was possible to modify the E60 m5 brakes and mount them on the E39. Can somone please let me know how it is done and what I need?

thank you

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Reactions: GottaGoM

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
the exact steps:

- fabricate brackets that adapt the E60 caliper to the E39 knuckle.

- bore rotor center to 74.1mm

- install rotors/calipers

- bleed brakes

Basically, if you're asking, it's going to cost you more to have all the parts custom fabricated than it would to just buy an off-the-shelf BBK.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to bore out the center in the rotor is not a big deal, but who can fabricate the brackets? does anyone sell them?

the exact steps:

- bleed brakes

Basically, if you're asking, it's going to cost you more to have all the parts custom fabricated than it would to just buy an off-the-shelf BBK.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
any machine shop that can bore the center of the rotors, should be able to make your adapter brackets. You'll just need exact measurements of the rotor offset and it's relation to the OEM mating surface for the caliper, then you'll need to do the arithmetic to calculate where to drill the E60 caliper bolt holes in relation to the OEM E39 bolt holes (on the adapter bracket).

Reactions: GottaGoM

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
the exact steps:

- bleed brakes

Couldnt have said it better myself. AND you'd still need 19" wheels for them to fit as the calipers are just that bulky.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I saw someone who had mounted 18 inch rims Mpar. hence my question.
Those will fit over stock E39 brakes and Brembo BBK's. The E60 disc/caliper wont clear 18" wheels so far as I know. Hence the E60 coming with 19" wheels from factory. It'd be cheaper to just get a set of used brembos and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Actually, there are some oem 18" winter wheel sets for the E60 M5, and they do fit over the brakes. Just a warning, the E60 M5 brakes, although extremely potent and powerful, they are very, very heavy. Plus I'm almost certain that the master cylinder must be brought over too. So combine the added weight, not so pretty and limited selection of 18" wheels, plus cost of fabrication. Definitely cheaper and lighter to buy an off the shelf BBK.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thank you for your response man. I was actually just wondering if the brakes fit with 18 wheels. I do not mean if I can get a cheap set of why to mount. just what I find very difficult to make or get the adapter. so does anyone know where to make an adapter??

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I'm still wondering if its would be worth it even from a performance point of view. I mean the E39 brakes are good enough in terms of effort, some are just unhappy with repeated use on track causing fade. I'd say that even with the marginally larger disc, the fact the calipers are still large single piston type whether or not they would offer that much of an improvement during repeated use?

Seems like an awful lot of effort when if you are making adapters one would think the performance kit by BMW would be a better choice.

Also as said you will most likely be faffing with master cylinders for a proper job.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It's a futile project whose benefits are greatly overshadowed by the amount of custom work needed to make it work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts