BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - this is my first post in a while (if not my first post - can't even remember)

I had a CPO 2008 M3 convertible I bought as congrats-to-myself for my first job. Sadly 2 days after receiving the car I was driving in torrential downpour and my engine hydrolocked - insurance is paying me for it though and I'm guessing I have roughly 50k to spend on a replacement car give or take 5k (including tax and whatnot)

I was hoping you guys could guide me as to whether the E60 M5 would be a good choice, as I can not find any M3 convertibles with the mileage and condition I found at the price I bought it for (49k) - dealer price 57k reduced to 52k bargained to 49k. It has to be a manual transmission and, as I am moving to CA in 2 months, the car will no longer be at risk for the shltty weather that MA provides. I am very open to any ideas, although I'm quite fond of BMW's (had bmw's my whole life) and if not a BMW, a german car and RWD at that. I'm still open to any other ideas including AWD, however I like to have a happy-go-lucky tail and anything besides RWD tends to hinder that (obviously)

I've wanted an S54 M Coupe (in estoril blue but if i find one in another color hell i'll take it) but there are NONE for sale and the one I found in the exact spec I wished for, the guy isn't picking up his damn phone.

I really appreciate any and all input and, if by any chance, someone wants to sell me their (loved for and flawless) e93 M3 (convertible) for a college-graduate-friendly price, I'd be more than happy to check it out! (In NorCal near San Jose/San Fran/Fremont/Bay Area)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
M5 is a great car but it's very different from an M Coupe. I've owned both. The Coupe will be a lot more fun and it will save you a bundle on gas money. The M5 is for people who want an M-car but their family situation requires a 4 door sedan.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You'll be hard to find performance and overall total package better than E60 M.. You should have no problems finding 08 or better 6sp for under 50k.. 08 still under warranty for that price for sure.. 09 or up maybe not as easy for under 50k..

But you are going from M3 though which is smaller, less weight and more nimble to an M5 with different character (highway cruise missile..:haha: but heavier and not as nimble as M3).. in S54 M my back would not last a week.. nice car but not something i would want to drive on a daily basis..

E60M IMHO does it all.. carry family around town with ease, luxury/comfort and when alone, it's a monster.. but you are younger (i think you indicated just graduated).. You should drive the E60 M5 and make sure you like it.. esp 6sp since you want 6sp

Good luck with your search..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Hey guys (and gals)

Thanks so much for the input. I actually lucked WAY out and found a 32k mile 2001 m coupe in estoril blue with napa interior s54 engine excellent condition with stock everything BMW factory only serviced with all service records and always garaged waxed and washed every week one owner Sunday car (he has six cars). I bargained it down to 28k. He doesn't need the money and just wants someone who will take care of his baby. One owner and only freeway miles bought and kept in norcal its whole life. Guess it was meant to be as I stumbled upon his post and it turned out he is also Korean (as I am)

I'm down paying tomorrow!

The only last decision I have to make is whether I'm going to take this over another CPO m3 convertible, as I just found an 08 in met. gray for 48k just this weekend... Something tells me that I should go for the m coupe and enjoy my youth while it lasts before indulging myself in more heavy and luxurious modern sports cars... Besides the m coupe (ESP. 2001-2002) will be collectible IMO very soon and will be a good investment...

Thanks again for the help everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New factor!!!

So I just got funds from parents to support my car funds and now an option is a new 1M coupe... It's really between the m coupe and the 1m now... Sorry for the chaos haha but I didn't know my budget would get bumped up.

New thoughts? Inquiring at the dealer about the 1M today and bargained the m coupe to 28k yesterday.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I personally never liked the clown shoe look so I'd say go for the 1M or a used M3 again. I would lean towards an M3 but that might be because i'm getting old and like my cars to have some luxury to it. 1M interior is too spartan for my taste.... it is a $50k car afterall.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
A friend of mine inquired about the 1M

New factor!!!

So I just got funds from parents to support my car funds and now an option is a new 1M coupe... It's really between the m coupe and the 1m now... Sorry for the chaos haha but I didn't know my budget would get bumped up.

New thoughts? Inquiring at the dealer about the 1M today and bargained the m coupe to 28k yesterday.

Thanks again everyone!
Dealer said there's a huge backlog of orders way beyond the planned build numbers. Unless BMW decides to up production a lot of people won't get them.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think the M5 is a nice car for the price. If I didn't have kids and money was an object I'd have an NSX... with a supercharger.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went from an M5 to an M3 and it is immensely more fun. Do I miss the sound of the V10...sure but with an exhaust the M3's V8 is just as intoxicating, at leaste for me my neighbors not so much in the morning. One of my biggest concerns with the M3 was the lack of the back doors. My 7 year old son made that decision easy for me because he loved the M3. I was sold. I contacted my neighbor who is a GM at a local dealer here to find me an M3 and take my M5 off my hands. He was more than happy to oblige. I traded out about a month ago and haven't looked back. Put on a FabSpeed X Pipe and AP racing exhaust and it sounds SICK!. BTW if anyone is looking for a very well maintained low mile(52K) 06 M5 I know where you can get one at a very good price. Oh and in between the M5 and the M3 there was a short lived 2 day affair with a 911TT. Not a porsche guy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input - actually managed to snag an allocation for the 1M. Should be obnoxious fun :) getting either an akrapovic or eisenmann exhaust and starck hook and trunklid (both m3style design and all CF). Check it out. Google "clockwork orange BMW 1m" and it should be the first hit at 1addicts.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts