BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Stock F10 M5's are 120mph trap cars, they aren't the fastest things in the world in stock form. A modded E60 M5 should be able to hang or even beat a stock F10. Esp in hot conditions and back to back runs. But stock for stock the F10 in good conditions will walk a e60 no problem, as ive seen this first hand.

Ive done first hand IAT testing for ETS and there intercooler on my 335i, and turbo motors in hot weather on back to back hard runs in general, there is a huge difference once IAT rise, and boost starts to get cut.
Also this is shown by Evolve recent testing of the F10 M5 on multiple back to back duno runs losing 50WHP.
I know this for sure, catch a F10 M5 on a 100 degree day, on back to back runs, and that thing is gonna be a slug!

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
You are acting like E60 is not affected by the same 100 degree day. In very hot temps, E60 pulls timing too and you can tell you are losing HP. In my car after back to back highway pulls, the temp needle used to shoot right up to the sky and no doubt there is power loss. FI is more affected by heat but NA cars are affected too by heat maybe not to same degree.

Nice to be in echo chamber where everyone seems to think the result of racing simple bolt on E60 vs F10 will yield the same result as video by OP. Never mind the video is against even faster F10 PP (575hp). I posted the 2nd video to show what will most likely happen in real world because videos like the first one makes everyone happy but not what will most likely happen. Barring unknown conditions like incompetent driver and engine related issues i have no doubt the 2nd video under normal condition is indicative of actual result.

I love E60 M5 too but it's been around since 2005 and there are much faster cars now. F10 is also not the fastest car out there and it needs all that tq/hp to get going because it weighs so much but it is laughable when you hear excuses for e60 like bolt on is not "true 550hp" in 2nd video. The better sounding car is not in dispute though since modded E60 with aftermarket pipes sounds just incredible high rpms :blink:
Lol im not acting like nothing, NA motor is not nearly effected as much as a FI engine, which was my point and you re-stated.. My statement didnt imply the s85 doesnt heatsoak..
Have you any experence in logging or iat logging besides my needle was rising and i lost hp? I have logged the s85 iats, and another major factor besides the amount of less heatsoak compared to the FI motor, is the rate of recovery from heatsoak which is of course much faster on a NA motor.. So yes, not only is the s85 not heatsoaking nearly as much as the f10 m5 but also recovering faster from any heatsoak.
Like i said, a stock f10 is a 120mph trap car, alot of cars are walking the f10 in stock trim inclduing a properly modded m5/m6. (I.e. member kenL who just recently went 122mph in positive da)
I raced my cousins stock f10 m5 when i was bone stock, got walked nicely..

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Oh man.. you are letting your passion for E60 get in the way of objectivity. You really think a bolt on E60 is equal to F10 stock equal condition and F10 driven properly? IF you think that way then you are thinking the same way E39 guys think that somehow with heatsoak you have a chance or SMG in case of E39. Yes you can screw up SMG if you go manual shifts and you are an idiot. I am trying to be objective and on E60 side:7:.. please disregard everything i said. bolt on E60 will walk away from F10:blink:
You do know the F10 is a avg 120mph trap car right? And bolt on E60's are 120+mph trap cars. Add a lot of heat on the E60 has a nice advantage.
You make it sound like the F10 is a 130mph trap car out the box. Heck, the fastest F10 on dragtimes seems to be 124mph? Member KenL just ran a 122mph with headers/tune with positive DA, if Da was negative he would have had some killer traps.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
The issue is all bolt-on M5's arn't equal. In fact many bolt-on M5's
are barely quicker than stock as the combination of bolt-on's don't work
well together or don't make any power.

The last time I made a custom Section 3, I lost 30whp...!

Running a FBO M5 like a RPI Stage 2 vs a F10 may show a more even
match. Random exhausts with open come filters and random headers
don't cut it.
This is very true. Also have to consider how many guys are running around with bad spark plugs which are pulling crazy amount of timing. A lot of guys don't understand how important plugs on this car are for performance, and on a modded S85, how often they need changing. But I highly agree, not all mods are made the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.