BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

So I am at ~93K miles still on CPO and Service Plan for another 3 month. I had the car only for 2 month, absolutely nothing wrong with it and pretty much nothing ever went wrong before I bought it. I have 2008, manual 6 speed.

Dealer replaced left valve cove gasket, some sensor related to cooling system, and rear rotors and rear breaks just recently, pretty much nothing else.

At almost 100K, clutch still feels good, there are no issues at all, at least nothing that I could notice. Could you guys tell me what are the "common" issues for E60 I should be looking after?

I still have e39 M5 and can come up with a list of issues that absolutely every one of them has, but I am not familiar with E60 and based on the history of my car I am kind of amazed of the fact that nothing ever went wrong with it, it make me feel like I own Lexus. I know it is not a Lexus though, last time I looked at the badge it had some cryptic combination of symbols-> M5 hiha

On e39, window regulators had to be replaced every 50 (up/down), as well as control arm bushings, power steering hoses, fuel pump, throttle position sensors, rod bearings etc..

Is there a similar list of issues for E60 I should pay close attention to and see if I can have dealer fix it before I am out of warranty?

From "common" issues that I am familiar with, I have replaced control arm bushings (dealer doesn't cover them) and I know that I would have to replace rod bearings as well (will do after warranty expires), anything else? I would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The dealer won't do anything under the maintenance plan unless it shows due in their computer. If you've never been to the dealer, you can at least take your car in to have them run the key fob and discover any maintenance history and what might be coming due.

·
Company Representative for Becks Imports LLC
418 Posts
BMW very much frowns on their dealers 'finding' problems to submit for warranty reimbursement. They are supposed to repair things that a customer brings in with a complaint.

If you want to try and get a list together to do it that way, bring it to a good independent shop, pay THEM to find everything they can, and then take whatever seems reasonable to get done under warranty and make an appointment with your BMW dealer to take care of those specific complaints.

Bruce

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BMW very much frowns on their dealers 'finding' problems to submit for warranty reimbursement. They are supposed to repair things that a customer brings in with a complaint.
Bruce
I actually took it to dealer, they found nothing. I told them that it is BS, because from my prior experience and experience all of my friends, any time you take a car to dealer there are 100 of things that are wrong and need to be fixed, but seems like no issues exist when car is on the warranty.:cool2:

·
Registered
386 Posts
If not yet done, the rod bearings are going to need attention soon.
Not always required. Other things will fail before that. Odds are electrical gremlins will pop up before that. Just my personal opinion.

I say take care of brakes, battery, alternator and other routine maintenance things before you scare someone like the Porsche 996 with the IMS bearing fail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts