BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,434 Posts
Nice video, few comments:
Plastigauge should be used along the conrod beam axis, not at an angle.
You're supposed to always oil the bolts, even when using Plastigauge.
With Plastigauge you can't tell 0.0015 from 0.0018 or 0.002, etc. It's a sanity check sure, but nowhere accurate to claim clearance is 0.002.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With Plastigauge you can't tell 0.0015 from 0.0018 or 0.002, etc. It's a sanity check sure, but nowhere accurate to claim clearance is 0.002.
Thank you for the input 👍. all the engine builders I know do not use oil as it alters readings. And yes plastigage is a secondary unit of measuring but that’s a whole other debate haha, on my big block Chevy I used measuring tools to confirm like a dial bore gauge and dial indicator. But you are absolutely right, machine shops and engine builders never use plastigage on its own.

·
Registered
429 Posts
great job man. would be cool if you or someone can video the whole engine rebuild. this is a type of engine that i wouldn't mind just having on an engine stand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll be doing that to a certain degree on my channel with this one. I will video every major step until the engine is back in the car. I’m excited to get this going! And thanks for the feedback man, I’m new to this video making thing so I hope it’s not too horrible haha

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
423 Posts
thanks for the video!

how does one go about measuring .002 clearance?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You use a dial bore gauge to measure the journal on the crankshaft and then take that measurement and write it down then measure the ID of the rod with bearing (torqued down) vertically and at least 20 degrees from the bearing seam and then subtract the journal size from the rod size and you get the clearance. On this I just used plastigage as anything is better than factory clearance right haha. If it would of been .0015 I would of used measurement tools but being as everything was consistent at .002 I was really happy with those results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts