BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize people really only every post the bad experiences, mostly, but I am trying to decide on purchasing an E60 M5 with 93k miles on it...

Seems like the main issues are:

1. Rod bearings - $3K - $4K
2. SMG pump - $7K
3. Throttle valve Actuators - $700 each plus lots of labor.
4. SMG clutch and flywheel - $pound of flesh.

After hearing so much about the repairs and maintenance on the SMG transmission I've decided to get a Manual 2008 with the thought that Manual won't have the SMG pump issues.

I'm hoping that the Rod bearings will show up on a history printout, unless they were done somewhere else.

Would this greatly lower the worries I should expect over an SMG?

What else should I be cautious about before buying. I have requested a full history service report from the BMW dealership so what service/preventative maintenance should I be looking to have been performed already to make sure I get to 150k miles or more?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
1. Rod bearings, throttle actuators, VANOS solenoids - if any or all are done, that's very positive.
2. SMG pump - you usually only have to do the motor which is a $400 part.
3. Whether SMG or manual, you will ultimately have to replace the clutch and flywheels (and some other bits and pieces) which involves dropping the transmission.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2010 with 86k miles on it. I had the clutch replaced, only because I was able to get my extended warranty to cover it before the warranty expired, and that's it. It's been the most reliable car I've had, coming from a 535i and 325i prior.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
2007 6MT with 127,000+ miles.

Previous owner replaced the clutch at 18,000 miles. I have been on the same clutch for 109,000 miles as my track toy and daily driver.

I replaced my rod bearings at 84,000 miles as preventive maintenace.

Throttle actuators are original, VANOS solenoids are original.

All told, my ownership experience has been uneventful. Service records are essential, when it comes to buying these cars used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2007 6MT with 127,000+ miles.

Previous owner replaced the clutch at 18,000 miles. I have been on the same clutch for 109,000 miles as my track toy and daily driver.

I replaced my rod bearings at 84,000 miles as preventive maintenace.

Throttle actuators are original, VANOS solenoids are original.

All told, my ownership experience has been uneventful. Service records are essential, when it comes to buying these cars used.

I hope I get that much mileage out of my original actuators and solenoids, I'm at 59000 miles. Did the bearings and needed a new SMG hydraulic unit at 57000 miles.

I wish we could all have that sort of uneventful types of M5 experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Don't be fooled by the minority, I had my throttle actuators both replaced at 48k and last week I got the DSC message and it turns out to be a throttle actuator going out, yes it has been 70k miles since I had them replaced but nothing lasts forever. When one goes out that means the other is around the corner also.
These cars are expensive to maintain with just a simple fault to fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts